Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning in ear headphones

Options
  • 15-06-2009 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

If your like me then occasionally wax will build up in the buds and can block some of the sound coming out of the drivers through whatever kind of small holes you have in your pair.

I discovered this on another forum (private so I can't link) and it works really well and is cheap too!

1. Go to your local pharmacy and ask for some hydrogen peroxide solution, try not to get anything higher than about 30% as you may damage the plastic in the ear phones. It should cost about €4 maximum for a couple of hundred ml, which is loads.

2. Get a small plate (i use the bit where the cup rests in a tea saucer) and drop a small amount of the solution onto it. Enough to go into the holes on the earphones.

3. Remove any of the (for lack of a better term) removable ear fitting parts if you can on your headphones.

4. Rest the part of the headphones with the holes in, into the solution so that the solution goes through the holes. Do not immerse the whole headphone.

5. Leave for about an hour.

6. Dry them thoroughly before use.

Enjoy clean and hopefully better sounding headphones!

I have done this many times and the sound quality/volume certainly has improved after some nasty waxy buildup.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Sorry, is this for cleaning the actual electronic element of the headphones -- the internals? That would be great. I have some Etymotic ER6s which after a year are pretty revolting, especially because they're transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I tried this.. it totally works!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Well, it doesn't seem to have broken mine anyway, and they're definitely cleaner ;D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

eh, just a thought, how about cleaning your EARS instead.

feckin soapdodgers :D:D

Advertisement