Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Boards Discussion thread... (BBV thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Dav wrote: »
    I can assure you it's no red herring. I didn't say we weren't gonna make it happen, but we need to be careful about how and when we do this - *IF* we do this, it hasn't been decided. Either way, the old thread is locked and will stay locked forever.

No way, this isnt playing ball

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Boston wrote: »
    0_o I don't get what you're inferring. If the starpool didn't want comments on his soap boxing, he wouldn't have posted it.

you were making a counterproposal to 5star it seemed like? I was just interested to know who was making him an offer. I take it you're not a secret boards staff member then, but just someone who wishes he was (making offers to the mods, your "moderator land" tag)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Slash/ED wrote: »
    So the official line from the mods is trolling is okay if it's kept to your designated forum?

I'm not a mod.
    musician wrote: »
    As somebody who maintains large databases I'm a bit confused about this bringing the site down issue. If it's true fair enough but updating a series of posts to change whatever field links to recycle bin to point to the poker forum. I could run this query on 100000 rows in a table right now without any down time to anyone else. Again I don't know the specifics here but so far I've only seen "I think it is a problem" type posts.

There is no forum ID take for the thread. Every post has to be reinserted. It's not a simply case of changing a number on 60,000 rows.
    RoundTower wrote: »
    you were making a counterproposal to 5star it seemed like? I was just interested to know who was making him an offer. I take it you're not a secret boards staff member then, but just someone who wishes he was (making offers to the mods, your "moderator land" tag)?

I'm actually angling for starpool's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Who is Boston? Is he an admin? Is he a moderator? Why is his location Moderatorland?

He seems to be speaking from some sort of position of authority? Can a Mod/Admin clarify this for me please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

As somebody who maintains large databases I'm a bit confused about this bringing the site down issue. If it's true fair enough but updating a series of posts to change whatever field links to recycle bin to point to the poker forum. I could run this query on 100000 rows in a table right now without any down time to anyone else. Again I don't know the specifics here but so far I've only seen "I think it is a problem" type posts.

It has already been stated that it is not about updating a field. A move actually requires a large number of inserts into the database. A large number of inserts 60k+ happening at once would almost certainly have an effect on the site. It would be like 60K posts happening at once.

As for it not taking it down when it was moved the first time, maybe someone could shed some light on what time it was moved at?

However Dav has said already seemed to suggest that the technical issue is not stopping the move back happening, i.e Admins are still discussing the situation. The technical side will just determine when the move takes place if it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Onkle wrote: »
    The fresh start will be good imo. Means all the crap attached to the old one is gone.

The thread doesnt need a fresh start it is grand the way it is. "All the crap" let the poker forum deal with that, we as poker players already get tarred with brushes saying we are degenerates and whatnot, i think we can handle this.
    Here's my counter proposal.

1. How about you cop on and moderate in accordance to how the rest of the site is moderated or go elsewhere?

tylerdurden94: I don't know when that was but the database was redesigned recently enough and also the thread would have been much smaller.

It wouldnt of been too long ago either so the thread still would of been considerably large at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I'm not a mod.

There is no forum ID take for the thread. Every post has to be reinserted. It's not a simply case of changing a number on 60,000 rows.

What are you then? Beyond the obvious at least

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Dav wrote: »
    I can assure you it's no red herring. I didn't say we weren't gonna make it happen, but we need to be careful about how and when we do this - *IF* we do this, it hasn't been decided. Either way, the old thread is locked and will stay locked forever.

Last Thursday it was discussed in Boards HQ that something would have to be done with ALL large threads on this site, due to them causing problems with the database.
    They were apparently going to inform us of that fact this week.
    This is a side issue which we (the Admins) only found out about this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Who is Boston? Is he an admin? Is he a moderator? Why is his location Moderatorland?

He seems to be speaking from some sort of position of authority? Can a Mod/Admin clarify this for me please?

You don't need an Admin to clarify that.

He isn't a mod, or an Admin.

This, however, is a public thread on the public feedback forum.

He is as entitled as you are to post in it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

humanji wrote: »
    Would it not be an idea for everyone to just wait for the admins to make a final decision?

An admin has already stated "You will not be getting your old thread back.". Some are now implying we may get it back but it is closed for good. I can only speak for myself but my issue would remain even if it was moved back and kept closed. I don't think closing it a fair and reasonable response. Deleting specific posts, banning specific posters is all that is needed or was needed here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

This whole thing has spiralled because of the attitude of the poker forum users and is a direct result of the attitude and self-importance that seems to prevail in the poker forum as a whole. It's like listening to a bunch of kids who got a slap on the wrist for acting up start yelling "we're taking our ball and going home".

The poker forum is not special, it abides by the same rules as every other forum on this site, where common decency and respect for other posters and forums is an unspoken requisite, mainly as it shouldn't have to be pointed out to adults to be respectful to each other.

I modded the nocturnal forum for about 9 months. It also has an off-topic thread, the lair, which is larger than the BBV thread and is the heart of that community. If there was even a suggestion by posters in that thread of making fun of another forum I hammered down on it and even infracted and banned people for it. When the users of the forum got out of hand I locked the thread on numerous occasions.

The same thing applies to the poker forum as the nocturnal forum and I'll say the same thing here that I said there in such instances: it is not your playground, your forum is not any "better" than any other just because it means something to you. Even if you don't use any other part of boards, respect them as you would like the users of them to repect yours. Boards has given you a platform, respect it. Apparently the same mentality has not been fostered in the poker forum by either the users or the mods, which has led to this mess.

*this is not meant as a go at the nocturnal forum, I'm simply pointing out some correlations and how different approaches to the same matter have led to different result.

Des wrote: »
    You don't need an Admin to clarify that.

He isn't a mod, or an Admin.

This, however, is a public thread on the public feedback forum.

He is as entitled as you are to post in it.

yeah I have no problem with him posting in it either, it's a bit confusing when he's posing as an admin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't know the specifics behind the database myself, but moving the thread requires more than a single, "You live in this forum" pointer to be updated and it will also require a large number of statistics to be recalculated.
    yeah I have no problem with him posting in it either, it's a bit confusing when he's posing as an admin though.
    How is he posing as an admin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Last Thursday it was discussed in Boards HQ that something would have to be done with ALL large threads on this site, due to them causing problems with the database.

Perhaps you should tell the count to a million thread that they are wasting their time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Boston is not an admin or a mod currently, his is a long time post who know how the site works and what the ethos and the standards are for the site as a whole, something that seemingly some of the current poker mods slipped up on.

His tag line is just a tag line.

RoundTower wrote: »

He isn't posing as an Admin.

Des' Helpful Tip Of The Day : Admin have Italic & Bold Usernames, and the tagline Administrator under them.

Boston has neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

This is feedback and Boston can give his opinion just like everybody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Beruthiel wrote: »

Large posts should be locked, left where they are and a new one started underneath it with
    "Sorry lads, big threads bad for site"
    tag line in the first post

anyhu
    Meh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

orestes wrote: »
    This whole thing has spiralled because of the attitude of the poker forum users and is a direct result of the attitude and self-importance that seems to prevail in the poker forum as a whole. It's like listening to a bunch of kids who got a slap on the wrist for acting up start yelling "we're taking our ball and going home".

The poker forum is not special, it abides by the same rules as every other forum on this site, where common decency and respect for other posters and forums is an unspoken requisite, mainly as it shouldn't have to be pointed out to adults to be respectful to each other.

I modded the nocturnal forum for about 9 months. It also has an off-topic thread, the lair, which is larger than the BBV thread and is the heart of that community. If there was even a suggestion by posters in that thread of making fun of another forum I hammered down on it and even infracted and banned people for it. When the users of the forum got out of hand I locked the thread on numerous occasions.

The same thing applies to the poker forum as the nocturnal forum and I'll say the same thing here that I said there in such instances: it is not your playground, your forum is not any "better" than any other just because it means something to you. Even if you don't use any other part of boards, respect them as you would like the users of them to repect yours. Boards has given you a platform, respect it. Apparently the same mentality has not been fostered in the poker forum by either the users or the mods, which has led to this mess.

*this is not meant as a go at the nocturnal forum, I'm simply pointing out some correlations and how different approaches to the same matter have led to different result.

Blah blah blah, more jealously.

Amusing how we are so hated by randomers.

How are we displaying any bad attitude here, 99% of us did nothing wrong and have had our best thread removed and locked for good according to "Dav".

A few people who were bored and decided to troll do not speak for the largest forum on boards, the majority have done nothing wrong and do not deserve to be subjected to the rubbish you are posting above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

OK, I didn't clarify cause and that's my mistake, please accept my appologies for that folks (I got mixed up with some of these discussions revolving around this topic).

There is a seperate technical issue with Mega-Threads like the BBV causing some instability in the vBulletin database. I'm not 100% on the specific technical details, but I'll ask Ross or Conor to post about this.

As a result, we're going to cut down the size of these mega-threads. This will be coming into play for threads like the BGRH Bar, The Nocturnal Forum's Lair etc. This was only a discussion we started last Thursday in the office and we don't have a full and formal plan for it so we didn't bring it to anyone's attention (admins/mods/users) outside of the office until we had made a further analysis.

I can assure you it's not some sort of punisment measure, it's purely technical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭smurph

Hermy wrote: »
    Crap like this perhaps.
    If KevIrl had nipped this in the bud when it started the BBV thread would still be going strong and heading for 70,000 posts. Instead he actively encouraged the trolling and offensive posting which rightly or wrongly led to the removal of the BBV thread.

Thanks for linking us to the BBV thread, and then to the Cuckoo's nest, I see that most of the people who posted in the "count to a squillion, million" have been banned, so could you please bring back the BBV thread where it belongs and lets all have a nice big dose of "Common Sense"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Weird how all these technical issues have coincidentally appeared at this very moment. What timing!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

orestes wrote: »

Well said orestes.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Killme00 wrote: »
    Perhaps you should tell the count to a million thread that they are wasting their time.

IF that thread gets to half a million and has to be locked they will just start counting in the new thread.

Same thing happened then the old Sarky in my orifice thread had to be closed and a new one reopened, it's not the end of the world and I am sure that it will be the same with the bar thread in BGRH the same as on every other VB site I have been on which threads hit a critical mass.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Amusing how we are so hated by randomers.

You get that will the majority of the large forums.

I mean, every time there is a thread about Soccer, the usual suspects come out to play and have a pop at the Soccer Forum.

It's pathetic, in my opinion. But as I said above, everyone is entitled to their opinion if a thread is in Feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Slash/ED wrote: »
    Weird how all these technical issues have coincidentally appeared at this very moment. What timing!

They haven't. Large threads have been mentioned as a problem before. Other forums have taken actions in the past to counter them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

mdwexford wrote: »
    Blah blah blah, more jealously.

Jealousy? Of what exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Thaedydal wrote: »
    IF that thread gets to half a million and has to be locked they will just start counting in the new thread.

Same thing happened then the old Sarky in my orifice thread had to be closed and a new one reopened, it's not the end of the world.

OK, so is half a million posts the limit, if not what is?

BBV only had 60k

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I thought the issue with big threads was known and the soccer mods/photography mods/etc. weren't just restarting big threads for the good of their health.

Seems I was wrong though.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    How is he posing as an admin?
    smashey wrote: »
    This is feedback and Boston can give his opinion just like everybody else.

this post was what misled me, and apparently other posters. It's not exactly clear that it's just "his opinion" in this post. I understand exactly what he is nnow though.
    Here's my counter proposal.

1. How about you cop on and moderate in accordance to how the rest of the site is moderated or go elsewhere?

tylerdurden94: I don't know when that was but the database was redesigned recently enough and also the thread would have been much smaller.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement