Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Boards Discussion thread... (BBV thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

They haven't. Large threads have been mentioned as a problem before. Other forums have taken actions in the past to counter them.

True that.

The Liverpool and Man Utd mega threads in the Soccer Forum have been locked and re-started on a number of occasions in the past.

Slash, you know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

They haven't. Large threads have been mentioned as a problem before. Other forums have taken actions in the past to counter them.

Yet someone just said a thread could go to half a million and be okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

orestes wrote: »
    Jealousy? Of what exactly?

You tell me, you're the one whos jealous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Des wrote: »
    True that.

The Liverpool and Man Utd mega threads in the Soccer Forum have been locked and re-started on a number of occasions in the past.

Slash, you know this.

Every year I have been around they have been restarted for the next season.

There have been others as well.

Slash/ED wrote: »

They are most likely wrong.

Slash, you know this.

I actually didn't, I don't read the soccer forum much anymore. But what is the cut off point? Someone just said half a million, think BBV had 60k, so long way to go yet...i just find it weird that suddenly threads couldn't be moved, wait sh-t that makes no sense, they can be moved but eh we have to close it because just now it's become too big, all these problems emerging at this very weekend...It hardly takes a CT forum reg to realise that that's a tad odd.

I woudl have assumed it was a seasonal thing with the football megathreads. No point having a Man U megathread where the opening post is about Dwight Yorke signing, as it just would be pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To be fair, all of the big threads disappeared about 2(?) years ago when the site was really crawling at one stage. So their impact has been known, but newer hardware meant that the impact was minimised. It's only with the addition of new staff that the resources to come up with a long-term solution have become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

You don't need an Admin to clarify that.

He isn't a mod, or an Admin.

This, however, is a public thread on the public feedback forum.

He is as entitled as you are to post in it.
    smashey wrote: »
    This is feedback and Boston can give his opinion just like everybody else.
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Boston is not an admin or a mod currently, his is a long time post who know how the site works and what the ethos and the standards are for the site as a whole, something that seemingly some of the current poker mods slipped up on.

His tag line is just a tag line.

Alright Lads, calm down, I was just asking for clarification. I never once said he couldn't give his opinion I was simply asking to know if this opinion is coming from a place of authority or just a regular user.

Now I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Killme00 wrote: »
    OK, so is half a million posts the limit, if not what is?

BBV only had 60k

I gave that as an example, I am not boards.ie technical staff,
    those that are and manage the servers and the date base will be informing the Admins of what the limits are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

mdwexford wrote: »
    You tell me, you're the one whos jealous.

Quit with the bickering please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Good answer.

Nearly as good as your stupid generalisation of thousands of posters based on the actions of a handfull eh.

edit - finished with the bickering

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

That was just an example, there really is no need to be so pedantic.

It seems to me that this thread has run out of steam and now people are bored and debating which forum is best/biggest/least important for some reason which is how, I'm guessing, this whole fucking mess started.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

This whole thing has spiralled because of the attitude of the poker forum users and is a direct result of the attitude and self-importance that seems to prevail in the poker forum as a whole. It's like listening to a bunch of kids who got a slap on the wrist for acting up start yelling "we're taking our ball and going home".

The poker forum is not special, it abides by the same rules as every other forum on this site, where common decency and respect for other posters and forums is an unspoken requisite, mainly as it shouldn't have to be pointed out to adults to be respectful to each other.

I modded the nocturnal forum for about 9 months. It also has an off-topic thread, the lair, which is larger than the BBV thread and is the heart of that community. If there was even a suggestion by posters in that thread of making fun of another forum I hammered down on it and even infracted and banned people for it. When the users of the forum got out of hand I locked the thread on numerous occasions.

The same thing applies to the poker forum as the nocturnal forum and I'll say the same thing here that I said there in such instances: it is not your playground, your forum is not any "better" than any other just because it means something to you. Even if you don't use any other part of boards, respect them as you would like the users of them to repect yours. Boards has given you a platform, respect it. Apparently the same mentality has not been fostered in the poker forum by either the users or the mods, which has led to this mess.

*this is not meant as a go at the nocturnal forum, I'm simply pointing out some correlations and how different approaches to the same matter have led to different result.

I moderated the poker forum for quite some time. I don't agree with people using the "forum of the year", "most important forum on boards" or "it's special" arguments as it just avoids the real issues. Posters have been banned from poker, posts deleted, threads closed. Constantly. A long time ago we decided to use a 3 strikes and your out policy depending on the crime committed. It worked a charm considering the traffic and arguments that often broke out. I never had a complaint from any admins that we were running a cowboy outfit letting people away with anything. Just plain silly to suggest otherwise or that to be against the admins action in this is to be advocating some kind of freer policy on boards. Nowhere near it. Sanity is all I ever looked for from moderators or admins.

Regardless of the poker forums value to anyone outside the poker forum itself the reality is and always has been that it is a very busy forum. I quit for various reasons but one was I just didn't have the time anymore. The moderators on poker have always been excellent. I'm not going to pin a "best on boards" badge on them just acknowledge the hard work involved because I lived it myself.

To suggest there is some kind of agreement in the poker forum that we are something different or better is ridiculous and offensive and frankly smacks of the kind of personal feelings that I think may have played a part in the decision making in this whole matter.

Look back through the poker forums history. Have a look at the closed threads, the banned posters, reported/deleted posts. Or just take my word for it. It's not bandit country. 4 moderators have resigned over this and yet you can't look at this objectively and think maybe the reaction to this matter was a tad ott. I'm at a complete loss to understand the admins over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Boston wrote: »
    Didn't you storm off in a huff?

Hmm, the ability to apply logic may not be your special skill. I have stormed off in a huff because:

A) I strongly believe that the punishment applied by the Admins is way out of proportion with the crime concerned;
    B) I utterly resent and detest the manner in which my fellow mods, my fellow poker forum regulars and I have been dealt with by the Admins over the past couple of days;

You offered me* the option to go back to moderating under those terms and just get on with it. So again, to that I say:

No dice. But thanks for playing.

You dig hombre?

*LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Lao Lao

Onkle wrote: »
    What I'm saying is that there is a whole horrible stigma attached to the thread now. I thought the thread was gas. I didn't post in it not being one of the regulars and I don't play poker for real money so not so hardcore like the rest of ye :)

Imagine this. Your local pub, open since 1897, never a whiff of trouble and then one Friday night some lad gets shot. Do you think that pub will find it easy to have bums on seats the following Friday? I'm far from having a go here. I just think it's time to move forward and start things off on the right foot

Seriously, I've bitten my tonigue reading all your posts in this thread so far but this is just absolute nonsense. please stop posting in this thread as you clearly have an anti-poker bias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

RoundTower wrote: »
    you were making a counterproposal to 5star it seemed like? I was just interested to know who was making him an offer. I take it you're not a secret boards staff member then, but just someone who wishes he was (making offers to the mods, your "moderator land" tag)?
    Who is Boston? Is he an admin? Is he a moderator? Why is his location Moderatorland?

He seems to be speaking from some sort of position of authority? Can a Mod/Admin clarify this for me please?
    What are you then? Beyond the obvious at least
    RoundTower wrote: »
    this post was what misled me, and apparently other posters. It's not exactly clear that it's just "his opinion" in this post. I understand exactly what he is nnow though.

As a boards.ie Admin I can officially say that Boston is not an admin. Purple monkey dishwater.

Please, the above implication is clear, that unless you're an admin, you shouldn't have an opinion. There is one reason I'm not a mod and thats so I can voice my opinions fully on threads like this without someone trying to infer my opinions is anything more or less than my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭smurph

5starpool wrote: »
    Cross posted from a post by me in the poker mod forum.

============================
    The statements that our moderation of the poker forum will have to change because of this is the deal breaker. Whatever happened previously in the GY incident has not bearing on this as that was a seperate issue and had been dealt with I thought. Insinuations that we condone forum invasions are off the mark.

Kev has admitted that he made a mistake at the time, but that seems not to be enough. He has said he is willing to accept some form of censure if you deem it appropriate. Ste saw some of the posts but after Kevs post saying "ah calm down lads, don't post abuse", I'm assuming that he thought the issue was dealt with. Myself, Laf and Lloyd were not online at the time.

We were not given the opportunity to sort this out imo. Speaking for myself, if this all ends in a big hug, then I would not be prepared to change the way I moderate, and have done for the last few years. I do not condone this behaviour, and having poker bans handed out in respect to all the people involved on the night is fine with me, but I would assume that it would be along the lines of 2 weeks for each, and those you have sitebanned, that is totally your call, I have no issues with it.

If the big threads thing is as much an issue as being said (and I have no reason to disbelieve you, this is what I would consider suitable steps (suggestion, not ultimatum).

1. We have accepted, and also previously knew, that what happened the other night is not on. Ste's points on how he would deal with this in future, are how I would also.
    2. Post a general announcement in feedback or affected forums about really big threads, and say when they will be closed and new ones started. This will get a lot of the poker posters away from the victimisation mentality. Also say when they should be closed and new ones started in iteration (say 20k or whatever).
    3. Delete the new bbv with the crap in it, move the old locked one back to poker, and in light of the above sitewide decision, start a new one. Leave any bold boys comments to mods as a courtesy as I really think it would be more effective. We could agree the general tone of it beforehand.
    4. We moderate as before, but in light of previous, no messing around about other mods/forums will be allowed.
    5. We will still allow others to link to silly CT threads or whatever, and discuss them there, but not with carte blanche of course. Posts like 'what a silly thread, link' are still ok as far as I am concerned. Abuse of specific posters on those threads is not ok though.
    6. When we need an admin hand we call for one. I think the suggestion that we only go to DeV is wrong. I have previously had PM conversatiosn with several of the admins, as well as posting general mod forum threads for input, legal forum threads, and of course mod forum threads where we have asked for general admin opinion. I don't think anyone is saying that one admin or another should only deal with us.
    7. We still of course recognise admin primacy on boards, but taking such a drastic step as was taken here is something that really does make you wonder if it is all worth it. there have been countless times where I have felt like resigning as poker mod due to one drama or other (internal) but because of the bond I have developed with the posters and the forum in general, I have not. A hand to steer and nudge things in a direction is how I view admins input into forums ethos, what I consider to be interference is not how I view it. Before anyone points it out, I do know how this site works and that admins do as they wish etc, but I am just putting forward my view into it.

I have no wish to see the poker forum in essence move elsewhere. A large part of what we are is because of where we are, but this is not just about the thread, and it never was. If this all boils down to an agreement being reached, and the mods both agreeing to stay on, and allowed to stay on (it is a 2 way discussion between us and admins I presume) then I will be delighted move on. It will not move on though if there is a percepion of people looking over your shoulder the whole time.

I moved up and down through this post as I thought of more things, so I hope it hangs together. Then general vibe should be clear though I think.

Here's my counter proposal.

1. How about you cop on and moderate in accordance to how the rest of the site is moderated or go elsewhere?

tylerdurden94: I don't know when that was but the database was redesigned recently enough and also the thread would have been much smaller.

Yes I do agree that Boston has a right to post here, but I think that he is deliberately trying to Antagonise the poker Mods. In fairness, I know 5starpool put alot of thought into his reply above, and comments from Boston, is just adding fuel to the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Killme00 wrote: »
    OK, so is half a million posts the limit, if not what is?

BBV only had 60k
    There's no actual limit. Technically a thread can have up to 18 billion billion posts. Or 2 billion, depending on the server software. However, as the number of posts increases, so too does the load on the hardware. So setting an artificial limit makes sense. That's up to the boards techs to decide on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I actually didn't, I don't read the soccer forum much anymore. But what is the cut off point? Someone just said half a million, think BBV had 60k, so long way to go yet...i just find it weird that suddenly threads couldn't be moved, wait sh-t that makes no sense, they can be moved but eh we have to close it because just now it's become too big, all these problems emerging at this very weekend...It hardly takes a CT forum reg to realise that that's a tad odd.

I woudl have assumed it was a seasonal thing with the football megathreads. No point having a Man U megathread where the opening post is about Dwight Yorke signing, as it just would be pointless.

Nope they were restarted to keep the thread size down and manageable. The seasonal thing was just a logical way of doing it. I have seen other threads restarted by mods before due to their size.

I don't know the cut off point, I don't know if anyone does, in fact I doubt there is a magic number that will then cause the DB to tip over. It just a matter of picking a logical time to restart it, or picking an actual number.

Logical works for the soccer mega threads, an actual number would be best for off topic threads, or general chit chat threads.

It seems to me that this thread has run out of steam and now people are bored and debating which forum is best/biggest/least important for some reason which is how, I'm guessing, this whole fucking mess started.

In my whole time posting on Boards, Poker or otherwise, I've never seen a poker forum poster talk about or give a sh-t about whether that forum was bigger than any other, where are you getting this from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

seamus wrote: »
    There's no actual limit. Technically a thread can have up to 18 billion billion posts. Or 2 billion, depending on the server software. However, as the number of posts increases, so too does the load on the hardware. So setting an artificial limit makes sense. That's up to the boards techs to decide on.

I'll take the under on 69370. Anyone ?

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

seamus wrote: »

60k posts is nothing, give us back our thread and stop with the nonsense, please;)

smurph wrote: »
    Yes I do agree that Boston has a right to post here, but I think that he is deliberately trying to Antagonise the poker Mods. In fairness, I know 5starpool put alot of thought into his reply above, and comments from Boston, is just adding fuel to the fire.

Maybe I should have posted it over on the BBV thread, I mean everything goes on that thread.

Also, I don't appreciate being mentioned on a thread I've never posted on.

Maybe I should have posted it over on the BBV thread, I mean everything goes on that thread.

Don't google your name then because I think you get mentioned all over the place :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Oooooh, kind of close, but then again - waaaay off.

Why don't you guess again? Or even better, try and get up to speed on what the issues are, what happened and who said what so that when you exercise your right to venture your opinion - it can be a somewhat informed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭smurph

what thread???

Look were going around in circles here, I have given my opinion, maybe a biased one, but there you go...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Since we seem to be allowed to disparage people in this thread with little or no consequence, the fact that I don't like some people (such as Thaedayal, Orestes, Boston, Onkle to mention only the ones that have posted here) should mean that I don't care what they say since they have no bearing, influence or power over me, but to imply that I am not carrying out my moderator duties is an insult that is would not be let slide by admins for other mods I feel, but since poker is in the bold corner at the moment it is only poker posters that are getting wrists slapped it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

smashey wrote: »
    This is feedback and Boston can give his opinion just like everybody else.

Don't think anyone was contesting that?
    Tbh I was a bit confused as to his status aswell.

The whole situation seems very clear to me and goes far beyond a bit of messing in the BBV thread. The users of the poker forum are very happy with the way the poker forum is modded while the admins are not.
    As it is the admin's site it seems that the only solution is for the users of the poker forum to find somewhere else to go.

I don't think it's such a big deal.
    It's clear we won't be missed
    Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out lads.

and to be honest with a statement like this

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Boston is a long time poster who knows how the site works and what the ethos and the standards are for the site as a whole, something that seemingly some of the current poker mods slipped up on.

we won't miss you either.

Since we seem to be allowed to disparage people in this thread with little or no consequence, the fact that I don't like some people (such as Thaedayal, Orestes, Boston, Onkle to mention only the ones that have posted here) should mean that I don't care what they say since they have no bearing, influence or power over me, but to imply that I am not carrying out my moderator duties is an insult that is would not be let slide by admins for other mods I feel, but since poker is in the bold corner at the moment it is only poker posters that are getting wrists slapped it seems.

I don't believe I've ever interacted with you before. On what basis besides this thread have you formed the opinion that you don't like me? Maybe if you were less concerned with being righteously insulted by my repudiations, you'd recognise the mistakes you and the other mods made and learn from them. Perhaps not though...

I can't believe people are questioning the poker mods anyway.

1. They moderate one of the biggest and most successful parts of Boards afaik in terms of views, post counts, etc
    2. I'd imagine, again could be wrong, they do moderate the single biggest and most successful part of Boards in terms of community spirit etc.
    3. All the regs, semi regs and lurkers of the poker forum agree that they do a fantastic job. This kind of universal agreement seems to happen in few to no other forums, EVERYONE says they do a great job, they helped make poker what it is, and nobody has a problem with them.
    4. The forum runs and works perfectly. Spam is deleted, trolls dealt with, and every discussion moves on perfectly from the nonsense to the hand historys to the game theory discussions, all have their place and exist brilliantly with as good a signal/noise ratio as I've seen anywhere.

Is that above not their bloody job? Satisfied customers, flourishing forum, everyone's happy...That's surely their job and the criteria they are judged on! If not, what is? Surely customer satisfaction is the main thing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

5starpool if you have any issue with any of my posts then please report them.
    Personally I don't know you and would not presume to not like you and I have not said that you personally have been out of line as a mod of the poker forum at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement