Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Boards Discussion thread... (BBV thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

5starpool wrote: »
    Since we seem to be allowed to disparage people in this thread with little or no consequence, the fact that I don't like some people (such as Thaedayal, Orestes, Boston, Onkle to mention only the ones that have posted here) should mean that I don't care what they say since they have no bearing, influence or power over me, but to imply that I am not carrying out my moderator duties is an insult that is would not be let slide by admins for other mods I feel, but since poker is in the bold corner at the moment it is only poker posters that are getting wrists slapped it seems.
    I don't feel the need to tell the thread about what has and hasn't been infracted. You can see it for yourself beneath the posts.

You know where the report button is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Slash/ED wrote: »
    I can't believe people are questioning the poker mods anyway.

1. They moderate one of the biggest and most successful parts of Boards afaik in terms of views, post counts, etc
    2. I'd imagine, again could be wrong, they do moderate the single biggest and most successful part of Boards in terms of community spirit etc.
    3. All the regs, semi regs and lurkers of the poker forum agree that they do a fantastic job. This kind of universal agreement seems to happen in few to no other forums, EVERYONE says they do a great job, they helped make poker what it is, and nobody has a problem with them.
    4. The forum runs and works perfectly. Spam is deleted, trolls dealt with, and every discussion moves on perfectly from the nonsense to the hand historys to the game theory discussions, all have their place and exist brilliantly with as good a signal/noise ratio as I've seen anywhere.

Is that above not their bloody job? Satisfied customers, flourishing forum, everyone's happy...That's surely their job and the criteria they are judged on! If not, what is? Surely customer satisfaction is the main thing?

How is order maintained by the mods? By allowing, nei, encouraging regulars to troll on other forums. I'll not support one forum over the rest the site. You're part of a bigger community and should recognise that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

All seems to have got a bit personal and off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Boston wrote: »
    How is order maintained by the mods? By allowing, nei, encouraging regulars to troll on other forums. I'll not support one forum over the rest the site. You're part of a bigger community and should recognise that fact.

It was one time, for god sake, stop posting the same thing over and over

It's one thread. Get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

First of all I have to majory doubt the character of anyone who says nei, but especially online.

Order is encouraged, nei, MAINTAINED by the mods and has been since poker started. One incident happened, which I didn't even see, so why aren't those people dealt with, NEI, punished even as the individuals themselves who started it? It's not some collective mentality! "The mods" encouraged regulars to troll? All of them, as inividuals, really? Any individual involved should be punished, life goes on, as it happenes throughout boards, NEI, throughout the internet in general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

No it wasn't, that's the problem. This wasn't an isolated incident, so apparently there is something wrong that goes a little deeper than the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

God you are annoying.

All this guy is doing is trolling to cause a reaction to poker forum mods and members, he has no clue of the workings of the poker forum and is making ill founded comments.

Get over it!? From the man who's taking time out of his doubtless super active day to post on something he isn't remotely involved in, you're telling others to get over it? Seriously? :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

WOO

okay, you have your new BBV thread and you can still view the old one, so to me that would mean the problem has been solved - NO?

i would suggest a big group hug and then everyone can get on their way.

these things happen but you have to let go, learn from your mistake and move on

So come on people - BIG GROUP HUG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

I don't believe I've ever interacted with you before. On what basis besides this thread have you formed the opinion that you don't like me? Maybe if you were less concerned with being righteously insulted by my repudiations, you'd recognise the mistakes you and the other mods made and learn from them. Perhaps not though...

greasefirebotib1.png

WOO

okay, you have your new BBV thread and you can still view the old one, so to me that would mean the problem has been solved - NO?

Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,432 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Post Reported.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Is that above not their bloody job?

I believe that some people's point is that the poker mods had the power to stop all this from happening by properly moderating the BBV thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Can i get banned for posting my opinion in here, admins

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

4. The forum runs and works perfectly.
    Indeed it runs so well that we're all in here discussing that very fact.
    It does not run perfectly. If that was the case I wouldn't be here posting right now about moderators who actively encourage posters to troll other forums and refer to other posters as retards!

Genealogy Forum Mod

mdwexford wrote: »
    God you are annoying.

All this guy is doing is trolling to cause a reaction to poker forum mods and members, he has no clue of the workings of the poker forum and is making ill founded comments.

First I was an Admin, now I'm a troll, who or what will I be next?
    First of all I have to majory doubt the character of anyone who says nei, but especially online.

Order is encouraged, nei, MAINTAINED by the mods and has been since poker started. One incident happened, which I didn't even see, so why aren't those people dealt with, NEI, punished even as the individuals themselves who started it? It's not some collective mentality! "The mods" encouraged regulars to troll? All of them, as inividuals, really? Any individual involved should be punished, life goes on, as it happenes throughout boards, NEI, throughout the internet in general

One mod encouraged it, the others didn't over rule them. That makes them culpable. Hey, I said right at the start I think the thread should be restored, but I don't think the current mods should continue moding that forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭The Snapper

Some of this....

777102792_93f3c8986f.jpg?v=0

Lots of this....

mousewheel4c.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

Boston are you one of those guys that buds his nose into everything hes not supposed to. I bet you object to lots of planning permission applications near you as a hobby. Youve a right to an opinion sure but this discussion is nothing to do with you. So bud out imo...
    It seems to me that der is a lot of mods/smods thinkin the rule the roost and that its there way or the highway.
    At the end of the day this dilemma could have easily been solved wit some level headed thinking but instead a few guys got on their high horses and thus removed the BBV instead of handing out bans and warnings to all of the offenders and thus punishing all the poker forum.
    As has been stated the BBV is a great thread and integrates alot of interaction and creates a lot of friendships etc. Its also a great place to learn as some of the discussions between some of the guys is great, and their traits of thinking are second to none. To lose this would be criminal imo and will be the downfall of the poker forum. Maybe the great powers that be want this and so be it.
    To the 4 mods that have resigned from our poker forum i respect your desicions. I always thought ye done a great job and well i hope ye all dont jack up and leave over this cos your invaluable to our forum.
    Oh yeah macs youve 2000 posts ish in the BBV...1998 of those are bad beats when your aces got cracked...We wont miss those (we will though) :D

I really hope the BBV can be reinstated and this matter can be put behind us....Oh yeah why wasnt der as much effort getting rid of that DBC cnut when he started all his crap....:rolleyes:

Hermy wrote: »
    If that was the case I wouldn't be here posting right now about moderators who actively encourage posters to troll other forums and refer to other posters as retards!

Erroneuous statement, withdraw it immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,432 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Hermy wrote: »
    If that was the case I wouldn't be here posting right now about moderators who actively encourage posters to troll other forums

FFS, it was one drunken moderator, on one occasion, for which he has apologised.

This reminds me of the Springfield Bear Tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

WOO

No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

careful now

Ponster wrote: »
    I believe that some people's point is that the poker mods had the power to stop all this from happening by properly moderating the BBV thread?

Definie properly modding...Because I'd imagine it's something like modding in such a way as the customer base is entirely satisfied with how they run it, that their forum runs completely successfully and becomes one of the biggest on Boards. Is that proerply modding it? Who of the mods was even online when this went down if you want to accuse them all of not doing their jobs?
    Indeed it runs so well that we're all in here discussing that very fact.
    It does not run perfectly. If that was the case I wouldn't be here posting right now about moderators who actively encourage posters to troll other forums and refer to other posters as retards!

If any moderator actively encouraged someone to call someone a retard, here's an idea, DEAL WITH THAT MODERATOR.

Also for clarification, moderators calling people retards, bad, moderators making light of cancer victims, good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

The technical limit on the maximum number of posts in a thread is not one we can quantify easily. The limit is when a database query operating on that thread becomes too slow to complete before it times out. There are lots of queries that operate on the thread and post tables and we don't know the performance characteristics of all of them when they're performed on large threads.

Last week I was working on a potential performance optimisation*. Since it involved writing a database query which worked on a thread, I tested it against several threads which were likely to be good test cases (threads with lots of posts, threads with lots of edits/deletions, etc). The Lair was one of the threads tested and the query performed very badly. I had a quick chat with Dav about it and asked pretty much "If it turns out that we have to lock and restart The Lair will it cause a lot of hassle?". We agreed that we'd keep an eye on the big threads and cross that bridge when we come to it.

Some operations like moving a thread or deleting lots of posts can take a very long time if they happen to a thread with a lot of posts. I haven't gone through all the thread-manipulation queries and profiled them so I'm worried that there is a way of causing stability or performance issues if there's a large enough thread in the system. Many of ye remember times when Ross needed to recover a crashed post table or when the site got so slow as to be unusable, I don't think any of us want to go there if we can avoid it.

In short, the answer to "how big is too big?" is "whenever we see a non-trivial amount of slow queries which are related to a particular thread". I can't predict when or where that will happen but if it does, please remember that we'll probably only be breaking up a thread, not deleting it altogether.

* To make vBulletin handle conditional GET requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Banning people from feedback isn't a course of action I like to take. If your opinion's presented in a non-vitriolic non-abusive way I can't see how that would happen.
    a jackass IMO
    Then again, that was just a waste of electrons.
    Whyno wrote: »
    Oh yeah why wasnt der as much effort getting rid of that DBC cnut when he started all his crap....:rolleyes:
    I'm guessing you've no idea how much effort both the poker mods (especially) and the admins put into keeping DBC away from posting continuous crap with multiple accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Wolves

The poker forum community is proud of itself and comes across as such. Maybe it comes across as arrogant to others. I am a member of it and i can see this. I can also see that some people have a grudge against this community.

If you think we are arrogant or insular or otherwise that is fine. Maybe to some a small extent your perception is correct. But as we are insular we will defend ourselves and the poker mods against some of the rubbish that has been spouted in this thread.

Bottom line guys. The cuckoos nest thing shouldn't have happened and we have acknowledged that over and over again. But the response to it shouldn't have happened either.

We are all happy to admit to our mistakes and those involved are happy to take individual punishments. Are we the only ones who are big enough to admit our faults in this matter?

First I was an Admin, now I'm a troll, who or what will I be next?

I really wish i could tell you.

Imo you are a nosey person who has no business being so involved in this thread but presumably have nothing better to do. You are posting things to get reactions and are being successful, presumably because you have 13k posts you are being let away with it.

Thanks for clearing that up Conor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you post in an inflammatory and/or abusive manner yes, as per the site wide rules.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement