Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Boards Discussion thread... (BBV thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Icarus152 wrote: »
    What would the charge be against the entire pub and on what evidence?

Guys you might as well drop THIS analogy given that this HAS happened more or less, in Cork, in.. (was it the Three One's at the time?)

Largest toilets in Cork the police joked afterwards because that's where everyone was when the shooting happened.

Killme00 wrote: »
    How is that ironic?

It became a race! and a gamble and the poker team lost. ;)

As I said earlier, the count to a million thread is just a bit of fun - most of us who post there just do it to see how high we can actually get the post count and maybe get to the top of the most posts list.
    But that will never happen as the top two threads are more popular and incrementing faster than the CTAM thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

RoundTower wrote: »
    A lot of people have posted stuff along the lines of "well it was just a few bad apples, why punish the whole poker forum?" This is missing the point. The Cuckoo's Nest thing is just a tipping point, many people outside the poker forum hate the idea of the BBV thread and this is an opportunity for them to lobby for it to be gone.

Think of it this way. Suppose you're the moderator of the notoriously contentious and juvenile Badminton forum on a popular site like tables.ie. You don't actually play badminton or follow any professional badminton, but what really gets you wet is the power to ban people you don't like safe in the knowledge the other badminton mods will have your back. Now suppose you see hundreds of badminton-related posts in the the poker forum, particularly when there's a big event like the Badminton League of Champions, many of which would be grounds for a banning under your capricious rules.

Do you not think you would feel a little premenstrual when you realised that these posts were being allowed in the poker forum, a place where you had no control, but that if they had to be moved to your forum you would get to feel that tingly feeling you haven't felt outside the internet since 2003?

Now -- this is important -- I'm not saying the current badminton mods on boards are like this. In fact I know the majority of mods aren't like this at all. But if there are a few vocal mods like this who complain about the toys their friends are getting, you can see how there could be pressure on the likes of DeV not to allow the BBV thread.
    RoundTower wrote: »
    Alternatively, suppose you're the moderator of the interesting, but dwindling Red Wine forum on the same website. You're not petty like the previous mod. You really do have a passion for wine tasting and discussion, and treat the posters there with respect, but your self-worth is partly unhealthily tied to the health of the forum you mod. Sadly your forum has lost popularity in the last twelve months, not due to anything you did but because more people have less money are just happy to buy a €6 bottle of plonk. Now you see hundreds of posts in the poker forum about red wine. You think that if these posts were part of your forum you might rejuvenate discussion. Never mind the fact that these posts would never have happened in your forum if there was no poker forum at all -- mightn't you feel a bit jealous and resentful?

Once again I'm not saying the current red wine mods are like this. But it's extremely clear that there are forces outside the poker forum who do not like the BBV thread in any form, and I'm trying to show some reasons why.

This is what needs to be discussed openly.
    Either we as a random group of people with a shared common interest are welcome on boards.ie to have a thread for general discussion that includes but goes beyond our common interest or we are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I don't post much but do lurk a lot on the BBV. This whole issue seems ridiculous in the extreme. It was a bloody bit of messing between two forums (with one forum being majorly in the wrong). It's not like they waiting outside some real life meeting of the TCN and physically beat them up. It's the internet for crying out loud. To mass punish an entire community for the actions of a few is wrong in any walk of life. It seems to me the modding of the entire site has changed since "investors" and "shareholders" got involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

DeVore wrote: »
    2. It wont be starting up again. We may put it back but:

3. Actually moving such a big thread is extremely bad for the site because the post table has no forum id so for every post in the thread a write to the database has to happen.

If that was the case it should have been explicitly noted to us from the outset
    If that was the case I believe it would have been explicitly noted to us from the outset
    If that was the case then Gordon should not have taken that action, it seems a disgracefully rash action on the part of an SMod if they know it probably can't be reversed
    I'm not terribly convinced that is the case to be honest because of all of the above
    Using this as an excuse now is laughable

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Off topic threads are fine.

Whats not fine is using them as springboards to attack other parts of the site. The rest of this has spun out of control because everyone is getting on their high horses.

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If that was the case it should have been explicitly noted to us from the outset
    If that was the case I believe it would have been explicitly noted to us from the outset
    If that was the case then Gordon should not have taken that action, it seems a disgracefully rash action on the part of an SMod if they know it probably can't be reversed
    I'm not terribly convinced that is the case to be honest because of all of the above
    Using this as an excuse now is laughable
    Its not an excuse at all LL. I was only talking to Ross and Conor about it on Thursday. The other admins dont know about the issue in fact. Anyway, I only mentioned it because its part of the reason that at 1am last night I didnt move the thread back.

I started a new thread and that will suffice for now. A new start all round was what I had in mind, but instead this is the outcome. :rolleyes:

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

It became a race! and a gamble and the poker team lost. ;)

As I said earlier, the count to a million thread is just a bit of fun - most of us who post there just do it to see how high we can actually get the post count and maybe get to the top of the most posts list.
    But that will never happen as the top two threads are more popular and incrementing faster than the CTAM thread.

Fair play to ye,look,messing with your thread was wrong.Ye do yere thing and we do ours.The lads were out of order, IMO,most BBV'ers couldn't care less about who has the most posts or what goes on in other fora(I hate that word BTW.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

I have crossed swords with some of the poker mods for over modding some of my posts so it seems laughable that they are accused of not doing an appropriate job on the poker forum. Here is something that I don't think you admins realise. The BBV forum updates fairly quickly, look at the pages. There have been countless threads in feedback where you guys have said, er I'm sorry we didn't react because the post wasn't reported. So did you go back into the forum and preach to the posters that there are posts getting through the report filter. Come on that is alughable. The hypocricy from the admins is stunning. There are over ONE MILLION hits on the BBV, you want to eliminate these hit? You like to go on TV proud as punch as to how your site is flourishing? Well count this weekend as the day you have peaked. As for DEv to say let's not get all dramatic? Is YOU GUY the ADMINS that have gone all dramatic, having a concalve and closing the dorrs to the reast of the world until your decision is reached, then you send out mixed messages? Even in Devs line "It wont be starting up again. We may put it back but" is a mixed message.

I have been the very man who would have loved this reaction to one of my posts as I probably tick a lot of the boxes in the photofit for a troll.(well in the past mainly) However the guys you have upset have dedicated a lot of thier own time and energy to this site, they have enforced your rules daily and I know one in particular who spent a whole night deleting some idiots relentless attack on the forum. Look up fascism in the dictionary lads.

forgive my spellinz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

This whole situation makes me feel like i'm back in school.

I can see where the admins are coming from BUT sweet Jesus just wipe out the whole thread? Yeah, real community spirit there.

Don't blame yee for stepping down lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Down with this sort of thing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

no point in being repetitive as anything worth saying about this fiasco has already being said but I'd just like to say thanks to 5starpool, Kev, Ste05 and Lloyd for their modding of the poker forum down the years and well done on standing up for your principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

What is BBV?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

Off topic threads are fine.

Whats not fine is using them as springboards to attack other parts of the site. The rest of this has spun out of control because everyone is getting on their high horses.

DeV.

firstly thanks dev for coming on here are at least giving us your side of it..

No one is disputing that what was done was wrong.. All we are asking for is for you to deal with them as individuals and not target the whole poker community as a whole..

And thats certainly fair wouldn't you agree?

I for one was not part of what happened and beleive I have contributed and get a lot of help from the poker forum and the BBV... I have over 2000 posts in there and have personally never seen anything that would result in the thread being deleted..

So with all due respect Dev, I ask that the old post be put back up and let us continue on as before with your strict warnings in place..

I am not a child and don't like being treated like one...

I, like you, am a businessman and if from nothing else but a business point of view I think you should reconsider the decision and put this to rest..

Paul McLoughlin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

All I can say is that no matter what the actual wrong-doing of the BBV thread was - the actions of the Admins has resulted that one of the most popular and imo one of the most influential fourms in terms of putting boards.ie on the map, is now in jeopardy of being a shadow of its former self.

I cant understand the stance being taken on this - why not simply punish those involved like all other infractions before.

Also why start another BBV thread instead of putting the old one back - what does that achieve apart from annoying people even more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Its not an excuse at all LL. I was only talking to Ross and Conor about it on Thursday. The other admins dont know about the issue in fact. Anyway, I only mentioned it because its part of the reason that at 1am last night I didnt move the thread back.

I started a new thread and that will suffice for now. A new start all round was what I had in mind, but instead this is the outcome. :rolleyes:

DeV.
    Hi Dev,

Perhaps you could move the locked old thread back into the poker forum at some point, so that it is searchable and our post counts are restored? Is it possible to do this as a background process so as not to cause undue load on the database?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

seamus wrote: »
    Peak time for people to be online playing and discussing poker, I would have thought :)

Not on a Friday night it's not,one of the quietest times of the week for the poker forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ludo wrote: »
    What is BBV?

The bad beat Vent thread, the chat thread for the forum.
    Macspower wrote: »
    So with all due respect Dev, I ask that the old post be put back up and let us continue on as before with your strict warnings in place..

What if it can't be due to destabilising the database?

There have been threads before which got so big that they were closed and removed, Cloud had to do it before in the coocoo's nest and it may have to happen again.

Could everyone please get off their dramallama's for a moment.

A couple of points.

1. The thread was removed because it was being used to coordinate a bunch of messing on a different forum, ironically to attack another big-thread in another forum.

One or two posts out of 70,000 chatted about another thread, three maybe four people of the 25 regs and 40 lurkers logged on at that time misbehaved

2. It wont be starting up again. We may put it back but:
    wat ?
    3. Actually moving such a big thread is extremely bad for the site because the post table has no forum id so for every post in the thread a write to the database has to happen.
    I figured that could be an isue, so why then would anyone be silly enough to move the thread to the recycle bin when they could have just closed it and asked the mods to deal with the contentious posts and posters?
    Petulant much?

4. The BBV has had a new start which I hope will remind people that using it to have a go isnt on.

Yea now I feel like a bold school kid and I must remember to be on my best behaviour and not to hang around with the bad kids

5. The rest of this is storm in a teacup time.

Could have been if it was handled in anything approaching a sensible manner, but now we have lost our thread and two mods. Lloyd has resigned, we were prevented from even discussing the issues arising, come on man, wake up and smell the coffee
    DeV.

Killme00 wrote: »
    The entire poker forum has been held to account for actions of a few.

What this man said.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »

There have been threads before which got so big that they were closed,
    Cloud had to do it before in the coocoo's nest and it may have to happen again.
    OK in the context of where the trouble all started this is just hillarious.

So the people trying to bust up the count to a million thread were actually saving boards from collapse. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

I remember amp when he was mod complaining I reported too many posts (90% spam).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

I've resigned as mod of the poker forum.
    KevIRL wrote: »
    I'm resigning as Poker Mod also.
    5starpool wrote: »
    - Therefore I can't continue moderating.
    Ste05 wrote: »
    As much as it hurts, I'm resigning as a Poker mod too...

wp lads - thanks for the hard work you put in. The poker community was a great thing while it lasted and I would like to echo ElStuntmans points below.
    no point in being repetitive as anything worth saying about this fiasco has already being said but I'd just like to say thanks to 5starpool, Kev, Ste05 and Lloyd for their modding of the poker forum down the years and well done on standing up for your principles.

Could everyone please get off their dramallama's for a moment.

lol - now that you have got down from yours you are imploring others to do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I've resigned as mod of the poker forum.
    KevIRL wrote: »
    I'm resigning as Poker Mod also.
    5starpool wrote: »
    - Therefore I can't continue moderating.

I'd also like to Echo the sentiments and say cheers for the work guys. You are alright for Liverpool fans and a lol cricket fan.

Shame to see the poker forum go as it's the only thing that kept me visiting boards and on my 10 year anniversary and all, adios.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Gordon's decision to move the thread to the dustbin while being fully aware of how difficult it would be to move it back was reckless in the extreme. Shocking lack of judgment on the part of an SMod.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

imo the admin action reeks of either

(a) we never should have moved the thing from a tech standpoint, lets cover our mistake with faux righteousness and use the 'teaching you a lesson for your own good excuse' or

(b) they need taking down a peg or two, lets see who blinks first. Oh **** they're not blinking...

I don't post very often on the forum but have been reading almost daily since i joined boards. Just want to say thanks to all the poker mods

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭smurph

I would also like to thank
    5starpool,
    Kev,
    Ste05
    Lloyd
    for their modding of the poker forum, and put up with with drama queens, and egos over the last few years....

I would strongly urge the powers that be to re-think this whole matter, you are losing some seriously good mods and let's be honest, there ain't going to be a queue of volunteers for what is really a thankless job...

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

seamus wrote: »
    Your analogy is flawed. Imagine a pub with a whole pile of regulars. At one side of the pub, a number of regulars plan out the robbery of a local shop. The rest of the locals and the barmen see this going on but say nothing. When the shop gets robbed, the Gardai storm in, arrest everyone and shut down the pub, even though a number of regulars saw nor heard nothing. Sounds reasonable to me.

Seamus, can you not see it's YOUR analogy that is flawed?

With admin punishing the whole poker community for the idiotic actions of a small few, the equivalent in your analogy above is the Gardai arresting and convicting every past, present and future regular of the pub, including all those who weren't anywhere near the pub on the night the shop heist was planned and executed.

Thanks to LuckyLloyd, KevIRL, 5starpool and Ste05 for their excellent stewardship of the poker forum. Sound men. Men of principle.

I'd like to echo the sentiments of the other lads/ladies.

Thanks a million for all of your efforts 5starpool,Ste05,KevIRL,LuckyLloyd.

As smurf said, I can't imagine who would want to mod the poker forum now,I very much doubt there'll be any volunteers from among the regular posters,and that just leaves others who wouldn't 'get' it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Thaedydal wrote: »
    What if it can't be due to destabilising the database?

There have been threads before which got so big that they were closed and removed, Cloud had to do it before in the coocoo's nest and it may have to happen again.
    lol, in that case the "count to a million thread" is a ticking timebomb for boards.

I cant believe how much this has spiralled out of all control. some quick sensible modding could have occurred in TCN and BBV and that would have been it.

Gordon binning the thread was a massive over-reaction, a lock pending the action would have sufficed, an Smod should have known better.

right now, the poker forum is on the brink of collapse. the foremost site for information on poker around the country, the bible for any poker player. I know the BBV is one thread. but the mods don't want to work without it, the reg users wont post any more, and the promoters will follow, the place will be a ghost-town in two weeks, and Boards.ie will lose huge revenue thanks to a massive portion of click-throughs disappearing. All thanks to something that could have been sorted in 2/3 minutes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement