Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Boards Discussion thread... (BBV thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Boston wrote: »
    Here's my counter proposal.

1. How about you cop on and moderate in accordance to how the rest of the site is moderated or go elsewhere?

tylerdurden94: I don't know when that was but the database was redesigned recently enough and also the thread would have been much smaller.

You are out of order here, admins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

brianmc wrote: »
    :confused:
    My point being that one bad incident in a place where there is usually harmony can tarnish it. I'm not comparing what happened here to a somebody being killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

All this talk of it cant be moved, database etc etc reminds me of the time the BBV got moved by mistake into another section on the poker forum and it got moved back no problems!

So why not this time is my question?

It's very big and causes a problem for the database. To do so now at one of our peak times in the day, would bring the site down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

1. How about you cop on and moderate in accordance to how the rest of the site is moderated or go elsewhere?

tylerdurden94: I don't know when that was but the database was redesigned recently enough and also the thread would have been much smaller.

Can anyone fill me in on who is this guy from moderator land? I'm not trying to insult anyone here but he is sounding like some kind of super secret admin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Is this whole thing not like saying, well Man United and Liverpool threads in soccer are usually full of trolls so we'll ban the discussion of either team on the soccer forum, simple.

Except it's not a great analogy, because they usually ARE full of trolls with a far higher troll/decent post ratio, not the few posts/60,000 ratio that the BBV had

• Advertisement

Dav wrote: »
    It's very big and causes a problem for the database. To do so now at one of our peak times in the day, would bring the site down.

This is a total red herring, I don't think anyone would care about waiting 14 hours for it to make its way back to the poker forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

No need to do it now, all people want is some kind of confirmation that it will or at least can be moved back.

We are being sensible here with our side of this debate, there is no valid reason to not move it back if it is possible to do so.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Killme00 wrote: »
    To what crap are you reffering?
    Crap like this perhaps.
    If KevIrl had nipped this in the bud when it started the BBV thread would still be going strong and heading for 70,000 posts. Instead he actively encouraged the trolling and offensive posting which rightly or wrongly led to the removal of the BBV thread.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

Onkle wrote: »
    The fresh start will be good imo. Means all the crap attached to the old one is gone.

On this note please stop posting...

will some level headed mod please have a word here... this is not helping...

seamus wrote: »
    Comments "threatening" the admins about how much damage alienating the poker forum can do, don't help solve the issue and don't add to the discussion at hand, at all.

Seriously Seamus, please think before posting stuff like "threats". Nobody is threatening anyone. You cannot make a post saying "I wasn't trying to stoke up any us v them mentality" and then claim some posters were making threats in the same post.

Some people said the poker forum community could conceivably leave boards en masse if this issue was not resolved amicably. That is not a threat, it is a perception of a possibility. It would not be good for boards if all the posters in AH left, or BGRH, or the Ladies Lounge, or TCN or any other forum. However since we can only speak for the poker forum we can only refer to that. Any part of boards choosing to leave would be detrimental to the site as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

RoundTower wrote: »
    This is a total red herring, I don't think anyone would care about waiting 14 hours for it to make its way back to the poker forum.

The rest of the site would.

Hermy wrote: »
    Crap like this perhaps.
    If KevIrl had nipped this in the bud when it started the BBV thread would still be going strong and heading for 70,000 posts. Instead he actively encouraged the trolling and offensive posting which rightly or wrongly led to the removal of the BBV thread.

So you go and pick out the one incident in question, what about the 65k posts which did no harm or the 99% of the posters in that thread who were not involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,351 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No dice. But thanks for playing.

Des wrote: »

What do you mean by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

thanks Dav for the technical side.. While I understand the technical obstructions I would have no problem with anyone saying it has to be done at x time or it will take x time to complete.

as it stands we are being told it wont be done and this is a punishment..

this is the issue at hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I was about to post the same but you(we) took it up wrong. Its not that the user is suggesting taking the site down for 14 hours, but suggesting that it is done during a quiet period(i.e at night or in 14 hours time). Perhaps just before or after the backup which normally takes things down anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mdwexford wrote: »
    What do you mean by this?

I mean the rest of the posters on the site WOULD care if the site was brought down by the moving of the thread.

If, in fact, that would be the consequences.

Did the site crash when the thread was moved from Poker to the RB?

If it didn't, how would a reverse move cause a crash.

I'm no IT Expert though, so what the hell do I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Thats really cool that you found a home here.
    No, home is where I live, BBV is a place I converse with people from outside home :confused:
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    It's not destroyed it's just not currently in the poker forum and no one can post in it.

Errrm, yes all that and the mods have resigned, I'd consider that the potential to destroy it is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Can anyone fill me in on who is this guy from moderator land? I'm not trying to insult anyone here but he is sounding like some kind of super secret admin.

0_o I don't get what you're inferring. If the starpool didn't want comments on his soap boxing, he wouldn't have posted it.
    Slash/ED wrote: »
    Is this whole thing not like saying, well Man United and Liverpool threads in soccer are usually full of trolls so we'll ban the discussion of either team on the soccer forum, simple.

Except it's not a great analogy, because they usually ARE full of trolls with a far higher troll/decent post ratio, not the few posts/60,000 ratio that the BBV had

They keep it to there own forum at least.

I mean the rest of the posters on the site WOULD care if the site was brought down by the moving of the thread.

It didn't. And I'm also no expert, but I'd be very shocked if moving a thread one way would pose more problems than another.

• Advertisement

I see, i was taking you up wrong.

Obviously nobody wants that, no it did not btw.

They keep it to there own forum at least.

So the official line from the mods is trolling is okay if it's kept to your designated forum?

It sounds like the answer is "no, but only because it was done at an off-peak time"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Gholimoli

Contender forwinner of the worst comparison ever.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Would it not be an idea for everyone to just wait for the admins to make a final decision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I can assure you it's no red herring. I didn't say we weren't gonna make it happen, but we need to be careful about how and when we do this - *IF* we do this, it hasn't been decided. Either way, the old thread is locked and will stay locked forever.

[edit]
    You have the logic of the thing there a couple of posts above this RT - it was moved at an off peak time and so the site tembled a bit, but didn't fall.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

As somebody who maintains large databases I'm a bit confused about this bringing the site down issue. If it's true fair enough but updating a series of posts to change whatever field links to recycle bin to point to the poker forum. I could run this query on 100000 rows in a table right now without any down time to anyone else. Again I don't know the specifics here but so far I've only seen "I think it is a problem" type posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    No dice. But thanks for playing.

Didn't you storm off in a huff?

It wasn't moved on peak.

I can assure you it's no red herring. I didn't say we weren't gonna make it happen, but we need to be careful about how and when we do this - *IF* we do this, it hasn't been decided. Either way, the old thread is locked and will stay locked forever.

What, the old thread will be locked forever??

Why??

If its staying locked you guys can stick it imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

mdwexford wrote: »
    So you go and pick out the one incident in question, what about the 65k posts which did no harm or the 99% of the posters in that thread who were not involved.
    There were several incidents in question.
    I believe I counted fourteen individual posters at the time.
    What I am highlighting is the attitude of the moderator to these incidents.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement