Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***They're Back***

• 15-06-2009 9:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

It was all the rage back in the early 90s, and now as we're back into a recession it seems to be all the rage again.

Im of course talking about those "enterprising" people....the windscreen washers:cool:

you know the guys waiting at the wings at traffic lights ready to pounce and make your windscreen even more dirty than it all ready is:rolleyes:

is there a law against this?? its basically begging isn't it??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If a doorman holds open a door for you then it is his job.

If somebody holds the door open for you in a shop then its polite.

If somebody in a valeters washs's your car then it is their job.

If somebody washs's your window on the street then it is polite.

Just be thankful they are offering this service to thank us for allowing them to live in this country and not shipping them home.

Do not tip them either. It will only encourage them. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Just turn on the window wipers on the fastest level. ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Just turn on the window wipers on the fastest level. ;)

Saw a guy do this before to a young girl who was washing windscreens and he nearly took the fingers off her.. thought it was a bit cruel to be honest. A simple no thank you normally works fine for me..

Tox

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Saw a guy do this before to a young girl who was washing windscreens and he nearly took the fingers off her.. thought it was a bit cruel to be honest. A simple no thank you normally works fine for me..

Tox

They are very bad in London, saying no thank you is a waste of time. On with the wipers or another trick is if you see them up ahead and the lights are red slow down and just move along very slowly toward the car in front that way if they come to your car they cannot do anything as you are moving and the wheel would go over their foot if they tried.

Its very annoying and their is more dirt on the window after they do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Guys don't let this turn into a rant about beggers/foreigners stealin ur jobz etc.

I myself don't like the window washers. I had just had my car waxed and polished (living in an apartment with only on main st. parking made it impossible to do it myself) and this fecker dumps a big dirty mouldy cloth full of canal water onto my shining windscreen. I really wanted to hurt him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

I just turn on my headlights and wait for them to get close to my car and then I spray my windscreen which also activates the headlight washers. So large spray of washer fluid engulfs the front of my car. I don't get many takers.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Blast of the horn and a f**k off does the trick when they're throwing themselves over my bonnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Wouldn't it be great if you had a joystick that could control where your winscreen washer pointed?
    Is there anyone who is actually wants these guys to wash their screens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I've tried no, no thanks, shaking my head and saying no, putting my hand up shaking my head and saying no, and still I get whatever gloop is inside in the bottom of the Dr Pepper bottle dribbled onto my screen, and a filthy squeegee dragged half heartedly across it. Worse again, is that the stuff they have in their bottles is usually washing up liquid and water - which will eat the wax on my paintwork which usually takes me an hour to do properly. And then because they're leaning against the car, no doubt the rivets on their jeans will leave a nice few scratches in the lacquer too.

So I'm sorry, fingers or no, if someone tries putting that diarrhoea on my cars, they'll get the wipers, windscreen washers and headlamp washers too. Cruel, but unfortunately very necessary if they don't accept you saying no in the first place. If I say no, and they accept that, then there's no conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Quint wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great if you had a joystick that could control where your winscreen washer pointed?

Or something like the Pedestrian Electro-Bastard Death Ray from Carmageddon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

its great when you have the land rover, the little y joint that holds directs the water back onto the windscreen fell off and i've no idea where it is. its grand when your driving as the wind will blow the water back onto the winscreen but when your stopped it shoots out about 6 feet in front of the bonnet.

I once got a buissness fellow right in the ear when stopped at the lights when i inadvertantly tried to cleen the windscreen. He didnt know what hit him, and i went laughing down the road. :D

I'm just waiting for one of those window washer dudes to try me :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

The best one I ever seen was after the fella cleaned the window, he went to the driver with a cup and the driver poured coffee into his cup and drove off! Truely brilliant!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

pesky feckers were at it today, some guy approached me i wagged my finger but he ignored me, so i pulled down the window and told him in no uncertain terms to P*ss Off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Tox

Gotta get the wipers on before they achieve a touch down on the windscreen. If you wait until they are in hearing range of a 'NNNOOOOOOO !!!!' its usually too late, whatever about fingers at that stage a squeegy tangled up in the wipers may not do your pride and joy too much good.

These folks dont know the meaning of No (any I've come across anyway). The only way to fend them off is windows up and wipers and washers on as they approach. And it's not a time for your washer bottle to run out... otherwise you're fair game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

once on Capel St they came to do my window. I was on the way back home from the North and only had Sterling. I gave the lad £1 and he wasn't happy. Started shouting "No! This is for London. Not here!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I remember sitting in traffic, and there was a girl sitting in a car in front of me. The lad came over to wash her window, to which she said no, and shook her head etc. He then proceeded to "clean" her window, and then start knocking on her window. I had to roll down my window and politely* tell him to move along. No fear he kept walking past my car.

*May no have been very polite.

Advertisement