Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rooster/Cockerel in neighbours garden!!

Options
  • 15-06-2009 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Hi Mods, please move is this is the wrong place for this.

My neigbour two doors down have bought a Rooster/Cockerel and since Saturday morning I have been woken every morning at 5.30am with this bloody thing roaring its head off.

I live in a housing estate so there are houses all around. My question is, is it illegal to have a Rooster in your garden in a built up urban area or are they within their rights to keep it.

The noise off it in the morning is horrible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 paulhickey1

Get used to it. There's nothing you can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

you should probably tell your neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi

Not sure if this any help to you, but I heard on radio show that rooster's/cockeral's crow at daybreak.
    The solution to this, is to keep the rooster in the hen house, in the dark until a 'reasonable' hour and let him out.

Maybe you could suggest this to your neighbours?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I don't know what they need a rooster for, as chickens will lay whether there's a rooster around or not. They're hardly going to breed chickens in the back garden of what i'm guessing is a regular sized house in an estate!

Maybe they don't realise they're eating fertilized eggs :-O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

This is bloody ridiculous. For God's sake - it's a housing estate; not a farm. What planet are these people on?:mad: Have they NO consideration for neighbours?

People are entitled to quiet. Housing estates are built for people - not animals. Especially farmyard animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

roosters are useful if you're keeping hens because actually, many hens will not lay if there isn't a rooster around, and furthermore, roosters are actually quite protective of the hens should a predator start bothering them.

Chickens don't take up much space so it is possible they're trying to keep some in the backyard.

I'm afraid I have no idea whether it's legal or not, but your city/county council would be a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Xiney wrote: »
    roosters are useful if you're keeping hens because actually, many hens will not lay if there isn't a rooster around,

Not true. Hens will lay eggs whether there's a rooster around or not. They lay according to daylight patterns, not because they're attracted to a nearby rooster...

Xiney wrote: »
    and furthermore, roosters are actually quite protective of the hens should a predator start bothering them.

What, like foxes? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cats? Rats?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

eth0_ wrote: »
    I don't know what they need a rooster for, as chickens will lay whether there's a rooster around or not. They're hardly going to breed chickens in the back garden of what i'm guessing is a regular sized house in an estate!

Maybe they don't realise they're eating fertilized eggs :-O

When I got home from work I worked out why they wanted them!!

They had wrung their necks and were plucking them when I got home. I had my neighbour in freaked out of her head as she saw the carnage (she's directly next door).

No more noise is a result. I did ring the Gardai yesterday (who had a great laugh at me!!)and they said it was legal to have them unless they were making too much noise.

If they were making too much noise you can do them under section 108 of the Environmental protection agency act.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭drumaneen

murphym7 wrote: »
    When I got home from work I worked out why they wanted them!!

They had wrung their necks and were plucking them when I got home. I had my neighbour in freaked out of her head as she saw the carnage (she's directly next door).

No more noise is a result. .

You Lucky Lucky blighter .... my neighbour added 3 Cocks to her brood and its hell to a light sleeper like me. I'd happily wring their necks. Been to the Dr for sleeping prescription (45 quid!) + pills 12 quid/fortnight. I live in a rural area so little sympathy for me ... event though I was here first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

So is it legal or not to have one, they are NOISY BASTARDS... and apparently useless as the chickens will lay without one around... so what would be the point...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Zombie Chickens :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Oh no!!!!!!
    We've got people nearby with a rooster...thankfully out of earshot...but my God they are bloody noisy animals!
    Having said that.....that's some ending to your story!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Freddie59 wrote: »
    This is bloody ridiculous. For God's sake - it's a housing estate; not a farm. What planet are these people on?:mad: Have they NO consideration for neighbours?

People are entitled to quiet. Housing estates are built for people - not animals. Especially farmyard animals.
    Get a grip on yourself. If someone is doing something to elevate the grey life of a dormer town commuter drone by doing a bit of organic farming in the pathetic strip of land they can lay claim to, then I say fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Nevore wrote: »
    Get a grip on yourself. If someone is doing something to elevate the grey life of a dormer town commuter drone by doing a bit of organic farming in the pathetic strip of land they can lay claim to, then I say fair play to them.

If they want to do a bit of organic farming, then they should live on a farm or somewhere where their decisions don't negatively affect the lives of their neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Freddie59 wrote: »

Give me the cock crowing anyday over all those bleedin burgler alarms that go off in every damm estate in Dublin and elsewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

This reminds me of the story of Charlamagne(Not the king of the Franks but rather a cockeral) from the book A year in Province.

A rich Parisian bought a small cottage in Province. Delighted with his purchase, he and a few friends spent a weekend there to try out the new pad. However they were woken very early by Charlamagne, the cockeral from a neighbouring farm. They asked the farmer to get rid of the cockeral, he refused, they offered to buy it, he refused. Eventually after months of pleading, the parisian had to sell the cottage, and because of the fuss he had made about the noise, how it was unbearable etc, he got less than what he paid for it. A friend of the farmer bought the cottage, and to celebrate the incredible bargain he had gotten, they had a marvelous feast of Coq au Vin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

syklops is right - you should have eaten the cockerel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

John_Mc wrote: »
    If they want to do a bit of organic farming, then they should live on a farm or somewhere where their decisions don't negatively affect the lives of their neighbours.
    My neighbours have kids that negatively affect my life. Little b!"£$%^& up at 8am on a Sunday.
    Now I know what you're going to say, that having kids is normal and to be expected.
    But that's actually my point. If it was normal and expected that most, if not everyone, in the country maintained a small veggie plot, got their hands dirty every now and then and yes, reared a couple of chickens or something, I think psychologically, we'd be a much healthier nation.
    And no, washing the mud off your "organic" Tesco pototoes doesn't count as getting your hands dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Nevore wrote: »
    But that's actually my point. If it was normal and expected that most, if not everyone, in the country maintained a small veggie plot, got their hands dirty every now and then and yes, reared a couple of chickens or something, I think psychologically, we'd be a much healthier nation.
    And no, washing the mud off your "organic" Tesco pototoes doesn't count as getting your hands dirty.

It should be normal and expected that people have certain freedoms and responsibilities. I personally do not want to raise chickens or have a small veggie plot because a) I haven't got time and b) I have other priorities in my life. I mean I could also say that the nation would be healthier if a) everyone was only allowed to work 6 hours a day and b) had to swim 1000m every day.

But some people don't like it and I understand that. I'm not going to go around and suggest it should be normal for everyone to do what I think is healthy because it may not be healthy for them.

Keeping farm animals in what passes for a garden in many parts of Dublin - chickens and cockerels included - strikes me as kind of selfish and unfair. I really do think that if people want to go off and live the Good Life, houses out the country are probably cheaper and have better land options to do it.

Sometimes you have to make a call on priorities. If the job in the city is more important than the cockerel, then do without the cockerel. Everyone has to make calls like that from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

OP do you live in Knoclyon? I know someone that has a few chickens and a rooster :)

Advertisement