Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton T90si Problem

Options
  • 15-06-2009 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Our Triton T90si (about 8 years old) went halfway through a shower last night. Instead of making the healthy pumping noise, it now just makes a very gentle humm and cold water trickles out.

Triton say there is a 70 euro callout charge and if it needs a motor, the new motor is 80 euro.

The replacement Triton (the T90xr) seems to be 250 euro most places and I have a quote to fit and replace our old one for 80-100 euro.

Can anyone help me with the best option here? Obviously we wouldn't know exactly what was wrong with it until Triton came out and had a look at it anyway so it might end up costing alot more to repair? How long do these things last after repair? The Customer Service at Triton seemed to suggest they never last much beyond 8 years anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

We have a Mira, and the pump went i it, after a couple of years, we got the pump replaced (cannot remember hot much), and it has been going as good as new, for about as long as the old pump lasted.

You might be able to have it seen by an independent installer, who may not have a callout charge, Golden pages is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

johnfás wrote: »
    Our Triton T90si (about 8 years old) went halfway through a shower last night. Instead of making the healthy pumping noise, it now just makes a very gentle humm and cold water trickles out.

Triton say there is a 70 euro callout charge and if it needs a motor, the new motor is 80 euro.

The replacement Triton (the T90xr) seems to be 250 euro most places and I have a quote to fit and replace our old one for 80-100 euro.

Can anyone help me with the best option here? Obviously we wouldn't know exactly what was wrong with it until Triton came out and had a look at it anyway so it might end up costing alot more to repair? How long do these things last after repair? The Customer Service at Triton seemed to suggest they never last much beyond 8 years anyway.

It might not be the motor. If the inlet filter is blocked or the solenoid valve is stuck partly shut then very little water will flow through the pump and the motor will just spin it quietly -- pumps only make noise when they are running under full load. Take a look at http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/shower-spares/triton/triton-t90si-pumped.html for a drawing of the shower components. But make sure you turn off the power at the mains and the water supply to the shower off before you open the casing;)

Often a stuck solenoid can be freed with a few gentle taps on its top.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Replace the shower..... Granted it will cost you 350-400 for the new one. Repairs will cost you 150-200 its just not worth it on an 8 year shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Showerdoc was mentioned earlier, but Showerdoc.co.uk also has parts diagrams, and a forum for help, which I found useful earlier this year. They're quick, knowledgeable and they stock all the parts (as do earthridge in Maynooth)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Anyone know if the Triton T90xr fits the same space left by a dead Triton T90i? After a decade of use with the power light still on and water still flowing, it went silent this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

hmm it does fit but exactly perfectly though ........ from the 90i anyway but wouldnt be to much of a problem to swap them out

OP if you have and DIY experience its a fairly easy job to swap a shower round save urself the costs ........ ild goive you a step by step guide on what to do if u like pm me .

and imo after 8 years ur wasting ur time trowing any money at an electrical shower they have a very shot life expectency to be honest , due to the small heater and small pump opperating at high levels of use ................. previous poster is correct though about airlock , filers etc. but again u can or maybe a competent mate could easly determine what the problem is ...................

have you in the past while 1. turned of the mains water . 2. left a tap running for a long period . 3. water disconnected by council for repairs etc. 4. experienced a discolouriation in the water ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

IIMII wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Triton T90xr fits the same space left by a dead Triton T90i? ....
    It fits the same space, you'll need to drill new holes in the wall though, as the T90xr has its fixing screw holes in different positions to the old T90si.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

IIMII wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Triton T90xr fits the same space left by a dead Triton T90i? After a decade of use with the power light still on and water still flowing, it went silent this morning.

It fits the same space as said there is just a slight difference in the handset its a bow type bar but look at it this way the XR is the new model and prob all you will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭skinthegoat

I had a similar problem last year and it came down to just the brushes in the motor. Maynooth Shower Maintenance posted them to me, cost about €12 as far as I recall. I also cleaned the commutator gently with a bit of crocus paper. First, though, confirm that your problem is indeed that the pump motor is failing to start. Don't forget to remove power before you start.

Advertisement