Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Men and Cancer

• 15-06-2009 9:55am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There is a very good article on the BBC quoting research done by the Cancer Research UK- which states that Men are 60% more likely than women to develop cancer, and 70% more likely than women to die from it......... You certainly never see any of those statistics being bandied around by the Marie Keating foundation!!!!

Link here

Men warned of greater cancer risk

The reluctance of men to adopt a healthy lifestyle and visit the doctor may be fuelling a gender gap in cancer cases and deaths, experts say.

Among cancers which affect both sexes, men are 60% more likely to develop the disease and 70% more likely to die from it, Cancer Research UK said.

There is no known biological reason for this but it may be because women take better care of themselves, they said.

Experts said men needed to be made aware of the risks they faced.

It is thought half of all cancers can be prevented through lifestyle changes.

For the latest report, published to coincide with Men's Health Week, researchers first analysed data on all cancers from 2006 and 2007.

They found that overall men are 40% more likely than women to die from cancer and 16% more likely to develop the disease in the first place.

But excluding breast cancer and other cancers that are gender specific, as well as lung cancer which is more likely to affect men because more men smoke, the difference between the sexes was far greater.

The researchers had expected to see that men and women are just as likely as each other to develop and die from the disease.

However, the figures showed that men are significantly more likely than women to be diagnosed with and die from every one of the specific types of cancer considered, apart from melanoma.

Professor David Forman, information lead for the National Cancer Intelligence Network, which helped carry out the research, said: "For many of the types of cancer we looked at that affect both sexes, there's no known biological reason why men should be at a greater risk than women, so we were surprised to see such consistent differences."

He added: "Men have a reputation for having a 'stiff upper lip' and not being as health conscious as women.

"What we see from this report could be a reflection of this attitude, meaning men are less likely to make lifestyle changes that could reduce their risk of the disease and less likely to go to their doctor with cancer symptoms."

Professor Alan White, chairman of the Men's Health Forum, said men were generally less aware that factors such as smoking, carrying excess weight around the waist, having a high alcohol intake, a poor diet and family history all contributed to an increased cancer risk.

However, he said more research was needed on the causes of the gender gap and services needed to do more to reach out to men.

Professor White told the BBC: "Men have got a certain degree of responsibility to look to their lifestyle, but the services also have to be reaching out to men.

"If you think that nearly 14m men work full-time and of those 28% are working over 45 hours, then getting to the services is actually very problematic.

"And it's not just the GP, it's smoking cessation services, it's weight loss services.

'Get it checked'

"We have to look very much more at how we change the services so they are more male appropriate.

"I think if you are suffering from something and it's not going away, then get it checked out. That's the simple message."

The government's cancer tsar, Professor Mike Richards, said there was no doubt of the gravity of the findings.

Prof Richards told the BBC: "I agree with Professor White that the scale of this has come as a surprise even to researchers.

"There seems to be no doubt - there is a higher risk of getting cancer and a higher risk of death.

"That maybe due to different ways of approaching the health services and being less likely to seek help.

"We certainly need to make men of these risks, of the lifestyle factors."

Sara Hiom, director of health information at Cancer Research UK, said: "We know that around half of all cancers could be prevented by changes to lifestyle and it's worrying that this message could be falling on deaf ears for men.

"Delays in reporting symptoms to a doctor could be helping to fuel this gender gap in cancer mortality."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Its totally spot on though as men, in general, seem to be too afraid of visiting the G.P. just on the off chance they get some bad news...i myself havent had a full checkup in many years even though i rarely even get a cold i should do it again sometime soon, along with bloodwork.

Lets hope alot of those men with unhealthy lifestyles seen the BBC news that day or read this report...

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Its totally spot on though as men, in general, seem to be too afraid of visiting the G.P. just on the off chance they get some bad news...i myself havent had a full checkup in many years even though i rarely even get a cold i should do it again sometime soon, along with bloodwork.

Lets hope alot of those men with unhealthy lifestyles seen the BBC news that day or read this report...
    You know you are dead right! Men really do have a genuine fear of G.P's/hospitals which is sometimes mixed up with pride and being a macho man. I work in a hospital and I deal with alot of men who say cancel their appointments and then their OH's ringing up pleading for an appointment and promising they will attend. Whereas most, not all, woman will be more then willing to go for screening tests to outrule cancer. It is a shame though, because I saw it with my own dad who was too proud and too much of a man to admit he was in pain and go visit a G.P and when he did unfortunately it was far too late for him so for that I would definitely encourage men to go to their GP every few years just to have a little check and maybe some bloods done. Alot of illnesses, serious and not, can be picked up through an FBC (full blood count)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its seen as politically correct to have posters everywhere and invitations to certain age groups of women to attend free clinics for breast checks- which while it is predominantly a female issue- there are no similar schemes out there to try to encourage men to get themselves checked out. Its almost as though one gender are seen as either the weaker sex- as portrayed by classical literature- or genuinely significantly at greater risk than men- which unfortunately the statistics simply don't agree with.

Why are such resources invested in the likes of the breast check clinics- but absolutely nothing in mens health? I asked this of a doc recently- and her response was simply "Some illnesses are considered to be 'trendy' and people and companies get positive reactions from being associated with them". Breast cancer is trendy. Colon cancer is not....... :(

smccarrick wrote: »
    Why are such resources invested in the likes of the breast check clinics- but absolutely nothing in mens health? I asked this of a doc recently- and her response was simply "Some illnesses are considered to be 'trendy' and people and companies get positive reactions from being associated with them". Breast cancer is trendy. Colon cancer is not....... :(
    Where I am based, Colo-rectal surgery is a speciality. I see a huge amount of patients with colon CA. When we had breast surgery as a speciality we had a huge number of CA patients and a few were also men. But I agree, colon cancer is a huge issue in both male and female yet there is not enough recognition for that. A simple mammogram detects cancer of the breas. A simple colonoscopy detects cancer of the colon. but it baffles me why there is not equal acknowledgement for ALL area's to be checked ie breast, colon, oesophageal, prostate.

ChewChew wrote: »
    Where I am based, Colo-rectal surgery is a speciality. I see a huge amount of patients with colon CA. When we had breast surgery as a speciality we had a huge number of CA patients and a few were also men. But I agree, colon cancer is a huge issue in both male and female yet there is not enough recognition for that. A simple mammogram detects cancer of the breas. A simple colonoscopy detects cancer of the colon. but it baffles me why there is not equal acknowledgement for ALL area's to be checked ie breast, colon, oesophageal, prostate.

We were discussing this over on LTI- even those who have had multiple resections of the colon and the GI tract (UC and Crohn's sufferers)- aren't routinely scheduled periodic colonoscopies.......? Its really insane.

• Advertisement

We were discussing this over on LTI- even those who have had multiple resections of the colon and the GI tract (UC and Crohn's sufferers)- aren't routinely scheduled periodic colonoscopies.......? Its really insane.
    Ah yes. tell me about it! Anterior resection of the colon and oesophagectomies are HUGE surgerys. They take anything up to 10 hours for a consultant surgeon to perform and then the recovery time is sooooo long that is really is astonishing how many people are left unsurveillanced. I am currently working on a project in work where I will be dealing with patients for surveillance colonoscopies and ogd's. Why only now? because the hse wouldn't give the extra staff to do it! disgraceful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Personally I feel that the breast cancer awareness movement outshaddows all the other cancers put together - am a woman who is a 28 month oesophageal cancer survivor and had the indignity of seeing breast cancer awarenss month while waiting outside a shop for my husband and being harassed being asked for money for same while going through my own personal hell from my recent diagnosis, my husband had the same experience.

I have always felt that this forum is a brilliant idea but just wish that men would be more active looking after their health (while they so fearlessly look after their loved ones (smccarrick - am looking at you there))...why a man does not just feel his "bits" to make sure that they are OK is beyond me. And as to why colonoscopies are not more common is beyond me - one of my best male friends died of colon cancer aged only 40, he had symptoms for a long time but only went when things were advanced (RIP my friend)...most people do not even know what the symptoms are of colon cancer...sorry, mini-rant over.

In the interim maybe us women folk can keep an eye on our wonderful men?

Ah yes. tell me about it! Anterior resection of the colon and oesophagectomies are HUGE surgerys. They take anything up to 10 hours for a consultant surgeon to perform and then the recovery time is sooooo long that is really is astonishing how many people are left unsurveillanced. I am currently working on a project in work where I will be dealing with patients for surveillance colonoscopies and ogd's. Why only now? because the hse wouldn't give the extra staff to do it! disgraceful!
    Sorry, a bit confused here - what did you mean about being unsurveillanced and what is an ogd? (Sorry, me confused).

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Sorry, a bit confused here - what did you mean about being unsurveillanced and what is an ogd? (Sorry, me confused).
    no no, my bad. An OGD is a gastroscopy (camera test into the stomach) and all patients who have had major surgery like a resection or oesophagectomy should receive regular surveillance endoscopies. Hope that clears my comment up, sorry! :o

no no, my bad. An OGD is a gastroscopy (camera test into the stomach) and all patients who have had major surgery like a resection or oesophagectomy should receive regular surveillance endoscopies. Hope that clears my comment up, sorry! :o
    I must also explain that I am only going by the information and the procedure regarding these surgeries that I am familiar with with the consultants I deal with :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

If I had some terminal illness like cancer I think I'd rather never know. I'd prefer that the disease just kill me off rather than actually going about KNOWING I have it and knowing I'm going to die.

OneArt wrote: »
    If I had some terminal illness like cancer I think I'd rather never know. I'd prefer that the disease just kill me off rather than actually going about KNOWING I have it and knowing I'm going to die.
    While I genuinely understand where you are coming from you have to realise that a lot of people who get cancer survive it, for the most part it just needs to be caught early enough...being body aware and going for screening tests really does help...and the thing is, if you have cancer sometimes you do know or at least suspect before hand and that is far worse.

When I grew up I heard stories of one of my favorite uncles having survived anal cancer in his late 30's - he is still with us today. Yes, chemo or the other treatments are not nice but sacrificing that time so that you can have more time is worth it.

being body aware and going for screening tests really does help.

The perception (more often than not, accurate) is that the vast majority of the screening programmes are targetted at the opposite sex. You have breast check clinic adverts in your face left right and centre- have you ever seen a poster advising men of the dangers of testicular cancer or prostate cancer, signs to look out for, and details of their local testing centres? I certainly haven't.
    if you have cancer sometimes you do know or at least suspect before hand and that is far worse

Women are far more likely than men to suspect something is askew- and to seek attention at an early stage. They are also far more likely to have dedicated clinics and teams ready at reasonable notice to do checkups etc. I'm not saying those teams are infallible- far from it, but simply- there is a wholly different approach taken to the healthcare expected and the healthcare delivered to the different sexes.

Men are far more likely to present with acute symptoms, when something that could have been easily dealt with early on is now a critical condition. This is a large part why there were 78% more deaths from cancer in Ireland in 2007 in men (all cancers) than women. This is even higher than the appalling UK statistics.

This is a very common way men have of dealing with many of life's unpleasant twists and turns. Ignorance of the fact, and dealing with the outcome only when we have to- may be an easier way of living on a day to day basis- but unfortunately to live your life to as full a conclusion as possible- there is planning involved. There are very few illnesses that are actually terminal in the early stages- and of those that are terminal- more often than not, there are treatments available that enable those inflicted with terminal conditions to live long periods painfree and capable of doing almost all the things that a non-sufferer might be able to know. The key to this- is early diagnosis- which is also the blackhole that most men seem to be falling into.......

We're all going to die sooner or later- there is no reason we need to suffer unduly as we meander through whatever it is that life decides to throw at us......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I thought I had cancer recently, was really worrying about it and kept putting off going to the doctor. Went last week and she thinks it's just heartburn and pain being referred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Its seen as politically correct to have posters everywhere and invitations to certain age groups of women to attend free clinics for breast checks- which while it is predominantly a female issue- there are no similar schemes out there to try to encourage men to get themselves checked out. Its almost as though one gender are seen as either the weaker sex- as portrayed by classical literature- or genuinely significantly at greater risk than men- which unfortunately the statistics simply don't agree with.

while there have been moves lately to popularise men's cancers (testicular and prostate), thinking of some of the adverts I've seen in pub toilets and the radio adverts with Johnny Giles and Co., I think your pretty much right here, in that a lot of women's cancers are trendy to support. People wearing their pink ribbons in prominant places etc. Now I'm not putting these terrible illnesses down, I've looked after enough people with them, and seen the effects first hand not to do that. What I'd love to see is a concerted effort by ANYONE involved to raise awareness for men and matteres relating to their health
    Personally I feel that the breast cancer awareness movement outshaddows all the other cancers put together - am a woman who is a 28 month oesophageal cancer survivor and had the indignity of seeing breast cancer awarenss month while waiting outside a shop for my husband and being harassed being asked for money for same while going through my own personal hell from my recent diagnosis, my husband had the same experience.

I have always felt that this forum is a brilliant idea but just wish that men would be more active looking after their health (while they so fearlessly look after their loved ones (smccarrick - am looking at you there))...why a man does not just feel his "bits" to make sure that they are OK is beyond me. And as to why colonoscopies are not more common is beyond me - one of my best male friends died of colon cancer aged only 40, he had symptoms for a long time but only went when things were advanced (RIP my friend)...most people do not even know what the symptoms are of colon cancer...sorry, mini-rant over.

In the interim maybe us women folk can keep an eye on our wonderful men?

Following on from my above point, as one of the biggest discussion based websites in the world, I actually think boards.ie has a certain responsibility to help raise men's awareness. I'd share your views Cathy, that this forum could be part of that. Changes are afoot to hopefully make it more accessible and popular. Changes that will hopefully benefit the readers. Imagine, if just one bloke came on here in 12 months time and said, thanks for the info, that because of this forum he went to the GP because a lump, got checked and got fixed. How cool would that be? and that's just one bloke.

As for your interim solution, well althoigh Mrs MM keeps a good check on things, I'm open to suggestions for additional support. Gotta set an example for others to follow right..... ;):D

Dude, this attitude is so prevalent. What others are saying about cancers not being terminal, is so true. You don't just wake up with terminal cancer of the prostate,testicle etc. It's a relatively slow process with warning signs posted along the way.

Believe me, these diseases do not take you peacefully in your sleep. Death from cancer can be a long drawn out and painful experience. Heart breaking for families. It can have a huge emotional impact on even the professionals giving care in the hospital/hospice. Sorry to anyone if that sounds scary, but thats the reality. Burying your head, and holding out is NOT an option. If anyone reading this is even slightly concerned, get your arse down to the GP pronto, get checked or refferred. If your not happy, get a second opinion. Most typical "man" cancers are totally treatable in their early stages. You owe it to yourself to at least get checked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Couple of things:

1 Cancer doesn't have to be a terminal disease. Take it from me - I'm a survivor!

2 If you get it early enough - let me re-phrase that - before it spreads - the prognosis, in general can be very good. Bottom line: have a regular check-up at your G.P.

3 "....just kill me off...." Unfortunately Cancer doesn't work that way. You aren't going to be fine one day and the next Cancer suddenly kills you - no complications. Cancer kills (relatively) slowly. It spreads into other systems and can be excrutiatingly painful and debilitating.

4 With treatment one can live a normal/relatively normal life afterwards - The are literally many thousands of Cancer survivors walking around this country today, leading normal lives. Equally there are many, many more thousands of others in big trouble, perhaps because they ignored symptoms or just didn't have themselves check out often enough - and regretting, along with those who care for them, that they hadn't been able to "get it in time".

5 Even if it has spread, many forms of Cancer can be treated quite successfully, leading to a good quality of life.

In deciding what I wanted to do when diagnosed, I concluded emphatically; "I CHOOSE LIFE"

Some survivors make a point of showing, and inspiring, others that Cancer doesn't have to be a death sentence:
    C Team - Cancer Survivors
    Bernice Glavin

I'd rather that we didn't get any more C Team members, but crap happens. If you're a Cancer survivor and would like to get involved in future events with the C Team - Cancer Survivors, send me a PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

I think many men think that a "cancer" trip to the doctor = finger up the bum and a feel of the nads.

I have done uncountable number of rectal exams - numerous on younger men (for non-cancer reasons) and there is a real, deep fear of them - particularily from female doctors as much as there is a fear of speculum and pelvic exams from male doctors. Most doctors are now female. Does this add to it.

As soon as I sense any concern, I sit down - explain that this is totally voluntary, this procedure will either completely or partially outrule certain concerns for them. If they choose not to have it - outline the uncertainties which will arise from not having a rectal exam - outline the certainties which can be outruled and where to proceed from there.

I think communication is very important from doctors as to the significance of what we need to do as well as general wider advertising to the community as to getting themselves checked out.

(apologies for diverging the general topic)

Women as a rule take to rectal exams with less fuss than men do.

Advertisement