Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly rod recommendation

Options
  • 15-06-2009 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi all.

Was wondering if anyone could recommend a multipurpose fly rod rated for both large pike flying and trout fishing on lakes.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Im fly fishing the last few weeks and have come on in leaps and bounds. i have been using a Daiwa 11ft 3" Rod. Its line rating is a 7. I couldnt fault it at all. If you buy rod and reel on the internet from Daiwa themselves id say you's get the lot for unde €200. I fish large lakes myself and its perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 eddie12

Hi Niall,
    Sorry about this but...
    You wont get a fly rod that will suit fishing for both large pike and trout.

For large pike you would need a 9ft or 10ft rod rated for a 9wt line.
    The rod needs to be a hefty workhorse because of the size of the flies you are using. Also on a lighter rod you'll end up taking ages to play a large pike which can easily kill them. And that's only if she doesnt break your setup on the first run. You generally need a better reel for pike fishing as you end up playing them off the reel. They are expensive(if you have a limited budget).

For lake trout you'd need a 9.5ft to 11ft rod rated for a 6 or 7 line.

I've landed small 2lb to 4lb jack pike on a 10ft 7wt plenty of times when they took flies meant for trout but for anything bigger you need more muscle.
    Good luck

Advertisement