Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Made a mess of my shower... help?

Options
  • 15-06-2009 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I tried my best to install new shower at the weekend :rolleyes:

I have finally managed to get all of it installed into the wall etc... but the power/flow of the new shower is about half that of the previous shower. It just about gets the shampoo out of the hair :(

What I think may be the issue here is that I turned back on the values wrongly or somehing. It's a gravity fed system, cold tank in attick and hot press below. There's 4 valves in the hot press and i shut them all fully when putting it in. then opened them fully when it was in. Does anyone out there know if this would lead to less pressure in the shower or something? any suggestons would be great!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Bill-e wrote: »
    Hi,
    I tried my best to install new shower at the weekend :rolleyes:

I have finally managed to get all of it installed into the wall etc... but the power/flow of the new shower is about half that of the previous shower. It just about gets the shampoo out of the hair :(

What I think may be the issue here is that I turned back on the values wrongly or somehing. It's a gravity fed system, cold tank in attick and hot press below. There's 4 valves in the hot press and i shut them all fully when putting it in. then opened them fully when it was in. Does anyone out there know if this would lead to less pressure in the shower or something? any suggestons would be great!:eek:

The flow through the shower should depend only on the head pressure from the tank (ie how high up above the shower the tank is) if the pipe bore to the shower is unchanged. I would suspect that in shutting and opening the valves and disconnecting the pipes to fit the new unit, you introduced an airlock somewhere. Best way of dealing with that is the old trick of connecting a pipe between the cold tap and the hot tap in the kitchen. Stick a cork in the vent pipe over the cold tank in the attic, open the hot tap fully, and crack open the cold one. That will force mains pressure through the system and into the cold tank, thus clearing any airlocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Thanks a million Art6!

That sounds like it might actually work! It does seem like there is air in there alright, cause it gurgles all the time.
    The tricky thing for me will be getting the cold into the hot in the kitchen as it is all in the one tap(mixer). I think i will bring in a hose from the back and shove that onto the tap in the kitchen then open up the hot.
    I really hope this solves it!

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I thought it sounded more likely you have fit a high pressure shower valve into a lowpressure system thats why the pressure has reduced so much.

Where did you buy the shower

What model etc.

Is it a theremostatic or manual shower

As much info as possible.

If what was rec above me works....Dont worry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Bill-e wrote: »
    Thanks a million Art6!

That sounds like it might actually work! It does seem like there is air in there alright, cause it gurgles all the time.
    The tricky thing for me will be getting the cold into the hot in the kitchen as it is all in the one tap(mixer). I think i will bring in a hose from the back and shove that onto the tap in the kitchen then open up the hot.
    I really hope this solves it!

Thanks again!

No bother -- hope that's the solution. If you have a mixer tap in the kitchen, you can often get round the back flush issue by finding a plastic bottle that will fit over the tap outlet. Does the same job as a hose connection.

Advertisement