Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sir?

• 15-06-2009 10:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭

Alan Sugar of 'The Apprentice' fame*, is to be made Lord, thus overwriting his Sir status, so my question is, Did you call Alan Sugar, Sir Alan Sugar, and will you call him Lord Alan Sugar?

Is it just something that the British people should use or is that his official name to us all now. Personally I have never referred to him as Sir Alan, and think that it something that only applies to British people as his status, be it Sir or Lord does not extend beyond the reign of the Monarch.

Whats your view on this? Do you call him Sir Alan?

*He is obviously more famous for his business ventures but not to all. The Apprentice is what made him famous to a much wider audience.

Do you refer to them as Sir? 69 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    13% 9 votes
    Sir touched my special place
    86% 60 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I don't recognise the British monarchy and any of the associated titles. I have and will point blank refuse to use a title when addressing someone unless it was earned, like Doctor, Professor, Child-Molester Father etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

i prefer to call him a cock nosed sh!tmuncher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sugar daddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Sir, you're making a scene.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

I called him Alley Baby....he paid me substancially to do so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

KTRIC wrote: »
    I don't recognise the British monarchy and any of the associated titles. I have and will point blank refuse to use a title when addressing someone unless it was earned, like Doctor, Professor, Child-Molester Father etc...

Gerry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Quazzie wrote: »

Bollocks - 'Big Al' or 'head the ball'. Doesn't strike as the type to have too much time for that crap anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I'll switch to saccherine or aspartamine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

If the Irish government decided to have an hornors system and people were given the title of say 'The Legend' at the end of your name or The Supreme at the start of your name do you think an English person would address them as that?

There goes The Supreme Paddy Wacker.

Would you accept a title from the Irish government?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Nodin wrote: »
    Bollocks - 'Big Al' or 'head the ball'. Doesn't strike as the type to have too much time for that crap anyway.
    Spot on, although I hear he insists his wife calls him Sir.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Alan Sugar of 'The Apprentice' fame*, is to be made Lord, thus overwriting his Sir status, so my question is, Did you call Alan Sugar, Sir Alan Sugar, and will you call him Lord Alan Sugar?

Is it just something that the British people should use or is that his official name to us all now. Personally I have never referred to him as Sir Alan, and think that it something that only applies to British people as his status, be it Sir or Lord does not extend beyond the reign of the Monarch.

*He is obviously more famous for his business ventures but not to all. The Apprentice is what made him famous to a much wider audience.

Think I have a better chance of winning the lotto than meeting him, so I won't be calling him anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

so if he didn't earn the title sir or Lord, how did he get them? ebay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

He didn't earn it in the sense that he didn't go through years of training to get it....someone just decided that he deserves to get it

Quite possibly.

Aidric wrote: »
    Spot on, although I hear he insists his wife calls him Sir.

No. He calls his wife Freddy and she calls him Al

>_>
    <_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Ive never met him tbh

poisonated wrote: »
    He didn't earn it in the sense that he didn't go through years of training to get it....someone just decided that he deserves to get it

I suppose not. All he did was start off with nothing and create a £multi million business employing hundreds of people.

Much better he lock himself away in a dark room for 10 years sponging off the state and getting a bull**** doctorate in ancient greek poetry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I prefer Gerbil-Face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Congratulations on the first clueless post in this thread, you my good sir are a moron.

The guy is worth 730 million and brought us the Amstrad computer. He donates to Charity's and employees god knows how many people.

But I'm sure he's gonna be broken hearted that a Keyboard warrior doesn't recognize his achievements.

Congratulations on the first clueless post in this thread, you my good sir are a moron.

The guy is worth 730 million and brought us the Amstrad computer. He donates to Charity's and employees god knows how many people.

But I'm sure he's gonna be broken hearted that a Keyboard warrior doesn't recognize his achievements.

I was attacking the title, not the person. I know exactly who the man is and what he has done. I've worked in IT for over 10 years and owned a computer since the age of 3 so I think I might be familiar with his work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd call him Alan, or Mr Sugar to be formal. If he tried to get me to call him "Sir", or "Lord" Alan, I'd tell him to f**k off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Favourite joke when I was a kid:

Q: What do you call a gorilla with a machine gun?

A: Sir.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

http://shop.ebay.ie/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=title+lord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I know a bloke who met him in London at an event and he told he he was a genuine easy going bloke, no heirs or graces.
    I'd tend to belive it too.

Terry wrote: »

so? Sir Alan didn't buy his, he was awarded it.

When he is becomes a Lord, he will be able to take up a seat in the house of Lords. Buying a title on ebay doesn't come with the same benefits.

If you want to buy a title with any clout, is off the labour party :)

Alan Sugar earned his the same way Bono and Bob Geldoff earned theirs, hard work and dedication.

Alan Sugar earned his the same way Bono and Bob Geldoff earned theirs, hard work and dedication.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

so? Sir Alan didn't buy his, he was awarded it.

When he is becomes a Lord, he will be able to take up a seat in the house of Lords. Buying a title on ebay doesn't come with the same benefits.

If you want to buy a title with any clout, is off the labour party :)

Does this mean that congratulations are in order Lord Fratton?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Does this mean that congratulations are in order Lord Fratton?

please, call me Fred :D

• Advertisement

please, call me Fred :D

Thank you your Fredship (falls over and bangs head on Adams fireplace trying to curtsey) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

I wouldn't call anyone sir or lord if I met them!

I think it5s the biggest load of Sh!te and id rather refer to him and fergie as

BINTS

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

Don't us Irish give out freedom of cities and such to recognise peoples achievements? So the British do it a little differently big hoo ha it's their country let them run it how they like. For people to then turn around and say they refuse to recognise the titles given to them by their countries sounds a bit disrespectful to me. Other countries may well employ similar systems of recognition using different names, are they all to be ignored or is it just the British? How would you know if you met someone who was to be refered to as 'numnut' or something would you ask them how they got their title first before refusing to recognise them by it?

Not all titles have to be earned through years of hard work, Taoiseach, Tánaiste, President, none of these titles are earned they are given. Granted they are only temporary but the principle is the same.

battser wrote: »
    I wouldn't call anyone sir or lord if I met them!

I think it5s the biggest load of Sh!te and id rather refer to him and fergie as

BINTS

I had to phone the Chairman of vodafone once, I was bricking it cos i didn't know how i was supposed to address him. In the end i spoke to his PA and gave her all the info.

20 minutes later, i get a call from a guy addressing me as Mr. Fratton and telling me it was Ian McLauren and thanking me for the info blah blah.

Really nice guy, I think the Lord bit was for official use only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Sirallun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I don't recognise the British monarchy

The queen appears on the back of Sterling coins albeit a slightly younger version of her. Might help ya a little ;)

• Advertisement

I prefer the title that Alan Suger's competitors gave him when Amstrad started out "The Brentford Barrow Boy"

The queen appears on the back of Sterling coins albeit a slightly younger version of her. Might help ya a little ;)

Who is "The" Queen ?? unless things have changed a lot in Ireland over the past 2 years since I left I don't remember us having a queen.

Who is "The" Queen ?? unless things have changed a lot in Ireland over the past 2 years since I left I don't remember us having a queen.

Graham Norton, or that Senator David Norris?

so, er, what has that got to do with sir Alan's title?

for the avoidance of doubt, I would say the mention of "The Queen" in this thread refers to the the Queen who is the head of state in the UK as opposed to the Irish Queen

Edit: damn, Ejmaztec beat me to it, I must get quicker at this posting malarky

Graham Norton, or that Senator David Norris?

Eh,

Her Royal Highness Graham Norton of course :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

You said u don't recognise the "British Monarchy" so I gave you a pointer on how to do this. I didn't mention anything to do with Ireland in my post. :P

Off topic but didn't Bertie want to be addressed by something like "Taoisigh" for being a former Taoiseach?

You said u don't recognise the "British Monarchy" so I gave you a pointer on how to do this. I didn't mention anything to do with Ireland in my post. :P

Off topic but didn't Bertie want to be addressed by something like "Taosigh" for being a former Taoiseach?

"The Accused" would be better.

"The Accused" would be better.

The gouger formerly know as Taoiseach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

stovelid wrote: »
    I prefer Gerbil-Face.

That's Sir Gerbil Face to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I wouldn't call anyone sir anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

@ does that count for much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

@ does that count for much!
    A statatatat boatatatat??

That would be Lord Statatatat-Boatatatat to us mere mortals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Ahh sh@@s[/EMAIL]

Go figure!

Ahh sh@@s[/EMAIL]

Go figure!

What the hell are you talking about?

• Advertisement
Advertisement