Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossbows

Options
  • 15-06-2009 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I have done a bit of research on boards.ie and asked a Garda about the legailty of crossbows. Everybody seems to say the same thing. It is illegal to hunt with a crossbow...

However what about shooting targets. Is that illegal??? Or even for home protection maybe..??

Also I read a thread on here which a certain politicion was selling crossbows over the counter... So Im thinking that you are legit to buy a crossbow and just use it for targets.

Also I wonder, are certain restrictions in place, like airsoft restrictions where the gun is legal so long as it isn't over a certain joule. Maybe crossbows have similar restrictions.

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but my mind is boggled with all the different things Im reading and hearing. Please no ethics. I just want to know whats legal and whats not....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

YES. It is illegal to hunt with an Xbow in Ireland.
    YES . You need a liscense for one for target shooting.
    NO . You will not get a liscense for an Xbow for Home protection.Or any firearm for that matter.
    NO . Xbows have no simmilar restrictions on the energy like airsoft.They are classified as a firearm.
    NO ,whoever that politican was unless he was a regd firearms dealer and was entering liscense numbers for the Xbows would be in very deep warm&brown matter.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Damo1174 wrote: »
    I have done a bit of research on boards.ie and asked a Garda about the legailty of crossbows. Everybody seems to say the same thing. It is illegal to hunt with a crossbow...
    It is illegal, for anything you need a licence to hunt; and for anything else, you'd be done for animal cruelty. And we'd rather not get into a discussion on hunting with crossbows, we've already had to ban folks for this sort of thing (see the forum rules on not advocating illegal activity). So let's consider this a line drawn underneath that particular topic.
    However what about shooting targets. Is that illegal??? Or even for home protection maybe..??
    Target shooting with crossbows is both legal and fairly well-established (at least outside of Ireland). It's governed by the ISSF and by FITA, depending on the kind of crossbow shooting you're talking about. You will need a firearms licence. Beyond the firearms licence, you're pretty much into the purview of the Archery forum.

No, you can't get one for home defence. You can't get any firearms licence for that in this country, and asking for one will earn you some close attention from your local gardai.
    Also I read a thread on here which a certain politicion was selling crossbows over the counter...
    Link please?
    So Im thinking that you are legit to buy a crossbow and just use it for targets.
    Yes - if you have a firearms licence.
    Also I wonder, are certain restrictions in place, like airsoft restrictions where the gun is legal so long as it isn't over a certain joule. Maybe crossbows have similar restrictions.
    Nope. All crossbows need a firearms licence. The "muzzle energy" analogue in any crossbow is going to be well above 1 joule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Damo1174

Thanks Grizzly for the answer. Exactly what I was after.

and Sparks you wanted the link

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055564836

Just curious. If i was to go to that shop. Buy a crossbow. Then if the Gardai ever questioned me I could just say I thought with a politicion owning the shop and selling with no questions asked I just assumed that meant there was no laws regarding them. Because that is actually what caused alot of my confusion and why I posted. I didnt think a politicion would break the law like that.

Damo, read the end of that thread?
    The bit where it's moved into the Shooting forum after going on for a page or so, and then gets shut down inside of a few posts because noone was willing to actually stand over the accusation of who was selling what and under what circumstances...

It wasn't locked because nobody would stand over an accusation..??

Second last post: murph226

"lads why is thread being kept going in the shooting forumconfused.gif?

I know they are classed as a firearm but other than that I don't see why it should be in here, shooting is getting enough bad press at the moment.

Could the thread not be moved to archery?"

Last post: IRLConnor

"I'll ask the archery mods if they want it.

Locked until I get an answer."

• Advertisement

I thought at the time that Conor locked it while waiting on an answer to his earlier question of what exactly had happened in the shop.
    I may have read him wrong - but it'd have been what I'd have asked about.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Sparks wrote: »
    I thought at the time that Conor locked it while waiting on an answer to his earlier question of what exactly had happened in the shop.
    I may have read him wrong - but it'd have been what I'd have asked about.

I had locked it until I got an answer from the Archery mods on whether or not they wanted it. They said they didn't.

That thread has nowhere to go. If the person or business was identifiable (which it appeared to be) then there's no forum on this site which can accommodate it.

So does that mean that there are people running around with crossbows illegally who dont think they are breaking any laws.

I dont know what the penalty for illegal firearms is but surely if the guy behind the counter tells you they are legal you cant be held accountable.

So does that mean that there are people running around with crossbows illegally who dont think they are breaking any laws.
    No, it doesn't. It means someone said there might be. To quote a movie line, just because you see Heckel and Jeckel doesn't mean birds actually talk.
    I dont know what the penalty for illegal firearms is but surely if the guy behind the counter tells you they are legal you cant be held accountable.
    Ignorantia Juris non excusat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Listen,if you have a crossbow without a licence anbd you fget caught expect a fine of 400 or 3 months in prison its really that simple.
    People who want to shoot targets tend not to buy crossbows as they're a pain in the arse to use and horribly innacuarate.
    Law-abiding people prefer to get proper firearms to shoot with and tbh there was a sort of machismo about crossbows up to 20 years ago that isnt born out by their practicality.
    if you've got one illegally get rid of it,they're not worth a ****e and certainly not worth getting jailed for..

• Advertisement
Advertisement