Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD in popular culture

Options
  • 15-06-2009 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

* Circle of Friends (Novel/Movie) by Maeve Binchy.

Set in the 1950s, it focuses on the experiences of Bernadette "Benny" Hogan and her two friends as they enter UCD.

* Anarchy in Belfield (Song) by
    Johnny Jurex & The Punk Pistols

---

Does anyone know of any other films, novels, plays or songs set in or about UCD?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If I'm not mistaken, Paddy Kavanagh wrote a poem about it

O stony grey walls of Belfield,
    The laugh from my love you thieved;
    You took the the gay child of my passion
    And gave me your concrete-conceived.

etc.

I jest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Portrait of the Artist... James Joyce

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

The most obvious recent one has to be the second Ross O'Carroll-Kelly novel... bit more low-brow than Joyce though :pac:

A lot of the film 'Saltwater' is set in UCD, with one of the main characters being a philandering lecturer... It was by the makers of 'I went down' but didn't garner the same success and attention. Hard to find though, I only ever saw it on video and I don't think it ever got a DVD release.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

As above, I'm thinking Ross O'Carroll-Kelly: The Teenage Dirtbag Years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Ur College Degree.

Close thread. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

There's a thread on boards.ie about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

A poet once wrote about it a year before coming to UCD. It was called 'Cherry Blossoms In Bloom, Time To Study.

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Cherry Blossoms In Bloom,Time To Study[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Clock turns just past two in the pm.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Here I am in autumn,throat half full of phlegm[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Emancipated not fully,but a long way from home[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Reminiscent of times spent alone with a comb[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Remove the shackles,I became a free agent today[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Yesterday my last,I left it my way [/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Boycott non-comformity as it does not comply with the jigsaw[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Legitimate excuse to break the law[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Offer a helping hand to those that deserve me [/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Serious has its times but importantly to have fun [/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Series of events that has lead to this one[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Open doors for those you are attracted to [/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Massive information intake for our miniscule brains[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Sipping a drink worthy of Wayne [/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]In the summer where freedom holds the key[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Necessarily not the behaviour of the nativity [/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Bond with people with the option of more[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Limited time as silence hits the floor[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]October rain in the past[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Or the leaves will not set off as the trees fast[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Maximum potential reached but not applied [/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]The question of sun tan lotion will be subsidised[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Inside the stress and debt induced mind where nothing is wrong[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Migraines soothed by the robin's song[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Eventually having a permanent seat in the library [/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Taste the bittersweet pill of college life[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Or follow the bunnyhole pursuing a husband or wife [/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Single sleazes have at least one good year[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Theoretical approach but play it by ear[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Undesirables suddenly have their day in the sun[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Disregard your phone,books become your buddy[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]You see the cherry blossoms in bloom,time to study.[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]I wrote this a couple of days after the open day last year (not knowing I would end up in UCD) when my brother told me of the story about how cherry blossoms can inadvertantly advise people to get their books out.[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Bitta shameless self-promotion is always nice this time of year.:D
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Average... I KID! very very nicely done.

Cheers..and if I can find a publisher,get my three volumes published,make a lot of money and become a regular on late-night literary programmes,I'll give a shoutout to the auld alma mater.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

Boston Legal mentioned UCD in an episode:
    they referred to a paper that was written by someone in University College Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Boston Legal mentioned UCD in an episode:
    they referred to a paper that was written by someone in University College Dublin

any idea in what episode or season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Gregg

'Saltwater' is based on a play by Conor McPherson called ''This Lime Tree Bower"

Joyce's original version of Portrait is called "Stephen Hero" which contains much more about his time in UCD

UCD also features in some of the works of Brian O Nolan/Flann O Brien, in particular i think, 'At Swim Two Birds'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Gregg

And Christy Moore wrote a song about the Auditors of the L&H in the 1980s, the text of which can be found in the 150th anniversary of the society book published in 2005, which should be in the library

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

1968 wrote: »
    any idea in what episode or season?

Boston Legal, Season 2, Episode 21 "Word Salad Day"
    About 30 minutes or so in regarding Denise and a polygamy law case.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

That poem earlier in this thread is a total dump. I thought people stopped writing those "clever" poems with the title running through the first letter of each line when they were 7 or 8. Can't believe you were in leaving cert when you wrote this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Gregg wrote: »

UCD also features in some of the works of Brian O Nolan/Flann O Brien, in particular i think, 'At Swim Two Birds'

A relative of his just started in the college >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Fad wrote: »
    A relative of his just started in the college >_>

oh? ...

That poem earlier in this thread is a total dump. I thought people stopped writing those "clever" poems with the title running through the first letter of each line when they were 7 or 8. Can't believe you were in leaving cert when you wrote this :)

Whatever,man.It's your opinion,I just thought it was fun.No need to get all critical as if were my thesis or something.There are people that are still doing this in their old age.Write to Heaney and let me know what he thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

oh? ...

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

They're called acrostics, and lots of "proper" poets write them too. Gogarty wrote this poem "celebrating" the return of Irish soldiers to Dublin.

The Gallant Irish yeoman
    Home from the war has come
    Each victory gained o'er foeman
    Why should our bards be dumb.
    How shall we sing their praises
    Our glory in their deeds
    Renowned their worth amazes
    Empire their prowess needs.
    So to Old Ireland's hearts and homes
    We welcome now our own brave boys
    In cot and Hall; neath lordly domes
    Love's heroes share once more our joys.
    Love is the Lord of all just now
    Be he the husband, lover, son,
    Each dauntless soul recalls the vow
    By which not fame, but love was won.
    United now in fond embrace
    Salute with joy each well-loved face
    Yeoman: in women's hearts you hold the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Ouch, reported for expressing my opinion, that's reasonable. I think that kind of poetry is lazy and nauseating so I don't think criticism of it should be restricted to fawning praise. A bit more honesty and a bit less sycophantic praise-heaping would keep standards of published poetry up. For the record I think Gogarty's poem is dung aswell, so it's not like I stand corrected now that that's been posted. If I get infracted / banned so be it :)

Advertisement