Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Treasure Hunt !!!!

• 15-06-2009 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

The Boards Treasure Hunt is just an idea I've had for a great day out. I havent done one of these in ages but they're great craic. For those who never did one before the formula is simple.....So

The idea is that treasure trail is laid out in the form of clues and answers to questions. The clues lead you to find a spot where you'll then find the answer to a question. So...

1) A pre-arranged early morning meeting spot is decided upon. Lets say that spot is Wicklow town. Your first clue might read " The answer to your first question lies at the base of St Keins tower ". With a little investigation you'll discover you are looking for the monastery in Glendalough. Drive to Glendalough and search for the answer .

2) When you have found the answer ( usually one letter ) attached to this answer will be the clue to where the next answer is. Once you've found all the clues and answers you should then have enough letters to spell out a word. First team back with the right word spelt out wins..simple. There could be around 8 or ten clues so there'll be plenty of driving.

At the meeting spot that morning €5 per person will be collected from everybody with a maximum of 3 people per car. This fund will then be divided up into 1st , 2nd and 3rd prize.

To make sure nobody cheats a minimum time limit would be set to make sure people are not working in tandom by using mobile phones to collect the answers. This limit would be set by one of the organizers driving the lenght of the trail in advance at the legal limit. Also because there might be alot of people involved here and we dont want it to turn into a yobfest proof of insurance would be required from everyone.

Guys I could really do with some feedback to see who would be interested in participating. If you'd be like to do the run then click thanks to this post. Also there will be alot of organizing involved so anybody interested in helping to set it all up just send me a PM. All contributions are welcome ( especially from mods ) and maybe somebody here has organized one of these before. Hopfully we get a good response. Right then get going.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've done similar walking hunts around town and such. This sounds like fun although I'd be more interested should it happen in the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Probably try to do it around the Midlands in trying to keep everyone happy.....thast if it happens at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Sounds like a bit of fun, good way to get a group together alright..

Guys if you're into doing it please click thanks to the original post , that way we could get an idea how many might turn up. It would be great to see the selection of different motors turning up thats for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Admit it Saab Ed, you're just shilling for "Thanks"s. :P:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Does sound fun alright.

I don't drive myself... but I'm sure I could rustle up one my little regular drivers for it.

-Chris- wrote: »
    Admit it Saab Ed, you're just shilling for "Thanks"s. :P:D

Well I dont see yours, you waiting for an invite? :P:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

First thing I thought was that locals would have a better chance and the rest would have to try to find wikipedia.

Where do you find an internet connection in a field?

Berty wrote: »
    First thing I thought was that locals would have a better chance and the rest would have to try to find wikipedia.

Where do you find an internet connection in a field?

Ah you see it'll be spread put over 100 miles or so. Not many people are that local :D.......I think that would sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Sounds like a laugh...so long as people dont wind up racing down the road like mad men...but even if they were I'm in:D

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    Sounds like a laugh...so long as people dont wind up racing down the road like mad men...but even if they were I'm in:D

Theres always a chance you'll get some tossers but by and large any of the ones I went to were great fun with no such problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

FYI - there's no issue with organising/promoting this on boards, but if you're calling it a boards.ie treasure hunt please make sure everyone's responsible for their actions (and anyone who seriously misbehaves will most likely be banned from Motors).

I.E. the cycling forum has done boards.ie jerseys for their members to wear, but there's a strict rule that noone act the b*llox while wearing it.

Hope that's ok.

Probably wouldnt print the word " Boards" anywhere. That sorts that problem.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Your first clue might read " The answer to your first question lies at the base of St Keins tower ". With a little investigation you'll discover you are looking for the monastery in Glendalough. Drive to Glendalough and search for the answer .
    Will bonus points be earned for spotting the typos in the questions? :D

kbannon wrote: »
    Will bonus points be earned for spotting the typos in the questions? :D

No only 10 minute penalties :D:D:D smartarse

PS You better hope Im not writing the clues or we'll never get finished !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Guys if you're into doing it please click thanks to the original post , that way we could get an idea how many might turn up. It would be great to see the selection of different motors turning up thats for sure.

Haha you are just trying to get 'thanks' :eek::):o:p:D

Start a poll. :)

On a more serious note:

I think it would be a good idea if you had a rally type start - say 5 or 10 mins between each start.

You could also make it an overnight event - so, if you have the event somewhere in the midlands, say on a Saturday - we could overnight in a town, and go out for drinks in the evening - just a thought :D.

No need to split people up time wise because everybody gets the first clue at the same time but not everybody works out where they are heading at the same time ;)

I couldnt commit to an over night thing ( much as i'd love to :D ). IMO I think its best on a Sunday morning. What does everybody else think?

Oh and once we have a good few numbers then I'll put a poll up with a few suggestions as to where we can have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Oh and once we have a good few numbers then I'll put a poll up with a few suggestions as to where we can have it.

Carlow/Kilkenny/Waterford is a good area for this kind of thing.

I'm told.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'd be into doing something like this, i'd have to get a driver though, as i don't have a licence myself. :p

I wont give thanks just yet.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

4 wheel drive jeep, 2010 garmin maps on the satnav, a navigator with a laptop and 3g connection, 2 friends with more geographical knowledge than sense

Bring it on boardsies !!

4 wheel drive jeep, 2010 garmin maps on the satnav, a navigator with a laptop and 3g connection, 2 friends with more geographical knowledge than sense

Bring it on boardsies !!

And there was me thinking I could go on my bike and common sense :o.

I just hope it is a Jeep, and not some other make of 4X4 :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

P.C. wrote: »
    I just hope it is a Jeep, and not some other make of 4X4 :P.

unfortunatley for you its reliable and the heated seats wont go on fire :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

2 friends with more geographical knowledge than sense

Bring it on boardsies !!

And where would said "friends" be sitting?

I have the antidote to your cunning plan - quick call to the Gardai about one friend rolling around un the back of a commercial will scupper your plans :D;)

Good stuff Guys ..15 so far. Keep em coming :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

R.O.R wrote: »
    And where would said "friends" be sitting?

I have the antidote to your cunning plan - quick call to the Gardai about one friend rolling around un the back of a commercial will scupper your plans :D;)

They'd be his biker friends in convoy:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

If you want to go but do not want to give Saab Ed your thanks as he is a bit of a thanks whore then thank this post instead ;) by doing so you are telling Saab Ed that you are going but are refusing to give him thanks :D

Great idea Saab !

Anybody else up for it? 17 so far...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Anybody else up for it? 17 so far...

Sounds like it could be fun. I'd probably be up for it depending on dates and location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Could anyone who's not going, please thank my post. Just so we know who has read this and won't be able to attend.

*Cough cough*:p:pac::D

Could anyone who's not going, please thank my post. Just so we know who has read this and won't be able to attend.

*Cough cough*:p:pac::D

Man Im takin some flak for this :D ...I just thought it was a simple way to count numbers. OK people on this thread only the thanks option is now a Yup I'll go option ;):).....If everyones happy with that just click thanks to this post :D:D:D:D:D Only joking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Man Im takin some flak for this :D ...I just thought it was a simple way to count numbers. OK people on this thread only the thanks option is now a Yup I'll go option ;):).....If everyones happy with that just click thanks to this post :D:D:D:D:D Only joking.

Would you like a poll?

Would you like a poll?

Next week I was going to put up a poll as to where and when we could have it. Just wanted to see would it get any interest at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭tc20

I'd be interested, but you're not getting any thanks from me :D (just yet)

Great idea Ed, location not a problem. I'll confirm, with thanks, when the date is agreed if it suits.

Advertisement