Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Article on Ronaldo - Hits the spot IMO!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

how many points did we get cause of Ronaldo scoring when we needed something?

You can say that about many United players - Macheda and even Carrick ffs.
    How many times did he finish our top scorer?
    Twice

Whatever people think about Ronaldo, his importance to United's success should never be questioned and he will be a massive loss to United. Fergie has to invest the money gained well, to make up for the loss.

I don't agree and I don't see us missing him greatly. Great talent, but most times played for himself - yes we need to invest, but we would have needed to invest anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Liam O wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but we all agree that he is a fantastic footballer, so what's wrong with him saying it himself? I am a United fan and I've gone through a lot with regards to his personality, but I understand that if everyone says you are the best, and you are winning things, then what's wrong with saying that you yourself are the best?

Seriously?......OK.

Firstly, there's no need to be sorry. Sure, Cronaldo has some fantastic footballing skills and he's been effective as a goalscorer for ManUtd for the last 2-3 seasons......and he'll be missed for these reasons.

And it's understandable that someone in his position would have a larger ego than most and if they were really suggestible, that they might start to believe the hype.

However, CRonaldo's personality transcends all of these plausible and excusable 'celeb' character traits. His is a brand of narcissism so breathtaking in its nature and so lacking in wit, it beggars belief. It is amazing to bear witness to such bloated self-indulgence fused, ironically, with such limited self-awareness.

If 'The Boy Who Would Be God' has neither the wit nor the intelligence to understand that learning how to take the piss out of himself will make him a happier person in the long run, then we're just going to have to do it for him in the meantime. It would be even better if he didn't make it so easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

Irish people are unbeliveably bitter and show alot of hatred towards him. I have failed to venture into a pub that I haven't been subjected to 'he's ruining the game with his diving'? Open your ****ing eyes for one second.

It's the way football's gone, diving, arrogance and full of superstars.

Ronaldo has every reason to be arrogant. The guy is one of the best footballer sin the world, could have any women he wants and makes millions a year. He's more than entitled to behave however he wants.

Irish people's jealousy means that they are constantly having a pop at him. Let it go ffs.

tomED wrote: »

I don't agree and I don't see us missing him greatly. Great talent, but most times played for himself - yes we need to invest, but we would have needed to invest anyway...

So bloody what if he did? It's all about performance son the pitch that matters.

We would have won hardly any of our recent silverware without him. It's fact. It's no coincidence that when Ronaldo was playing well we generally won and that when he started to develop into the player he is today, we started to win trophy after trophy.

Irish people are unbeliveably bitter and show alot of hatred towards him. I have failed to venture into a pub that I haven't been subjected to 'he's ruining the game with his diving'? Open your ****ing eyes for one second.

It's the way football's gone, diving, arrogance and full of superstars.

Ronaldo has every reason to be arrogant. The guy is one of the best footballer sin the world, could have any women he wants and makes millions a year. He's more than entitled to behave however he wants.

Irish people's jealousy means that they are constantly having a pop at him. Let it go ffs.

I'm sorry but no-one dives as much as Ronaldo - certainly not at united. I never had a problem with his diving, that's the type of player he is and in some cases I'd even go as far as to say "if you're travelling at that speed it only takes a nudge to knock you over".

If you think Irish people are bitter because of this guys success - you're seriously out of touch with reality.

So bloody what if he did? It's all about performance son the pitch that matters.

We would have won hardly any of our recent silverware without him. It's fact. It's no coincidence that when Ronaldo was playing well we generally won and that when he started to develop into the player he is today, we started to win trophy after trophy.

It's a team game - so to assume we wouldn't have won anything without him is naive to the core.

We've won medals when he wasn't on form - have you forgotten that?

If you think Irish people are bitter because of this guys success - you're seriously out of touch with reality.

Why because he's fantastic and knows it? Why does it bother people so much than he thinks he's fantastic? He is. He's one(if not the) best in the world appreciate his skills on the field. The Premiership won't be half as an exciting place without him next year.

It's a team game - so to assume we wouldn't have won anything without him is naive to the core.

Have you not seen his form concides without or success?

Remember the spell of dominance from Chelsea? Did we have Ronaldo during that period playing half as well as he is now?

Look at the stats for the three in a row. Take Ronaldo's goals out of the side and we're midtable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

'The Boy Who Would Be God'

I love how you put this absolutely retarded moniker in inverted commas as if to suggest someone more credible than yourself made it up :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Do you really think we'd have won anything without him the year he scored 42 goals? Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

long term, utd will be fine.

but it would amaze me, f*cking astonish me, if it doesn't effect utd somewhat in the short term.

he's arguably the best player in the world. any team is going to take a while to adjust.

Ronaldo's league form in our three in a row.

06/07- 17 goals 16 assists.
    07/08- 31 goals 7 assists.
    08/09- 18 goals 6 assists.

He's one of the most clinical players to ever play for United. Ole and Rudd are just two that surpass him. I'm not his biggest fan to say the least but without him we wouldn't have won the thinsg we've won. We've no clinical goalscorer now in the side and that's a real worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'm a member of a number of forums and there's a lot of United fans who are saying they're glad to see the back of him yada yada.

Maybe personality wise. but there is not a single other player today who can match what he did for you, bar Messi. So I don't know how people can say he's not a huge loss or they're happy to see him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

That article underlines the supreme jealousy from non united fans, yes he was an ass but can you really deny that he was one of the best players ever to grace the premiership

Why because he's fantastic and knows it? Why does it bother people so much than he thinks he's fantastic? He is. He's one(if not the) best in the world appreciate his skills on the field. The Premiership won't be half as an exciting place without him next year.

I'm sorry man, but I don't care if he loves himself. I'm a football fan. If he plays well, I'll credit him. If he plays terrible, I'll knock him.

He is a skillful player - does he have the mind of a genius? Eh no.

Give me a player with superior knowledge of the game over someone he can kick or control the ball superbly any day of the week.

The premiership will be really exciting again because the gap between the top 3 is going to be closer than it ever has been. No excitement will be lost because we have lost one great player.
    Have you not seen his form concides without or success?

Em no - because 3 seasons ago he had a mediocre season. We still won the title.
    Remember the spell of dominance from Chelsea? Did we have Ronaldo during that period playing half as well as he is now?

Oh for god sake - what game do you watch? Are you really a GAA fan in disguise?

Did you miss the whole fact that Chelsea lost their greatest manager ever in the shape of "The Special One".
    Look at the stats for the three in a row. Take Ronaldo's goals out of the side and we're midtable.

Again, it's a team game - Ronaldo scored goals yes, but he played as a striker in most games over the last two seasons - so he was bound to be our top scorer.

Oh and take away all those cleansheets this season and we probably would have been mid table too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

curry-muff wrote: »
    That article underlines the supreme jealousy from non united fans, yes he was an ass but can you really deny that he was one of the best players ever to grace the premiership
    the article was wrote by a Man Utd fan..................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

stevoman wrote: »
    the article was wrote by a Man Utd fan..................

Not a real one if you ask me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

So what you are saying is that if you are lucky enough to be gifted in something and it makes you millions and your rich then you have the god given right to behave in whatever way you like? :rolleyes: If thats your attititude then god love ya mate.

What about Ronaldo maybe being a role model for young kids who idolise him or being an ambassador for the game of soccer. Would that be too much for him with all his millions would it? or do you think that if he's rich enough and can get the women etc, menial things like this shouldnt ever cross his mind?

I'm sorry man, but I don't care if he loves himself. I'm a football fan. If he plays well, I'll credit him. If he plays terrible, I'll knock him.

He is a skillful player - does he have the mind of a genius? Eh no.

Give me a player with superior knowledge of the game over someone he can kick or control the ball superbly any day of the week.

The premiership will be really exciting again because the gap between the top 3 is going to be closer than it ever has been. No excitement will be lost because we have lost one great player.

Oh for god sake - what game do you watch? Are you really a GAA fan in disguise?

Did you miss the whole fact that Chelsea lost their greatest manager ever in the shape of "The Special One".

Again, it's a team game - Ronaldo scored goals yes, but he played as a striker in most games over the last two seasons - so he was bound to be our top scorer.

Oh and take away all those cleansheets this season and we probably would have been mid table too.

He's a 'skilful player'? That's all you can say about the best player in the world. He's so much more. Skilful yes, he's quick, strong, two footed, can score from distance and is an exceptionally clinical finisher aswell. he's great in the air, has a fantastic leap and then you have the cheek to question me about football.

Much more than skilful player. Mind of a genius? Who give a damn about his mind? It's about on field performances and they've been out of this world.

Mediorce season. 17 goals and 16 assist? :D You're clueless.

So the reason united lost the title was all down to Jose leaving? I seem to remember things were going quite poorly that season and Grant actually did a great job.

Berbatov played as a striker? So did Rooney? So did the hero Tevez? They didn't score a patch on what Ronaldo did. Bound to be?

You're hatred or whatever you're blinded by is embarrassing to read.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Do you really think we'd have won anything without him the year he scored 42 goals? Seriously?

Yes
    SlickRic wrote: »
    long term, utd will be fine.

but it would amaze me, f*cking astonish me, if it doesn't effect utd somewhat in the short term.

he's arguably the best player in the world. any team is going to take a while to adjust.

Time will tell I guess...
    Ronaldo's league form in our three in a row.

06/07- 17 goals 16 assists.
    07/08- 31 goals 7 assists.
    08/09- 18 goals 6 assists.

He's one of the most clinical players to ever play for United. Ole and Rudd are just two that surpass him. I'm not his biggest fan to say the least but without him we wouldn't have won the thinsg we've won. We've no clinical goalscorer now in the side and that's a real worry.

Yes he has been one of the most clinical in recent history - and I agree we've no clinical goal scorer in the way we currently play.

So we need to make adjustments, a winger, another world class striker to play with Rooney.
    curry-muff wrote: »

She's a man u fan ! :)

• Advertisement

stevoman wrote: »
    So what you are saying is that if you are lucky enough to be gifted in something and it makes you millions and your rich then you have the god given right to behave in whatever way you like? :rolleyes: If thats your attititude then god love ya mate.

What about Ronaldo maybe being a role model for young kids you idolise him or being an ambassador for the game of soccer. Would that be too much for him with all his millions would it? or do you think that if he's rich enough and can get the womken things like this shouldnt ever cross his mind?

Lucky enough to be 'gifted in something'? I'm sure he didn't put in hours upon hours of hard work to achieve the level he is at. Listent o any player from United and they'll tell you how hard he used to work in training. He would stay behind afterwards practising free-kicks and shooting on his own.

Whatever way he likes? Is he harming anyone? You all make him out to be teh anti-christ. He's moany, petulant and sometime a tool but when push came to shove and I wanted someone to stand up and be counted Ronaldo generally would.

Would I care about being a role model? Did Keano care when he smash Haalands leg in? Did Zidane care when he head butted Materazzi? Is Ronaldo's crime worse than some of those?

So we need to make adjustments, a winger, another world class striker to play with Rooney.

World class trikers just lie around and wait to be signed iirc. the sunny Manchester weather is a huge attraction to those who play in Spain.:rolleyes:

Don't be surprised to find yourself on alot of people's ignore lists after this utterly bizarre comment.

What can you actually be on about!?

Lol

Again, you seem to be on some sort of drugs. According to you:

1. Chelsea lose the best manager in the world and fall apart.
    2. United lose the best player in the world and you think nothing untoward will happen.

It has to be drugs...
    Ronaldo scored goals yes, but he played as a striker in most games over the last two seasons - so he was bound to be our top scorer.

Again, hallucinogens are wrecking you.

But take away the 42 goals the year before and we'd still have won the league :confused:

A series of facepalm posts sir, wp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Did Zidane care when he head butted Materazzi?

Thou shalt not take the name of zidane in vain!!!

adm wrote: »
    Thou shalt not use the name of zidane in vain!!!

Zidane>>>>>>*

;)

Tbf, it's just like this kind of stuff about Ronaldo being the anti-christ is laughable. Alot of the great players have flaws and what Ronaldo has done is nothing worse than some others stuff. Everything he does he gets crucified.

He's a 'skilful player'? That's all you can say about the best player in the world. He's so much more. Skilful yes, he's quick, strong, two footed, can score from distance and is an exceptionally clinical finisher aswell. he's great in the air, has a fantastic leap and then you have the cheek to question me about football.

Yes - you've summed it up nicely - Skillful.

Brain of a true footballing legend - no way.

Much more than skilful player. Mind of a genius? Who give a damn about his mind? It's about on field performances and they've been out of this world.

A proper footie fan, someone that loves the game, someone that loves substance and watching an artist at work. That's who gives a damn.

I don't watch football just to see United win everything. I watch football because I enjoy watching the best players in the world doing what they are best at.

The champions league final is a classic example - what was more enthralling, hoping that United would pull back a goal or enjoying watching Barcelona cut us up. The latter for me. They were just brilliant.
    Mediorce season. 17 goals and 16 assist? :D You're clueless.

So has Rooney had a mediocre or excellent season this year? Mediocre imo but done just as good.
    So the reason united lost the title was all down to Jose leaving? I seem to remember things were going quite poorly that season and Grant actually did a great job.

Eh United won the title - not all - but a big reason for United winning was that Jose was no longer in control and Chelse were no longer the team they had been.
    Berbatov played as a striker? So did Rooney? So did the hero Tevez? They didn't score a patch on what Ronaldo did. Bound to be?

Berbatov as everyone knows has been a big disappointment - I said at the time we bought him that I didn't know why.

Rooney only played a handful of games as an out and out striker. When Ronaldo played, Rooney was the one who was sacrificed.

Tevez hardly played this season. One of the reasons he wants to leave.
    You're hatred or whatever you're blinded by is embarrassing to read.

Sorry Dude, but you should really read back your own responses. I think you'll see you are in fact describing yourself.

Your blindness is making out that Ronaldo is the reason we've been so successful - it's a game of football - not tennis. 11 players on the pitch not one....

As I've said (if you read) there's absolutely no hatred here - I think Ronaldo comes across as a decent sod in his interviews. I don't mind his arrogance - sure we had to put up with Cantona ffs, the master of arrogance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I don't watch football just to see United win everything. I watch football because I enjoy watching the best players in the world doing what they are best at

The champions league final is a classic example - what was more enthralling, hoping that United would pull back a goal or enjoying watching Barcelona cut us up. The latter for me. They were just brilliant.

Oh God. Are you actually admitting that you prefer to see your team get torn apart then them winning? Seriously? You are not a fan.

Eh United won the title - not all - but a big reason for United winning was that Jose was no longer in control and Chelse were no longer the team they had been.

You seem to be forgetting we won the league while Jose was there.

Berbatov as everyone knows has been a big disappointment - I said at the time we bought him that I didn't know why.

Rooney only played a handful of games as an out and out striker. When Ronaldo played, Rooney was the one who was sacrificed.

Berbatov has been dissapointing at times, but overall he hasn't been IMO.

Rooney actually played a handful of games out wide, and the majority of them upfront.

Tevez played plenty of games. You swear he sat on the bench for mo0nths on end the way people go on.

Yes - you've summed it up nicely - Skillful.

Brain of a true footballing legend - no way.

Why? He has the physicial and technical ability? I think he reads the game fantasticially well at times. True footballing legend? Not yet, but by your reckoning no one will ever get there again.

A proper footie fan, someone that loves the game, someone that loves substance and watching an artist at work. That's who gives a damn.

I don't watch football just to see United win everything. I watch football because I enjoy watching the best players in the world doing what they are best at.

So Ronaldo isn't brillant at what he does?:rolleyes:
    So has Rooney had a mediocre or excellent season this year? Mediocre imo but done just as good.

Quoe em where I said that. If you took your time to read rather than just reading what you wnat. My point with Rooney was goals. He wouldn't have taken the place of Ronaldo because he's not nearly as clinical. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work this out.

So Ronaldo had nothing got to do with us wining it? 18 goals and 17 assist? Open your eyes. You come across as deluded.

Neither Rooney or Berba are as clinical as Ronaldo. This is fact. That was my point but way to miss it AGAIN.

Tevez played more minutes than any other striker. You know nothing once again.:rolleyes:

Sorry Dude, but you should really read back your own responses. I think you'll see you are in fact describing yourself.

Your blindness is making out that Ronaldo is the reason we've been so successful - it's a game of football - not tennis. 11 players on the pitch not one....

So who would have scored the goals for the 12 million price if we didn't have Ronaldo? The prolific Rooney and Berba? The 'disrespected' Tevez. Carrick? Anderson? Who please tell me?
    As I've said (if you read) there's absolutely no hatred here - I think Ronaldo comes across as a decent sod in his interviews. I don't mind his arrogance - sure we had to put up with Cantona ffs, the master of arrogance.

You could of fooled me.

Don't be surprised to find yourself on alot of people's ignore lists after this utterly bizarre comment.

What can you actually be on about!?

Why cause you don't understand it? Have you ever kicked a ball?
    Again, you seem to be on some sort of drugs. According to you:

1. Chelsea lose the best manager in the world and fall apart.
    2. United lose the best player in the world and you think nothing untoward will happen.

It has to be drugs...

LOL - Would you look at yourself - what you? a scouser?

You just gotta look at Uniteds history when we lost players that people thought we couldn't live without. We did ok didn't we?

Take away a manager like Jose or Alex and that would be a lot different.

Again, hallucinogens are wrecking you.

Eh why? Because I can state a fact coherently?

But take away the 42 goals the year before and we'd still have won the league :confused:

Again - don't really understand your confusion - what is it your on?

Mathematically if you take away those goals you probably would be mid-table - I wouldn't waste my brain trying to figure out the exact numbers.

But that doesn't mean that if Ronaldo didn't get those goals that no-one else would have or that we wouldn't have won the games.
    A series of facepalm posts sir, wp

?? :confused: ??

World class trikers just lie around and wait to be signed iirc. the sunny Manchester weather is a huge attraction to those who play in Spain.:rolleyes:

:confused:

• Advertisement

:confused:

If you can't comprehend that it shows how little you actually know.

Name these world class strikers you would think will play for United?

Oh God. Are you actually admitting that you prefer to see your team get torn apart then them winning? Seriously? You are not a fan.

Em no - I said that I enjoyed watching a team playing football more than fretting over whether or not united would get back into it.
    You seem to be forgetting we won the league while Jose was there.

I'm not - I was responding to a previous comment.
    Berbatov has been dissapointing at times, but overall he hasn't been IMO.

Depends on what you expected from him. He never fitted into our side, doesn't make him a bad player - just didn't suit the way we play - this season.

Rooney actually played a handful of games out wide, and the majority of them upfront.

On what paper? Certainly wasn't on the pitch.

Tevez played plenty of games. You swear he sat on the bench for mo0nths on end the way people go on.

Ok "hardly" was the wrong word to use - but he played a third less than berba or rooney and nearly half what Ronaldo played.

If you can't comprehend that it shows how little you actually know.

Name these world class strikers you would think will play for United?

I can't comprehend because it is in no context to what we were discussing.

Why would I start listing players who i *think* would like to play for United. How the hell am I supposed to know that???

What will I do just pick random names from the top of my head??? Don't be so stupid.

Em no - I said that I enjoyed watching a team playing football more than fretting over whether or not united would get back into it.

I can understand a neutral saying this but somebody who says they are United fan? I could barely understand this kind of attitude if it was friendly never mind the final of the CL. Sorry but I just can't take what you seriously now.

I can't comprehend because it is in no context to what we were discussing.

Why would I start listing players who i *think* would like to play for United. How the hell am I supposed to know that???

What will I do just pick random names from the top of my head??? Don't be so stupid.

It's in realtion to the loss of Ronaldo. It's the way you're talking you would think he's easily replaced and would still have won everythng without him. Simple for some though.

I can understand a neutral saying this but somebody who says they are United fan? I could barely understand this kind of attitude if it was friendly never mind the final of the CL. Sorry but I just can't take what you seriously now.

Why because I don't let the love of my team overshadow my ability to recognise good football when I see it?

Do you really enjoy that feeling of despair when your team is losing and not looking like getting back into it?

I enjoy watching my team get back into it, whether that good play or a goal.

But the butterflies and loss of hope when your team is performing badly and look like a lost cause is definitely not something I enjoy.

Why because I don't let the love of my team overshadow my ability to recognise good football when I see it?

Recognising good football is one thing, but actually being able to enjoy it when my team is losing. Not a chance.
    Do you really enjoy that feeling of despair when your team is losing and not looking like getting back into it?

I enjoy nothing when my team is losing. Good football, pints, smokes, whatever, nothing could make me say as sure we are losing but I'm really enjoying watching Barca here.
    I enjoy watching my team get back into it, whether that good play or a goal.

But the butterflies and loss of hope when your team is performing badly and look like a lost cause is definitely not something I enjoy.

Your not supposed to enjoy it, whoever your not supposed to be able to ignore it either IMO.

It's in realtion to the loss of Ronaldo. It's the way you're talking you would think he's easily replaced and would still have won everythng without him. Simple for some though.

Em no it's not - you're asking me to name players that would like to play for United.

I never said we needed someone to "replace" Ronaldo - I said we needed two players, a winger and a world class striker. If you want me to say who I'd love to have at united, well that's easy.

But you seem to want me to tell you who I think we'll get - I can't answer that. I could throw out the names that are being bandied around in the paper - but that's just the rumour mill, not reality until offers have been accepted.

And I still think we would have won everything without him - too many great players at United for us to fall over after the loss of one.

And I still think we would have won everything without him - too many great players at United for us to fall over after the loss of one.

This post sums up how little you know? I put it to you then. Where would his goals come from?

Bearing in mind Rooney and Berbatov aren't prolific? Tevez was too busying being 'disrespected'. Anderson has never scored? Carick who scores around 5 every year. Where would his goals come from?

• Advertisement

Recognising good football is one thing, but actually being able to enjoy it when my team is losing. Not a chance.

I enjoy nothing when my team is losing. Good football, pints, smokes, whatever, nothing could make me say as sure we are losing but I'm really enjoying watching Barca here.

Well that's the making of the cliched "sore loser" isn't it.

Why can't you enjoy someone playing the game the way it should be played?

Because you're more interested in "being the winner" than enjoying the game that you love? Why do you want to be the winner all the time? Is part of the fun not being part of it?

Life's to short to be always thinking about winning!

If my only enjoyment from watching football was just to win, regardless of how we played, I'd be a Liverpool fan...
    Your not supposed to enjoy it, whoever your not supposed to be able to ignore it either IMO.

If you've got an ounce of will power - it wouldn't be too hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

This thread is totally awesome, full of win tbh.

If you want to continue discussion of Ronaldo's move the go here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055589562

Before anyone does that I suggest a quick look over the forum charter lest you land yourself in a spot of bother.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement