Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JEB Teaching Diploma

Options
  • 15-06-2009 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭

Was looking at the post below about IT training and it tweaked my interest.
    I would like to know how useful is the JEB qualification? I was thinking of doing the JEB Teaching Diploma in Information Technology as I have an honours degree in IT and some work experience in IT.
    However I would like to know if it will lead to employment afterwards? There are no guarantees at the end of any course I know but it would be great to hear from someone who has done the JEB and got a job after.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jaoibh

I looked into this myself and I'm seriously thinking of doing the course in DBS part time.

From what I've learned is they teach you how to do perperation and lesson plans you do a number of presentations through out the course and get used to teaching a class.

But you can't gaurantee employment for anyone with out experience.

If you personally enjoy speaking to rooms of people and sharing your knowledge then go for it and let us know how you get on. But no one can say you'll definitely get work as soon as its done because once budgets get cut Training is the first to go!

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

Thanks man, I've only ever spoke to a room of people once and it wasn't too bad.
    Anyway I found out from another source that I would need to do a HDip in order to teach at second level, the JEB on it's own would not be enough.
    So that would mean that even if I had the JEB diploma I would only be able to teach at FAS centres and the like which is not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jaoibh

lukin wrote: »
    So that would mean that even if I had the JEB diploma I would only be able to teach at FAS centres and the like which is not great.

Now now there's nothing wrong with starting off doing a Fas course. Not everyone knows what they want to do when they leave School and Fas point people in the right direction.

Plus people who go to Fas are usually more mature than Secondary school children.

My sister is a secondary school teacher and the crap she has to put up with.
    As far as technical IT certification JEB or the Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT)
    would be the direction I'd point you in.

Best of luck with what ever decission you make.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

Jaoibh wrote: »
    Now now there's nothing wrong with starting off doing a Fas course. Not everyone knows what they want to do when they leave School and Fas point people in the right direction.

Plus people who go to Fas are usually more mature than Secondary school children.
    Point taken, but FAS funding is being cut. FAS students are usually adults and therefore more serious I agree.

My sister is a secondary school teacher and the crap she has to put up with.
    Yeah, they put up with a lot.
    As far as technical IT certification JEB or the Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT)
    would be the direction I'd point you in.

Dave

That's an idea. Stuff like Word and Excel would bore me but that's where the demand is. Not many places in Cork (where I live) do the MCT and those that do charge an arm and a leg.

Advertisement