Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs on Bishop O'Donnell Road

Options
  • 15-06-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭

Anyone see the new signs on Bishop O'Donnell Road in Westside, things like 'speeding causes traffic' and 'try cycling to work etc'. Erected by Galway City Council.

Nice to see they've absolutely no plans to improve the road or public transport network, and their solution is to chuck up a couple of signs telling us to cycle in the rain. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Seen one on the way home from Cork yesterday "Burn fat, not oil - Cycle"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

City council's transportation unit are putting up signs like this all over the city this week
    amongst other events, you can rent a bike for two hours free all this week in eyre square which is fantastic

What's wrong with cycling in the rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

snubbleste wrote: »
    City council's transportation unit are putting up signs like this all over the city this week
    amongst other events, you can rent a bike for two hours free all this week in eyre square which is fantastic

You get wet

You get wet

So?
    Wear lightweight waterproof overalls as you pedal to your hearts content

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You get wet and sweaty which in jobs where you come in direct contact with other people, be they your superiors, customers or colleagues is not an ideal way to start your work day.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    You get wet and sweaty which in jobs where you come in direct contact with other people, be they your superiors, customers or colleagues is not an ideal way to start your work day.

Change of clothes and potential shower at work, ok not realistic in most workplaces, but galway is not that big and there is no reason why more people should'nt take to the saddle to get around

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Hi Guys

It's to promote this http://www.bikeweek.ie/

In regard to Flazio post, if you are only cycling 3 to 4 miles to work, are a bit fit and have ok gear, you will not be very sweaty if sweaty at all (I wear a suit at work)

I only started cycling to work etc in the last few months and it's great I'd recommend for anyone to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I bike a bit on Bóthar na dTreabh, or whatever you call the ringroad yourself.

They did some mysterious works there lately that went on a bit. The bikepaths and footpaths were off limits. Now those holes are filled in and the paths are seemingly open again between the Morris and Kirwan roundabouts.

However, at there are dreadful and dangerious repairs at two points where the path 'lumps' up. It is awkward now and will be dangerous in the winter.

Are the council responsible for signing off on the quality of the job? If so, it makes a mockery of their cycling campaign.

topper75 wrote: »
    I bike a bit on Bóthar na dTreabh, or whatever you call the ringroad yourself.
    They did some mysterious works there lately that went on a bit. The bikepaths and footpaths were off limits. Now those holes are filled in and the paths are seemingly open again between the Morris and Kirwan roundabouts.
    However, at there are dreadful and dangerious repairs at two points where the path 'lumps' up. It is awkward now and will be dangerous in the winter.
    Are the council responsible for signing off on the quality of the job? If so, it makes a mockery of their cycling campaign.

I know where you are talking about, it's bad enough. The reason the roadwork signs were removed early was due to 'clean up' the place for the Volvo Ocean race.
    I'd send an email to Roads about it if i were you and ask them to finish it off properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Putting the signs up is probably all the council can afford to do after they spent so much money on the wonderful improvements at the Huntsman roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

One of those signs is crying out to be changed.

It says -

SPEED LEADS TO FEAR
    FEAR LEADS TO TRAFFIC THE DARK SIDE

Also the picture of cars could be rearranged to look like Darth Vader's mask. They're just stickers on a white board.

Someone please do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I thought myself that it was slow and hesitant takeoffs at junctions and roundabouts that cause the traffic.

Plus slow turnoffs when the turnoff road is blatantly clear. Grrrr.

Yes slow take offs lead to anger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Until I can freshen up at work with a shower I'm not cycling there. I do however walk or run pretty much everywhere else. It's amazing how many people say, ah you must work out, doesn't take working out to look good, just getting off the car-seat!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

wet wipes.

like a portable shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Change of clothes and potential shower at work, ok not realistic in most workplaces, but galway is not that big and there is no reason why more people should'nt take to the saddle to get around

Lots of bigger workplaces (with more employees) have showers, though - and you save on the water heating too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Xiney wrote: »
    wet wipes.

like a portable shower.

Only socially acceptable at Electric Picnic :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I saw 2 people at 2 different times today cycling on the wrong side of the Seamus Quirke! What the hell?! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

Das Kitty wrote: »
    One of those signs is crying out to be changed.

It says -

SPEED LEADS TO FEAR
    FEAR LEADS TO TRAFFIC THE DARK SIDE

Also the picture of cars could be rearranged to look like Darth Vader's mask. They're just stickers on a white board.

Someone please do it!

excellent, but i reckon youve been sitting in the traffic too long there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Saw this one beside The Huntsman at the new junction.

funny_road_sign.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

excellent, but i reckon youve been sitting in the traffic too long there:D

Nah, whizzing by it at 7am, early work hours mean I avoid most of the traffic in both directions. Good thing as I live on the opposite side of town to which I work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

those signs got flattened:(

Advertisement