Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Pub on fire

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 guimhne

just seen it. It is gutted. top floor nearly gone and it collapsed down. The fire started in the new restaurant. I was in the grad last week and upstairs has just finished a revamp. it LOOKED well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Seems like a very odd time for the place to go up in flames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Shelly23

It started between 9.30 and 10am i think. colleagues trickling into work at 9.30 didnt see anything and few mentioned it at around 10... wouldv'e thought the pub/ restaurant would be empty at those times bar minimal staff cleaning/ preparing etc.

Insurance scam.

It had to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 misslolapants

Madness! Im off work in 15 mins, defo goin to see it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Same As wrote: »
    Supposedly a Chinese restaurant opened upstairs recently, not quite sure how business was going for them?

Apparently, it's smoking hot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Harri

Does anyone know what started it? there's a huge debate going on in my house cause we've all heard different things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Insurance scam.

It had to be said.

:eek: I was waiting for it. never in the history of pubs has one just burned down by accident.

Although a friend of mine burned down his parents pub many years back when they were away. He was in-charge and got locked, and during a lock in, he decided to get some petrol to light the fire, and here is the result:
    http://www.rusthallscouts.org.uk/Images/Views/Toad%20Fire.jpg

Opps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lordted

My Uncle informs me its totally destroyed. The adjoining shopping centre is also closed for fear electrical generator may also catch fire and burn the lot down. Hard luck to anyone having their party there this week. :(

This pic is available on the Irish times website.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0615/breaking31.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

No Way! :eek:

• Advertisement

Lordted wrote: »
    My Uncle informs me its totally destroyed. The adjoining shopping centre is also closed for fear electrical generator may also catch fire and burn the lot down. Hard luck to anyone having their party there this week. :(

This pic is available on the Irish times website.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0615/breaking31.htm

Or their wedding reception......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

I work in the center and the Gradge is gutted completely:( Heard it started as an electrical fault in the office and off it went. It was fully in flames inside a half hour from bout 9.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

thats some fire to have been started by an electrical fault! Did they not have a fire alarm? smoke alarm? even a sprinkler system, considering it cost 9 million, you would think that you would have it well protected... at least it didnt start in the evening time or at night when the pub would be busy, thank god :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Lordted wrote: »
    Hard luck to anyone having their party there

I would have said that before the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I feel sorry for the people who worked there, I'm sure their jobs arnt insured.

I would have said that before the fire.

rflmao

one of the girls in work said that seemingly the fire brigade were there in seconds but they couldn’t get the pressure for the water apparently it was on coming out of the hose in drips they had to wait 40mins until it worked properly

My mother is gonna have a heart attack when she gets back from her hols, she keeps that place in business!!

just drove by it there. flames still visible in the roof, it's a sad sight. I spotted a few people driving by who had hands to their mouths in shock, i guess cos it's a bit of a local landmark.
    Next question is: which pub takes the slack?? The madge or the Horse and Hound?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Shelly23 wrote: »

Bakers Corner I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Shelly23 wrote: »
    just drove by it there. flames still visible in the roof, it's a sad sight. I spotted a few people driving by who had hands to their mouths in shock, i guess cos it's a bit of a local landmark.

The Tragic Mat is a hole...

I'd say The Druids Chair will do well from this...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    The Tragic Mat is a hole...

have you been in since it's "re-launch" ?? not bad looking- only the dirty, smelly old man crowd drags it down! hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Bakers Corner I would say.

+1. Yep, Baker's is the nearest "big pub".

I expect to see a busier than usual Baker's for the South Africa match on Saturday.

it'll be straight to byrnes in shankill for me, not that I'm a big graduate frequenter but was grand for grub and had the cheapest prices around!

The victor do food but it's the most boring pub in the world, there is nowhere else that has music etc at the weekends..... There is an older crowd in the graduate that I don't think would be big on bakers.

Maybe with zodiac and the likes back in the noggin in it will get some of the crowd but I for one shall not be setting foot in the place - yuck!

Bakers Corner, Rochestown Lodge and even the Druids Chair will probably see a bit more trade because of this.

This fire will be talked about for years. Its a very boring area.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Bakers Corner, Rochestown Lodge and even the Druids Chair will probably see a bit more trade because of this.

This fire will be talked about for years. Its a very boring area.

Why are there more exciting areas where a fire in a local pub wouldn't be talked about??

I'd say Rochestown Lodge would do the best as its the closest. But I'd say it'll be a long time until the Graduate is re built. Mind you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Missed the main spectacle unfortunately.
    C44133A6DA1B48109F155D44BCF8F710.jpg

• Advertisement

Lol in the pic "function rooms available"..

umm maybe not anymore... hehe

Advertisement