Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Pub on fire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

:o My Dad would buy me a 'Madison' every Sunday there, years ago..

The sniping about the insurance is a bit harsh, it was the new unit beside it (above the vacant lot - previously Xtra-vision\Flix) that was umm.. built at the worst possible time, not to mention the retail rent they wanted for it. The center has been stagnant\in decline for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Why are there more exciting areas where a fire in a local pub wouldn't be talked about??

Yeah loads. Have you ever been to Goatstown? They have a clothes shop for obese people and its also where Charlie Chalk had one of his pegs blown off in a botched hostage attempt.

What could be more exciting than that?!

Amalgam wrote: »

Oh my god, I used to love Maddison's! that brings me back!

anyone know yet if the roads are still closed etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 musicmaster

I live past bakers (abbey road end) and there was a yellowish smoke in the air all morning...can still smell it lingering abit outside...couldn't believe it when i heard...but yeah, I'd say the rochestown lodge, bakers, and the druids chair will be knockin' for the next while anyways...

The sniping about the insurance is a bit harsh, it was the new unit beside it (above the vacant lot - previously Xtra-vision\Flix) that was umm.. built at the worst possible time, not to mention the retail rent they wanted for it. The center has been stagnant\in decline for a good while.

I was only messin about the insurance but its often the first thing you think of when a pub burns down.

I was in Killiney shopping centre on Saturday buying sausages and I saw that the old Xtra Vision spot is gonna be a Pizza Hut.

What's a Madison?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Yeah loads. Have you ever been to Goatstown? They have a clothes shop for obese people and its also where Charlie Chalk had one of his pegs blown off in a botched hostage attempt.

What could be more exciting than that?!

We have shootings around here all the time, a fire is much more exciting than that! A shop for obese people sounds deadly though, we'll have to get one of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Shelly23

i'd avoid the area if possible. everything was at a stnadstill when i was there about an hour ago. rochestown road is open but gridlocked, same with the sallynoggin link road, cars are just turning around. Traffic backed up from roundabout to ballybrack village and back as far as sallynoggin roundabout when i was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LoMurphy

It's still on fire at the moment...

Oh my god, I used to love Maddison's! that brings me back!

anyone know yet if the roads are still closed etc?

It's literally on a roundabout, with a moat of parking space around it. Would it still be closed?

Directly north-west of the roundabout, stuck between Rochestown Avenue and Glenageary Lodge.

Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mr&ie=UTF8&ll=53.266791,-6.135221&spn=0.006276,0.013819&z=16

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

This fire will be talked about for years. Its a very boring area.
    What I think is very funny is that the two most active threads on this forum in the last 6 months are this one and the one about the house in Blackrock blowing up.

I guess things aren't exciting enough for South Dubliners to chat about the rest of the time!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 bins

:eek: NO NO NO my kids and nephew grew up in that pub it was like home to me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Ron DMC wrote: »
    What I think is very funny is that the two most active threads on this forum in the last 6 months are this one and the one about the house in Blackrock blowing up.

I guess things aren't exciting enough for South Dubliners to chat about the rest of the time!!

It's a quiet enough life around here alright - what I personally enjoy.
    The fact that this thread was originally posted in AH with the link still there might help keeping it busy though;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Risk management
    EAA5E513B4F4498BB9BC99E67483EC19.jpg
    Haven't drank there in years, will be worth a visit when it gets the make over.

Play the Graduate off, Keyboard Cat..

Whats a Madison?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

bins wrote: »
    :eek: NO NO NO my kids and nephew grew up in that pub it was like home to me :eek:

hhhhmmmm.... Think this fire might be a good thing for your kids!

Whats a Madison?

I think it was advertised as a mixer, but it had such an odd taste you'd drink it on its own, very tart\sour sort of almondy apple drink, served in a slightly sinister, small dark green bottle you'd expect to find in a Grimms fairy tale..

Expensive at the time and nearly impossible to get anywhere but in a Pub.

I loved it. Bought for me as a treat, every couple of weeks. Any other time I'd probably get a clatter about the ear for asking..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kitcarr

The floor staff were a great bunch in there, I really hope that each of the neighbouring pubs in the locality take on one of the people made unemployed by this. The Graduate was a popular spot and they will benefit from this trade.

My heart goes out to the really lovely chinese couple who have just opened their restaurant, surely they are going to have serious smoke damage issues. I hope and fingers crossed that they were insured.

I think it was advertised as a mixer, but it had such an odd taste you'd drink it on its own, very tart\sour sort of almondy apple drink, served in a slightly sinister, small dark green bottle you'd expect to find in a Grimms fairy tale..

Expensive at the time and nearly impossible to get anywhere but in a Pub.

I loved it. Bought for me as a treat, every couple of weeks. Any other time I'd probably get a clatter about the ear for asking..

Delicious! Sounds like that would go well with one of the many single smokes i bought from goffs newsagents back in the early 90's. Great days.

At least Eggers newsagent didn't get damaged in the Graduate inferno. All those 10p crisps would go up like a tinderbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

kitcarr wrote: »
    The floor staff were a great bunch in there, I really hope that each of the neighbouring pubs in the locality take on one of the people made unemployed by this. The Graduate was a popular spot and they will benefit from this trade.

Are you for real? The floor staff there were always the most useless bunch I have ever encountered in any pub. Was my local for 6 years, we were just to lazy to go elsewhere. The bar staff were decent though.

I would be surprised if it did not get rebuilt, the catchment area and realitive absence of alternatives in the local area made it a decent business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

isn't the graduate owned by the same guy that owns the noggin inn and the Ramblers in Ballybrack?

I would have thought the Ramblers would do ok out of this, I know several people that only drink in the Gard, the Ramblers and the Igo.

if the firemen had any cop on, they would have raided Deerings for a few of their jumbo sausages and barbecued them.:D

Just drove by it on the way home there. It's STILL on fire. It'll have to be levelled to be rebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭YraggarY

isn't the graduate owned by the same guy that owns the noggin inn and the Ramblers in Ballybrack?

I would have thought the Ramblers would do ok out of this, I know several people that only drink in the Gard, the Ramblers and the Igo.

if the firemen had any cop on, they would have raided Deerings for a few of their jumbo sausages and barbecued them.:D

No, he doesn't own The Graduate anymore, still owns the Noggin Inn though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Couple of videos on youtube courtesy of Rogchris:

EDIT - learn to embed videos people! - joe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

No he never had the Graduate, he was interested in it but it was eventually sold to the guys that have the Bleeding Horse in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

if u enter the ramblers rest there is a great chance u wont come out alive. ****ing idiots in that pub.

if u enter the ramblers rest there is a great chance u wont come out alive. ****ing idiots in that pub.

Graduate wasn't exactly The Ritz either. The rear entrance had a permanent cluster of Barney Gumble like characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

sideswipe wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the people who worked there, I'm sure their jobs arnt insured.
    No one was injoured, At least they can now get the dole and have a good sleep in every morning like the rest of the country. :p

The Graduate website is still active for those that want to see it in its former glory. :mad:

http://www.thegraduate.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Passed by last night at 6 and still smoke bellowing out. Passed by later at 9:30 and no smoke, but some very worn out looking firemen. Faif play to them.

Another vid, thanks to whataweta:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Apip99 wrote: »
    Passed by last night at 6 and still smoke bellowing out. Passed by later at 9:30 and no smoke, but some very worn out looking firemen.

Seemingly it went out earlier in the day but caught again around 6 or so and they had to start respraying it for another couple of hours

Advertisement