Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Pub on fire

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Willit have to be completly leveled? Maybe they could build a much needed underground car park in the reconstruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Defo! There's no way they could rebuild it. I took a stroll up there last night, absolutely gutted so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

if u enter the ramblers rest there is a great chance u wont come out alive. ****ing idiots in that pub.

i go in there sometimes to watch the football, but the guys i go with grew up around that area so know who to watch out for.

Apparantly it is a nightmare when there is a live band on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 misslolapants

Will they re-open it? IN in Dalkey burnt down last year...this time last year actually & they never re-opened. Are the shops ok? I missed the fire yesterday just saw it this morning, looks so sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Grad.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

DO NOT FALSELY ACCUSE ANYONE/ IMPLY THAT THIS FIRE WAS STARTED DELEBRATELY.

Not all the facts are in. next person to do it will be Banned for 2 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 The grad chik

DO NOT FALSELY ACCUSE ANYONE/ IMPLY THAT THIS FIRE WAS STARTED DELEBRATELY.

Not all the facts are in. next person to do it will be Banned for 2 months.

Im sorry I just lost my job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 The grad chik

Still think the chinesse lounge staff were very rude. Hope the victor does good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

What sort of management is in place, does the fire officer preside over the scene, the police were keen to keep everyone at bay today, does that include the owners etc?

Is it, basically, a crime scene until they establish the cause?

The car park was off limits and Gardai were present up to this evening.

Do the corporation\local county council 'condemn' the building, or is that assessed by staff in the fire service?

Just curious about procedure that might not be obvious to Joe Public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

DFB local District Officer will have to investigate the cause of the fire in his /her opinion.

I would not re-open if I were the owner especially in the current economic climate.

It mentioned in an RTE news report that the place just underwent a refurbishment.

Very unfortunate circumstances for owner/s as I found it a nice pub.

Seems a strange time for a fire to start at that time of the morning?

As a previous person said, Fire Alarm system?, Sprinkler system in place? Fire Extinguishers which may have been used by staff on premises?

It will be interesting to see what the cause of the fire was from DFB.

• Advertisement

Passed by this evening, still crawling with cops, some forensics in Garda overalls collecting evidence to what may have caused the fire, two semi marked Ford Transit connect vans also in car park. Garda crime scene tape was also placed.

They are starting to errect shuttering ply on the Rochestown avenue side which will soon block the view of the entire premises to stop Joe public souvenir hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

Still think the chinesse lounge staff were very rude. Hope the victor does good now.

HOW CAN THEY BE RUDE, AND HOW MANY CHINESE WERE EMPLOYED? I HIGHLY DOUBT ALL OF THEM ARE RUDE. THE CHINESE ARE A JOVIAL BUNCH ESPECIALLY IF THEY SPEAK GOOD ENGLISH.

*i realise i just did another generalisation*

umm i wonder what will happen with killiney shopping centre now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Still think the chinesse lounge staff were very rude.
    There are a few points worth considering in this. The Chinese language sounds abrubt to us, and that staccato style can be carried over to their English, similarly East European people can sound like they're angry (Homer and "kolkalosh!").

If you look different in this country the fact is at times you will be the subject of snide comments, be it fat, thin, tall, short, red haired, wearing glasses, or foreign featured, it's not necessarily racism which is a subset of differencism. While the initial failing is on the part of the bully, the recipeint of that treatment can become insular, defensive, and resentful.

The Chinese education on history gives a view of a great nation of people badly treated by Mao et al and by the rest of the world, unappreciated and looked down upon. It suits the communist party to keep this "us against the world" script in play, the same nationalist script used by autocrats throughout history to keep their grip on power.

So while the Chinese staff in the Graduate may have come accross as rude and every culture has it's rude people, it may not be as bad as you think, and considering where they may be coming from as outlined above, a degree of lattitude may be fitting.

With people losing their jobs (genuinely sorry to hear you lost this one) in this recession I've noted a rise in resentment toward anyone foreign looking whether they're here for generations or recently arrived. They're just doing what the Irish had to do, working hard to try and make their way in life.

The architects of hardship are not ordinary people but the ruling classes who twist globalisation to suit their insatiable quest for wealth and power, with the wants of the few prioritised over the needs of the many. I think if anyone deserves a fist of fury it's the golden circle, but ordinary workers and entrepreneurs deserve a hand of friendship be it in the Graduate or anywhere else. Half of the economy is going up in flames, Ireland of the thousand welcomes shouldn't perish with it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

can we stay somewhat on topic please...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 misslolapants

I heard it'll be 2 years before they open again but that they will be re-opening. Yaaaay! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

democrates wrote: »
    There are a few points worth considering in this. The Chine.... ...with it.

There aren't really, they were pretty useless, rude and did their best to look at the florr while walking around.

That said none of the other nationalities were much better. It is was the hardest pub I know of to actuallly manageg to get lounge service in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

There aren't really, they were pretty useless, rude and did their best to look at the florr while walking around.

That said none of the other nationalities were much better. It is was the hardest pub I know of to actuallly manageg to get lounge service in!

I was in the Graduate for drinks and food a couple of weeks back for the first time in years. I found the service to be friendly and attentive, and it was decent value too.

I was in the Graduate for drinks and food a couple of weeks back for the first time in years. I found the service to be friendly and attentive, and it was decent value too.

The difference when you want food ;)

I heard it'll be 2 years before they open again but that they will be re-opening. Yaaaay! :)
    I think it would be a great idea if they put a McDonald's there instead of another pub, it would be a far more lucrative business and it could be up and running in just six months. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I think it would be a great idea if they put a McDonald's there instead of another pub, it would be a far more lucrative business and it could be up and running in just six months. :)

Smart arse.. :pac: but isn't that happening anyway? What Pizza chain is moving in directly next door? Pizza Hut or Domino's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Pizza Hut! I only saw that when I went up for a gander the other night! Couldn't be happier! Best pizza out there!

Pass.

The walk to the next nearest pub is far to far. Definitly needs to be a pub put back there, Graduate or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Gotta say, I thought that most of the staff there were sound. I'd be there pretty often and in general they were bang on, in particular the tall chap John, really hope he gets another job soon, though he's well known for being a gent so should be ok.
    Some of them were a bit abrupt, but then they're dealing with piss heads most of the time. And whatever they were like, the young blonde lounge girl made up for it all. Fantastic.
    Hope they build it back up. As for being started deliberately, I have to laugh at the accusations. When I was outside on Monday, about an hour after it started, the amount of " insurance scam " comments made me laugh. I mean, it started in the kitchen ffs, it wasn't like an arson attack. Madness.

general they were bang on, in particular the tall chap John, really hope he gets another job soon, though he's well known for being a gent so should be ok.

Yeah he was decent alright
    And whatever they were like, the young blonde lounge girl made up for it all. Fantastic.

+1 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

i'm gutted it looks like i'm going to have to start cooking my own sunday roasts :( i loved their corned beef yum yum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Ah....didn't know The Graduate was gone :eek:.

Way back in the mists of time (aka the 1970s) we used to meet there in the week before Christmas before going carol singing in the surrounding area; Avondale Road, Rochestown Avenue, Woodlands estate.

All in a good cause; as they say 'charity begins at home'.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Quicker than that! its open tomorrow

Burnt down on 15 june 09

Dunno if it was mentioned elsewhere

http://www.thegraduate.ie/
    Re-open date is Tuesday March 30th at 6:00pm
    We are looking forward to welcoming all our customers & friends to help us celebrate.

I am not certain if it is going to open, seemed quite active the last few weeks, lights on at night etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Looks very well. Was in last Sunday for food. Food was nice but service was absolutly shocking. Really slow and the staff were very rude. Had to walk up to desk to order as we were waiting 15 minutes.
    Food arived but was waiting for pepper sauce. Had to ask three times for it when the woman finnaly brought it out she just put it on the table without saying anything. The service would put me off going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

In fairness there is a load of brand new staff up there and I think they're still getting to grips with things including supervisors etc. Give them a month or two I say and then we can judge things fairly.

• Advertisement

doncarlos wrote: »
    Food was nice but service was absolutly shocking. Really slow and the staff were very rude. Had to walk up to desk to order as we were waiting 15 minutes.

no change there then, I've been up there a few times since and service is as bad as ever.

the décor is woeful too.

still, cheaper pints than anywhere else local

Advertisement