Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest Wikipedia Page Ever - Hiberno-English

• 15-06-2009 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

I don't even know where to start, so many quotable lines and an entire section to describe getting hammered ("full as a gypsy's tit), a few highlights:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno-English

"Geebag - Disreputable person, akin to bastard. "She's a total geebag." Less offensive than using gee (hard G sound) as a standalone word where gee would refer to female genitalia and would if spoken vociferously , mean "****". "

"Shift - to kiss, generally with tongues. Used mainly by youths. "Did ya shift her?" "

"Would youse ever get yezzer shoes on?"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

I brought some cash in case I saw a bargain, and my credit card 'to be sure to be sure'.

In old Dubliner slang, "to feck' is also slang for "to steal", as in the phrase, "We went to the orchard and fecked some apples." It can also mean, "to throw", especially if something is being thrown where it should not, as in "We fecked his schoolbag into the river."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

There are many terms for having consumed a drop too much drink, many are used elsewhere, but the Irish tendency is to attempt to find the most descriptive adjective yet on each occasion.

Some examples: "loaded", "blocked", "twisted", "full" (common in Ulster), "as full as a Gypsy's tit", "spannered", "Spangled", "scuttered", "menashed", "stocious/stotious", "bananas", "baloobas" (common in Cavan), "locked", "langered", "mouldy" (pron. mowldy as in "fowl"; used in Galway esp.), "polluted", "flootered", "plastered", "bolloxed", "banjaxed", "well out of it", "wankered", "****ed", "****ered","paraplegic" (common in Kilkenny), "ossified", "binned", "rat-arsed”, "gee-eyed", "demented" "flahed drunk" "langers altogether" "in **** drunk" (common in Cork), "buckled", "steaming"( common in Donegal), "messy", "rotten", "out of me tree" (common in Limerick) "off me head altogether", "off my face", "sloppy", "cabbaged", "wasted", "paralytic/palatic", "full as a boot", "full up", "full as the bingo bus" (common in Louth), "legless", "hammered", "circling over Shannon", "blootered", "squooshed", "banjoed", "mullered", "bingoed", "mangled", "ruined", "landed", "cant even see my hand in front of my face" "half-tore","lubed" (Common in Ballincollig), "oiled", "jarred" (not too drunk, "I'm not drunk, I'm just a bit jarred!"), "scorched", "in the horrors", (common in Waterford), "in the rats", "in the livin' rats", "in the livin' ****in' rats" (common in Dungarvan, Co. Waterford), "stoned" (Louth/South Monaghan only), "I'm off my tits", "binned", "pissed", "cut and half cut", "flamin'" (common in Kerry), "sozzled", "blottoed", "trolleyed", "sloshed", "wrecked", "rancid", "goosed", "off my game", "off my trolley", "gimped", "destroyed", "wrote", "wrote off", "guitaroed" '"I wasn't banjoed I was guitaroed"', "steamed" (common in Mayo), "off my chops" (common in Clonakilty), "sauced" (Fermanagh) "transmoglified", "I was off me shoe"/ "I fell off my shoe", "smashed". (Phrases in italics are more "colourful")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Shame they removed most of the Skanger article.

That used to be so funny, with pictures and everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭SoulReaperDan1

I think it should be mandatory that every tourist coming to Ireland should read this page, just so they know what the hell is going on!!

"Jaysus but she's an awful looking yoke altogether!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skanger

This page has changed a bit, but it's still great... especially the mention of Colin Farrell

• Advertisement
Advertisement