Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worth buying a LR Freelander 1.8 (2000) for €2200?

• 15-06-2009 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

A friend of my cousin is selling a Landrover Freelander 1.8 (2000) and I was considering buying it? He is selling it for €2200 and when I did a check on cbg.ie the cheapest similar model Landrover was going for €3999.

I have only seen photos of the Landrover so far and visually it looks lovely (light grey colour). I am planning to go and have a look at it next Sat and was wondering if it is worth my while? How reliable is this model. Is it economical with Petrol? I would only be using it during the week to travel approx 10 miles from home to work and then every Sat I would need it to drive from Cavan to Dublin.

I dont need to buy this particular car as I already have a very reliable Fiat Punto but myself and my partner will be moving to a house out in the sticks soon and as we both work diferent hours we will need a car each to get to work.

Id appreciate any advice on this particular LandRover.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Don’t touch it with a barge pole, there is a reason why dealers cant get rid of them , they prink petrol ,and a 1.8 sounds like it is the underpowered version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

My better half has the 1.8 petrol. She gets about 26-28mpg (urban) out of it. Hers is a 1999, and we haven't been plagued by probems like a lot of people here promise you will be with one.

They will go offroad fine (full time 4wd), but they aren't the worlds greatest towing car. The thing to watch is the water level; check it every time you put petrol into it. If the level starts to drop, get it to your mechanic (happened to us, ended up being a leaky water bottle!).

If you know a mechanic with land rover experience, then get them to check it out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

gazzer wrote: »
    A friend of my cousin is selling a Landrover Freelander 1.8 (2000) and I was considering buying it? He is selling it for €2200 and when I did a check on cbg.ie the cheapest similar model Landrover was going for €3999.

I have only seen photos of the Landrover so far and visually it looks lovely (light grey colour). I am planning to go and have a look at it next Sat and was wondering if it is worth my while? How reliable is this model. Is it economical with Petrol? I would only be using it during the week to travel approx 10 miles from home to work and then every Sat I would need it to drive from Cavan to Dublin.

I dont need to buy this particular car as I already have a very reliable Fiat Punto but myself and my partner will be moving to a house out in the sticks soon and as we both work diferent hours we will need a car each to get to work.

Id appreciate any advice on this particular LandRover.

Thanks

If you're looking for a reliable car look elsewhere. It might run fine for you but there is a reason there are so many unsold and reliability reviews are one of the worst on the road. For 2k you should look at a Corolla or Almera. Simple and rarely go wrong. Economical enough too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Head gaskets!

It's cheap for a reason most likely, perhaps several reasons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Cant believe it took five posts for someone to mention Head Gaskets :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Ran one as a company car and I really liked it, no problems at all with the one I had and it had done the rounds. I had the head gasket go on my 00 accord, its hit and miss with most cars I think. Just get it checked out by a very good mech.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 eddie12

I've been offered a 2005 TD4 2litre diesel for €5100 by a relative of mine who owns a garage.
    I've heard they are better than the petrol ones but is it still a stupid thing to do?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

TD4's are the best engines. BMW based lumps iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

I know two guys and both of them had the head gaskets blown on them. 1 of them actuly bought his in merlin 2days later gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Its the same K series engine that is in the Rover and MG cars that everyone in the motor trade know and love.

Dont think I have ever seen a problem with the diesel but I would certainly steer well clear of the petrol ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Thanks everybody for the replies. Think I will pass on the jeep so.

Advertisement