Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are SimFree phones just as good?

• 15-06-2009 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Sorry to ask a stupid question, I'm getting a new phone, just they seem a lot cheaper I was just wondering is it just as easy to top up with a SimFree phone & are they a good idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

the nice thing about simfree is your free to use any network sim on your phone and hopefully unbranded you can top up just like any other phone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

simfree phones are not cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

Some places they are than what you'd get in a Vodafone/Meteor shop. Are they as good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Glacier wrote: »
    Some places they are than what you'd get in a Vodafone/Meteor shop. Are they as good?

Short answer YES.

They are better then phones gotten from networks in many cases, as the networks tend to take features out of the firmware on a lot of phones that they don't want people to have.

Sim free phones have everything the manufacture intended the phone to have And can be used on any network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

And are they cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

And are they cheaper?

No.

When a network (O2, vodafone etc) sell a phone, they subsidise the price of the phone, which is how they can get away with locking it to their network. they also (sometimes) brand it and use customised firmware with might removed features like voip.

A SimFree phone is not lock or subsidised to/by any network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Sorry to ask a stupid question, I'm getting a new phone, just they seem a lot cheaper I was just wondering is it just as easy to top up with a SimFree phone & are they a good idea?

Where have you seen them cheaper,, a particular model you looking for?

They are better software wise, they have not been ruined by the network. Have the option to change networks without need to pay for it to be unlocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

is it just as easy to top up with a SimFree phone & are they a good idea?

Your SIM / network determines your topup method - not your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

OP, was just thinking that nokias latest phone would suit exactly what you want.

Has touchscreen and wifi and would be your price range when it arrives, the catch is that you will have to wait 2 months or so. Have a look at this thread to see more about it: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60711824

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Henne220

Sim free phones are without a doubt better and not cheaper. If you have the option of buying sim free instead of a network locked/branded phone then go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

just as good?

more like.. infinitely better

for the past 8 years or so I only buy sim free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Had my sim free d900 for years. Not a single problem. Im only gonna by a network one when the price is much cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I must be the only person in the country to never have had any trouble unlocking a phone after i got it (from the network) and for the most part never had any branding on a network phone. never had to send one away to be fixed/replaced, and i've had a few phones by now.

just lucky i guess..maybe never being on 3 or meteor has helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Vodafone have some of the worst firwares going. Debranding is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Vodafone have some of the worst firwares going. Debranding is the way to go.

I agree. Generally Vodafone handsets are riddled with Vodafone branding inside and out and the Vodafone exclusive handsets over the years, e.g. Sharp GX30, Nokia 6234 etc, have been the worst.

I also find that Orange handsets are just as bad. O2, on the other hand, are the best having the least internal and external branding and removal of software and/or features.

Advertisement