Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the cheapest Rifle Range in the Land? How does the UK compare?

Options
  • 15-06-2009 12:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

As Titled,

I'm looking for value for money!!

Anyone know of such value in Ireland also how do British clubs stack up in terms of prices

Regards Ivan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Midlands, once you get the initial fee (€550 ish) out of the way the annual renewal (€285, this year) is very reasonable for what you get.

Don't know anything about overseas ranges :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

Courtlough is €230 a year and membership runs from January to December. You also need insurance at €45 a year.

But if you are looking for value you would have to look at a few things like.

What type of shooting you do Pistol, Centre Fire Rifle, Rim Fire Rifle, Air Rifle, Air Pistol or Clay shooting. No point in joining a clay club if you have a 308 centre fire rifle.

What are the club open times, are they a weekend only club do they have late night openings.

How far the club is from were you live a club that’s close to were you live will be used more them a club that is the other end of the country so over the year you will get more value out of the closer club.

You would also have to look at what kind of costs there will be every time you show up to shoot. Cost of targets, clays and ammo.

Do the club provide any services like instructors, food drinks if so, are they any good and what do they cost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Well for my own use I'd rather prefer to be near south county Dublin.
    Even Courthlough is a bridge to far! with barrier tolling and some thirty odd miles one way, especially considering that 22lr subs are only allowed.

As far as food and drinks go, these are of no interested to me. The most I'd want is somewhere to park and a toilet to use and a chair to sit on!

The Mid-lands sounds like a great range but its just to far to get any value for money in return, when you factor in my trip from Dublin.

Regards Ivan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Trinity have a little 22 and air rifle range which is dirt cheap but probably only open to students. If you are an alumnus maybe its possible? Also you could maybe slip the club captain a crate and happy days membership card - don't quote me on this though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Most clubs are roughly the same price that I can tell (some don't publish their rates): usually around €300 to join and a sub of around €200 a year plus insurance.

After that it's what you are looking to do and the distance you have to travel that will dictate what club you'll join.

For example if you want to shoot long range rifle, you're probably looking at Midlands. etc.

• Advertisement

Well for my own use I'd rather prefer to be near south county Dublin.

If it is South County Dublin area then you should go and have a look at Hill Top. http://www.pcquad.com/index.htm

I know what your saying about the only subs in Courthlough. I don't mind only shooting subs but would like to pick the brand I am going to shoot. The last time I was there they only let you use the Remington .22 Subs 38 bullet weight. My rifle did not like them much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Does Courtlough have a joining fee?

If it is South County Dublin area then you should go and have a look at Hill Top. http://www.pcquad.com/index.htm

I know what your saying about the only subs in Courthlough. I don't mind only shooting subs but would like to pick the brand I am going to shoot. The last time I was there they only let you use the Remington .22 Subs 38 bullet weight. My rifle did not like them much.

Hilltop is a commercial club like Courtlough and even though you pay a joining fee and annual sub, you still have to pay 'green fees' every time you turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

rrpc wrote: »
    Hilltop is a commercial club like Courtlough and even though you pay a joining fee and annual sub, you still have to pay 'green fees' every time you turn up.

True, but this is reflected in the fact that the annual membership fee is substantially less than other clubs:cool:

Rosahane wrote: »
    True, but this is reflected in the fact that the annual membership fee is substantially less than other clubs:cool:

As a matter of interest what is the annual sub?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

best bang for the euro, must be a recession on or what. insurance :p

http://www.sigmarpc.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 JunkieW

rrpc wrote: »
    As a matter of interest what is the annual sub?

+1

I'd like to know as well. Sounds like a great club.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Does Courtlough have a joining fee?

Unless it was added this year there is no joining fee.

PJ Hunter wrote: »
    best bang for the euro, must be a recession on or what. insurance :p

http://www.sigmarpc.co.uk/

That would be nice just pay membership, Buy ammo and show up a shoot for the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Clash

Rosahane wrote: »

It would want to be for nothing because if you turned up once a week and paid as little as a fiver each time, that would be more than most clubs charge for a full year.

I doubt it's as little as a fiver though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

loads of clubs around north wicklow , east coast sporting club , east coast shooting club , hilltop etc , most of the clubs abandoned dublin when the building boom made land too valuable just for shooting on. depends what you want type of shooting you want to do ,

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭syconerd

hi contact BRC at 0864047455 ask for john.
    there in Tallaght cant get much more south dublin than that
    250 pr year

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭emollett

enda1 wrote: »
    Trinity have a little 22 and air rifle range which is dirt cheap but probably only open to students. If you are an alumnus maybe its possible? Also you could maybe slip the club captain a crate and happy days membership card - don't quote me on this though!

4€ for the year! very dirt cheap. And we provide all the eqiptment too. However, you are right, students staff and alumnus only, and the alumnus also have to pay a membership fee to ducac which i think is about 200-300€?

In the uk i joined a club for the year for £50, and payed 75p range hire each time i went to shoot, but that was the student rate, i think adult was twice that? Still very good value, and the range was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭syconerd

I do not say we are cheap but we have one of the best ranges in Dublin city

fully authorised range.

come up and have a go any sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

syconerd wrote: »
    hi contact BRC at 0864047455 ask for john.
    there in Tallaght cant get much more south dublin than that
    250 pr year
    I rang and its €1000 euro to join. payable over 2 years. and then its 250 per year on top of that.

I going to have a look but i dont think i'll be pending that sort of cash there..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I rang and its €1000 euro to join. payable over 2 years. and then its 250 per year on top of that.

I going to have a look but i dont think i'll be pending that sort of cash there..

:eek: Gosh

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭tireur

I know things are a bit tight here but isn't this thread a bit of a joke? Why do we feel the need to persuade Ivan to spend money? Either he is interested in his sport or he is not so perhaps he can go back to the original question and see if it cheaper to emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

tireur wrote: »
    I know things are a bit tight here but isn't this thread a bit of a joke? Why do we feel the need to persuade Ivan to spend money? Either he is interested in his sport or he is not so perhaps he can go back to the original question and see if it cheaper to emigrate.
    I'd agree with you ... if Ivan was the only person to ever read this thread.
    However, in this case, I think there'll be a lot silently reading (and getting information that clubs should be putting out there anyway), so the thread serves a useful purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

also how do British clubs stack up in terms of prices
    On that point, I think you'd find the market sizes are different. Clubs in the UK seem to be generally a lot busier than over here and more established, and that means that 75p for range hire will keep the place running and maintained.
    When all you have is twenty people who don't shoot every night of the week, you have to split the same size bill into fewer, larger pieces.

Advertisement