Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

That's "Irish" alright

• 15-06-2009 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone happen to see Traffic Blues last night on RTE1?

A coulpe of strange incidents and ones of real concern I thought.
    A garda stops a car on a motorway or dual carriageway and in it is a woman
    with 5 young children in the back, none were strapped in at all. She
    was on a provisional and had no accompanying driver. The garda didn't even check her insurance; but the best was the lecture he gave her and how it's
    so not safe to do what she was doing, and then he lets her drive off, after she wails about on the ground.

Another incident was a big coach carrying schoolchildren. The cop pulls it over and notices one of the tyres is in a bad condition and is badly worn. What does this mug do? He lectures the driver on how a child could scratch his/her hand off it:rolleyes:. He then allows the driver to continue on?

Why the hell would this be allowed when both incidents were serious and were an obvious danger and accident waiting to happen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Soulja boy

walshb wrote: »

was on a provisional and had no accompanying driver. The garda didn't even check her insurance; but the best was the lecture he gave her and how it's
    so not safe to do what she was doing, and then he lets her drive off, after she wails about on the ground.

Another incident was a big coach carrying schoolchildren. The cop pulls it over and notices one of the tyres is in a bad condition and is badly worn. What does this mug do? He lectures the driver on how a child could scratch his/her hand off it:rolleyes:. He then allows the driver to continue on?

Why the hell would this be allowed when both incidents were serious and were an obvious danger and accident waiting to happen?

Just shows the quality of police who get stuck with traffic duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭polishpaddy

Would it happen in england do you think? I seen it too and was laughing my head off haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

She got to drive off because she got out of the car and went on her knees to beg for forgiveness from him. We should all take a leaf from her book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

WindSock wrote: »
    She got to drive off because she got out of the car and went on her knees to beg for forgiveness from him. We should all take a leaf from her book.

She got to drive off because the Gardai had no powers to take the vehicle off of her. Unless its a revenue/money offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Would it happen in england do you think? I seen it too and was laughing my head off haha.

Paddy, I have seen many similar shows in England and I have seen them impound dangerous cars and trucks and vans and people and NEVER allowing them to continue on

• Advertisement

She got to drive off because the Gardai had no powers to take the vehicle off of her. Unless its a revenue/money offence.

Surely they have powers if the situation is a danger to her and her kids and other road users. This was clearly the case, as the cop was lecturing us on how dangerous it was. Was he simply playing to the cameras?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

They should have taken the car and arrested her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chewing gum? There are bigger fish to fry. I love the portentious narration of these programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭polishpaddy

Paddy, I have seen many similar shows in England and I have seen them impound dangerous cars and trucks and vans and people and NEVER allowing them to continue on
    I have too. I think the prick was so delighted to be on camera he forgot what his job was.
    I think there is still a small bit of ireland left in this country.But when it comes to things like this, it's obviously retarded of the guard....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I saw this too. Shouldn't the main priority in this case not have been the children's safety? i.e. keep the car there until the woman can organise for a family member/friend to collect the kids, with the proper child seats needed.

It is so dangerous to have:

1. Five kids where there should only be 3 people
    2. All the kids not wearing seatbelts / in child seats

He basically said "don't do it again" and let her on her way. What if she was involved in a crash 100m down the road after the Gardaí let her off....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

It's like Road Wars, except they dont bother to arrest anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Until they start tasering grannies on it I ain't watching.

Surely they have powers if the situation is a danger to her and her kids and other road users. This was clearly the case, as the cop was lecturing us on how dangerous it was. Was he simply playing to the cameras?

she can be given the 80euro fine and two penalty points for the seatbelts. She can be given the fine and penalty points for driving unaccompanied. But he cannot take the car off of her or stop her from driving away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Same here & proper order too - if your car is not road worthy or if you are taking the piss they will take it off you on the spot whether there is a sobbing woman on the ground or not.

What if she was involved in a crash 100m down the road after the Gardaí let her off....?

Is the answer a lawsuit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

This is being discussed oin liveline now for those that are bothered...

Wow, Liveline must be the AH for the computer-less people out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Joe Duffy is playing his usual common gobbeen "ah they aren't so bad unlike those nasty UK traffic police types" angle. Maybe his has an outstanding fine to pay.

I heard it on Joe Duffy and I hear some saying, "It's great to see the gradai are showing
    discretion.":rolleyes:

Hey, I am all for discretion under certain situations, but blatant dangerous situations
    like what was shown the other night should have a ZERO tolerance.

I really think the gradai on this show are just playing to the cameras instead of actually
    enforcing the law.

That school coach incident was appalling. The freaking tyre was in bits and the dopey
    copper allows the man to continue on with his journey with a coach full of children:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Watch it next week, i hear that there is some incident with a girl and a mobile phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Jesus christ... ^^^^ye actually listen to joe duffy???? I thought this was AH not the geriatric forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

WindSock wrote: »
    She got to drive off because she got out of the car and went on her knees from him. We should all take a leaf from her book.
    FYP?:pac:

But Gardai loooove lectures.If you just stand there and listen and maybe give a little bit of cheek they'll lecture you all night then let you off!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

togster wrote: »
    Watch it next week, i hear that there is some incident with a girl and a mobile phone.
    In Ballymun?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Very Irish indeed.

You could also imagine that the story would be different if this dozy cooze wrapped the car around a lamp post and killed them all. Every paper would have something along the lines of 'Tragic mum in tot death smash horror', rather than 'stupid bitch reaps what she sows'.

That's another 'Irish' thing, excusing peoples stupidity once someone dies as a result of their actions. It becomes 'tragic' somehow instead of just being a thinning of the herd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

They need to put Jerry Lynch in it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

That's another 'Irish' thing, excusing peoples stupidity once someone dies as a result of their actions. It becomes 'tragic' somehow instead of just being a thinning of the herd.

Katy French??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Whats the point in having all these ad campaigns and warnings and Gay Byrne flaping about safety when we let a BUS full of children drive on - in bad condition, after the tragedy not three years ago in similar circumstances.

Too many people die on our roads, **** them if they beg and plead - get tghem off the road for a bit until they learn their lesson. And go to town on mobile phone users when they're driving - it's so dangerous.

Very Irish indeed.

You could also imagine that the story would be different if this dozy cooze wrapped the car around a lamp post and killed them all. Every paper would have something along the lines of 'Tragic mum in tot death smash horror', rather than 'stupid bitch reaps what she sows'.

That's another 'Irish' thing, excusing people stupidity once someone dies as a result of their actions. It becomes 'tragic' somehow instead of just being a thinning of the herd.
    Forget her killing herself, it's the children and OTHER motorists that I will feel
    sorry for. No insurance check on the car. He didn't even ask if she had insurance and even if there was a sticker on the car, that doesn't mean that she is the person insured.

It was so lackadaisacal and unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

I brought a car into Ireland from Sweden a couple of years ago, immediately got Irish Plates, Irish Insurance and paid the Irish Motor tax, why are so many foreign registered cars tolerated on Irish roads, when you look at the plates it is obvious that they are residents here in the republic, all don’t have motor tax and IF they are insured the insurance is not as comprehensive as Irish policy holders, I can’t understand why it is accepted, yet Irish drivers without any of the above will be penalised.

• Advertisement

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    Whats the point in having all these ad campaigns and warnings and Gay Byrne flaping about safety when we let a BUS full of children drive on - in bad condition, after the tragedy not three years ago in similar circumstances.

Too many people die on our roads, **** them if they beg and plead - get tghem off the road for a bit until they learn their lesson. And go to town on mobile phone users when they're driving - it's so dangerous.

Hey, did you hear that stupid cops reasoning about the tyre?

He said that the threads and metal protruding from the tyre
    could cause someone to scratch their arm? I mean, this is carry on stuff.

Don't be worried that the freaking tyre will explode while the bus
    is travelling at 60 or 70 km per hours and that dozens of people
    may die, it's the scratches a person could get that are the main issue:rolleyes:

SWL wrote: »
    I brought a car into Ireland from Sweden a couple of years ago, immediately got Irish Plates, Irish Insurance and paid the Irish Motor tax, why are so many foreign registered cars tolerated on Irish roads, when you look at the plates it is obvious that they are residents here in the republic, all don’t have motor tax and IF they are insured the insurance is not as comprehensive as Irish policy holders, I can’t understand why it is accepted, yet Irish drivers without any of the above will be penalised.

Welcome to Ireland mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

togster wrote: »
    Terry wrote: »
    In Ballymun?

"Don't be tapin' me!"

I heard it on Joe Duffy and I hear some saying, "It's great to see the gradai are showing
    discretion.":rolleyes:

Hey, I am all for discretion under certain situations, but blatant dangerous situations
    like what was shown the other night should have a ZERO tolerance.

I really think the gradai on this show are just playing to the cameras instead of actually
    enforcing the law.

That school coach incident was appalling. The freaking tyre was in bits and the dopey
    copper allows the man to continue on with his journey with a coach full of children:(

Once again, please point me to the legislation in which they are allowed to detain either the person or the car for the crimes committed. There is none.

Once again, please point me to the legislation in which they are allowed to detain either the person or the car for the crimes committed. There is none.

Hey, if there is none, including when there is an obvious danger, then this needs changing.

That is why I posted the thread. If there is no legislation allowing gardai to impound a car
    that is a definite threat to safety, then this needs addressing.

I ask, aren't gardai allowed to STOP a drink driver from continuing on
    with his/her journey?

So, why, if a car/coach/lorry etc is an obvious threat to society and why if a person
    is breaking the law on the way they allow passengers to be taken
    in their car, are they allowed continue on?

I never said the gardai ONLY had to take the car off the person. But why allow the person to continue driving?

So, maybe the garda wasn't allowed impound the woman's car
    or impound the coach, but surely they could insist on
    the tyre being changed on that coach, the children taken off it?

Or, in the case of the woman with the 5 children not properly or
    LEGALLY strapped in, he could have insisted on the proper
    seats and could have not allowed the car travel until this
    was addressed. See, this doesn't even mean having to impound

Even then there is nothing there which allows them to do it. Keeping them there without arrest is detaining them. Forcing them to do something outside of the law is against our rights.

I'm not saying its a good or clever thing, I'm just pointing this out so people can see that in reality the cop really did all he could to try make her understand what she was doing was wrong.

• Advertisement

See, this doesn't even mean having to impound

Why the fcuk not ? Seriously why should society focus on being uber fair on this issue ? Lets just for once have an area where we swing the balance in the other more sensible direction. If you are a danger to yourself or others (ie your 5 unstrapped-in kids floating around the inside of your vehicle) then you should be put off the road. I would be in the 'confiscate car' and 'ban from driving for 1 year' and re-sit your driving test camp on this. Waaaay too lenient - this is the reason why people take the piss in the first place - there are no consequences.

Even then there is nothing there which allows them to do it. Keeping them there without arrest is detaining them. Forcing them to do something outside of the law is against our rights.

I'm not saying its a good or clever thing, I'm just pointing this out so people can see that in reality the cop really did all he could to try make her understand what she was doing was wrong.

Hey, if this is the facts, then this country is a freaking sham.

Okay, surely could he have not enforced the provisional drivers rule and
    stopped her proceeding this way? Anything?

Does a garda not have some sort of clause whereby if he/she really
    believes that the situation is a danger to motorists, which it
    clearly was, then they can STOP the person proceeding?

These two incidents were clear cases of persons
    driving with an obvious and serious hazard present

Same with the coach? You know, I am all for safety and all
    we have been hearing for years now is road deaths and safety and awareness etc etc and this sort of crap is allowed happen. It's a national disgrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

But the garda said he would take the coach away with him if he caught him again. There is obviously some law there that allows him to take it when he could say this. Please explain?
    Surely the woman with the kids should have been brought to court. Cuddlesworth who I presume is a garda is making the law sound very silly indeed. Care to share any of the other instances where "there is nothing they can do".
    Can someone get caught speeding and be told "I will look out for ya next week. If its not right then, I will give ya a ticket" cause thats what he did with the bus and the woman with kids.
    Also on a previous show, he lets a foreigner on a bike drive away with lapsed insurance cover and also after telling the garda a load of lies about how long he was in the country and that he was only on hols.
    Joke, the whole thing. I wouldnt be a fan of all things english but at least the cops seem to have some power over there and are not afraid to use it.

Precisely. I have a cop friend and she says that this kind of thing gets let off because the Gardas hands are tied more than you'd ever believe it.

Add to that the fact that if this incident came before a judge it'd be thrown out straight away because the majority of judges hate the cops for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭CAPSLOCK365

I think the OP is lying.
    A gard never stopped a car in the history of the state. They haven't the time. They're far too busy stopping vehickles, whatever they may be.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    But the garda said he would take the coach away with him if he caught him again. There is obviously some law there that allows him to take it when he could say this. Please explain?
    Surely the woman with the kids should have been brought to court. Cuddlesworth who I presume is a garda is making the law sound very silly indeed. Care to share any of the other instances where "there is nothing they can do".
    Can someone get caught speeding and be told "I will look out for ya next week. If its not right then, I will give ya a ticket" cause thats what he did with the bus and the woman with kids.
    Also on a previous show, he lets a foreigner on a bike drive away with lapsed insurance cover and also after telling the garda a load of lies about how long he was in the country and that he was only on hols.
    Joke, the whole thing. I wouldnt be a fan of all things english but at least the cops seem to have some power over there and are not afraid to use it.

Exactly. If the copper says he will take the coach next week, why can't he take it anytime.

The ridiculous thing is that next week could have been the funerals of many people on that death trap.

This crap excuse that the cops hands are tied doesn't excuse or cut it.
    That cop who stopped the woman did not even ask
    to see her insurance. What has hands and tied got to do with this.

Why do we accept low standards here. It pisses me off!

Regarding insurance, cops do have the power to impound a motorists car that is not insured and any person
    without insurance should NEVER be allowed continue with
    their journey. It's a disgrace that they are allowed continue and some poor
    unfortunate gets smacked and crippled and with no come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Sure it'll be grand... ;):D:D:D :mad::mad::mad: :confused::confused::confused:

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Sure it'll be grand... ;):D:D:D :mad::mad::mad: :confused::confused::confused:

Ireland summed up in one phrase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Honey-ec wrote: »
    "Don't be tapin' me!"

Hahahhaah pmsl here, haven't seen that little gem in a while.Class act eh?

Did you happen to see the other one in Ballymun where this teenage lad runs up and drop-kicks some girl straight into her face and she goes on her ear?
    Fookin animals I tells ye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I hear the series will end with a cliffhanger, in which the driver isn't actually the owner of the vee-hick-le.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Hey, if there is none, including when there is an obvious danger, then this needs changing.

Then stop taking the mick out of Gardaí. As Cuddlesworth has pointed out there are actually only a few 'crimes' for want of a better word which represent arrestable offences. Neither can an officer detain someone at the roadside.
    I ask, aren't gardai allowed to STOP a drink driver from continuing on
    with his/her journey?

Yes. Because it is an arrestable offence.
    So, why, if a car/coach/lorry etc is an obvious threat to society and why if a person
    is breaking the law on the way they allow passengers to be taken
    in their car, are they allowed continue on?

Because it is not an arrestable offence.:confused:. Can you imagine the outcry there'd be if someone was arrested or had their car impounded for not having a seat belt on?
    I never said the gardai ONLY had to take the car off the person. But why allow the person to continue driving?

As opposed to doing what? Getting one of the kids to drive it? :confused:
    So, maybe the garda wasn't allowed impound the woman's car
    or impound the coach, but surely they could insist on
    the tyre being changed on that coach, the children taken off it?

And how do you suggest that happens? Do you mean detain the coach on the roadside until a tyre is brought to it? FAIL. He doesn't have the authority to do that. What would he do with the kids - put them all into the back of a squad car?
    Or, in the case of the woman with the 5 children not properly or
    LEGALLY strapped in, he could have insisted on the proper
    seats and could have not allowed the car travel until this
    was addressed. See, this doesn't even mean having to impound

In a non-arrestable offence under the RTA the gardaí have no authority to detain anybody unduly and against their will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

What is much more "Irish" is a load of armchair-general types who think they know the laws and extent of authority of the Gardaí on the road better than a RTC Garda himself. Typically Irish.

And the fact that you start a thread ridiculing the authorities and not the idiots they are pulling over, because it's also typically Irish to be a danger on the road.

prinz wrote: »
    Then stop taking the mick out of Gardaí. As Cuddlesworth has pointed out there are actually only a few 'crimes' for want of a better word which represent arrestable offences. Neither can an officer detain someone at the roadside.

Yes. Because it is an arrestable offence.

Because it is not an arrestable offence.:confused:. Can you imagine the outcry there'd be if someone was arrested or had their car impounded for not having a seat belt on?

As opposed to doing what? Getting one of the kids to drive it? :confused:

And how do you suggest that happens? Do you mean detain the coach on the roadside until a tyre is brought to it? FAIL. He doesn't have the authority to do that. What would he do with the kids - put them all into the back of a squad car?

In a non-arrestable offence under the RTA the gardaí have no authority to detain anybody unduly and against their will.

How many times can one get the word "arrestable" into a post.

Okay, we have established that they aren't 'arrestable' offences. So, now I think
    it's time to lobby to make them so.

So, in England a coach that is an obvious threat to life is NOT allowed continue
    with its journey. So, do you believe the best solution is to ALLOW the ****ing
    coach driver to have children on his coach when a tyre is liable
    to blow because it is worn to the threads? Holy sh!t, no wonder this
    country is so bloody behind and backward at times.

So, changing the tyre is NOT an option in your opinion?

Better to let the driver drive off and take a major risk?:rolleyes:
    So, that coach crashes causing carnage and it's found that the
    baldy tyre is the issue. What then? We simply accept that "that's life isn't it."

prinz wrote: »
    What is much more "Irish" is a load of armchair-general types who think they know the laws and extent of authority of the Gardaí on the road better than a RTC Garda himself. Typically Irish.

And the fact that you start a thread ridiculing the authorities and not the idiots they are pulling over, because it's also typically Irish to be a danger on the road.

Hey, the idiots they are pulling over are bad enough, but the freaking law not being
    enforced is worse isn't it?

The gardai are not enforcing the law, and this is the reason we have so many
    goons takin' the piss on the roads.

That lady with the children for example; let us say that he hadn't the power
    to stop her driving off. Now, isn't there a case that he could have stopped her from driving due to the provisional licence issue? See, the issue wasn't just the kids with her, add the provisional
    issue as well and we can take it from there. Plus, he never even asked to
    see her insurance. The programme is really painting a poor image of these
    traffic cops.

See, it's your defeatist attitude and low standards that are affecting us all!

Seriously, any legal eagles out there who can maybe clarify if a garda
    can under certain special circumstances, impound or STOP
    a motorist from continuing on. Circumstances like the two
    I listed, the baldy threaded coach tyre carrying the children and the woman
    with 5 children NOT strapped into seats, or similar cases.

If a car was driving down the road on fire, can they not stop it
    and refuse to allow the driver to continue? Because, from what
    I have heard here and read, the ONLY circumstances where they
    can STOP and impound or stop the car moving or continuing
    is: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driving-offences/driving_offences

I do know the insurance issue can result in a garda impounding the vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

mike65 wrote: »
    Chewing gum? There are bigger fish to fry. I love the portentious narration of these programmes.

Sorry that I am quoting you mike65, and this has nothing to do with you.

This is why I advocate for a seperate Traffic Police Force.
    Not one that falls under the Gardia.
    Seperate uniform, seperate cars, etc.

Poeple get away with 'small' things on the roads, wich means that they 'learn' to disregard the rules of the road -after all, what is going to happen?

• Advertisement
Advertisement