Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4770 is the card to get

Options
  • 15-06-2009 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭

I was reading various reviews and they're all going nuts about this card.
    It's the first 40nm chip and it runs just as good as the 4850 in most games if not better in some. I've seen this for as low as 70 quid online.
    Have any of you got one or are planning to get one? In crossfire they beat the 4890.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I was reading various reviews and they're all going nuts about this card.
    It's the first 45nm chip and it runs just as good as the 4850 in most games if not better in some. I've seen this for as low as 70 quid online.
    Have any of you got one or are planning to get one? In crossfire they beat the 4890.

Pounds or euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭polishpaddy

what country do u live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

what country do u live in?

Don't see the relevancy of this.... I live in Dublin, Ireland.

The euro.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The problem is pricing. In Ireland last time I checked, their inflated price point and the reductions on the 4830 defeated their intended purpose. Not to mention that they're still 512mb cards and the reliance on multi-gpu support always makes me wary of the phrase 'unbeatable performance'. Prices abroad also need postage, so even if the postage was only 15-20 more than Irish retailers, thats a considerable amount of money when you're talking about budget cards. So, so far, 4770 has been the card in theory only from what I've seen on our little island.

• Advertisement

You make some valid points and couldn't agree with you more.
    512mb ram is enough for mainstream gaming though. But what other card can you get that compares to the 4770 in price and performance? The 4850 is still more expensive.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Er... no. Not when you can pick up HD4850s for under €100 over here or ~€90 overseas. Whereas the inferior HD4770 costs €120 most places here and postage kills overseas deals :eek:

Back when the HD4850 was €130+ and the HD4770 was debuting as low as €84 some places it was made of epic win. But then the whole situation reversed and the HD4770 now fails mightily. Continuing lack of stock is only making things worse as there's no competition and no incentive to lower prices. :mad:

Bear in mind that the HD4770 was meant as a replacement for the HD4670 and to ownificate the HD4830/9800GT/GTS240. It was never meant to take on the HD4850 or GTS250 and can only draw level with it when OCd to 782/3980MHz. Stock clocks are 750/3200MHz and while the GPU laughs at OCs well past 800MHz with compatible drivers the memory is undervolted and might not reach the magic 1GHz base clock it needs despite being based on 4GHz chips (when run at its rated voltage - even as it is that GDDR5 is responsible for nearly half the card's power draw!). By comparison a good, cheap HD4850 can hit 740/2280MHz if you're lucky at which point a HD4770 would need speeds of 925/4560MHz to keep pace, which just ain't happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

True mon frere, but the reason people are going nuts is because you bang two of these into crossfire at a total cost of 160-180 euro and you've got yourself equivalent frame rates to the top players in the market at the mo.

I almost cried seeing the benchmarks 2X4770s were pulling after dropping a little less than 400 on a gtx295:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

But we're talking €200-250 nowadays, whereas two decent-brand HD4850s are €180-200 for better performance to boot!

The only reason to go HD4770 at the moment is if you have chronic power issues and can't upgrade that old PSU you were running your 6600GT/HD4650 etc. on. And good luck finding one let alone two! :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

they're selling like hotcakes, very hard to get them unless they're overpriced somewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement