Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Honda CRV -Changing oil in Rear-diff?

• 15-06-2009 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I have on 08 Honda CR-V with 19000 kilometres on the clock. A groaning noise has appeared on the left side when steering is fully locked e.g. tight parking. I just got the first service done and enquired about the problem. Was told that the rear diff oil needed changing and that it would cost 180 euro. service only cost 150 euro. is it just me or does this seem a big outlay on a car that is relatively new and lightly driven in city conditions mostly? Should i factor in a standard 200 euro every 20k kms or is this a fault that would be covered under the warranty? I dont know much about cars - and feel out of my depth so any advice hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I would consider the groaning noise a warranty fault. It shouldn't need changing already - check the intervals on your owners manual/service booklet. It should give the frequency that it needs to be changed at.

Was it a Honda dealer you went to for the service? I would bring it to another dealer to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

EPM wrote: »
    I would consider the groaning noise a warranty fault. It shouldn't need changing already - check the intervals on your owners manual/service booklet. It should give the frequency that it needs to be changed at.

Was it a Honda dealer you went to for the service? I would bring it to another dealer to be honest
    +1, my Subaru needs its diff oils changed every 45k kms, and i'd consider even that to be quite frequent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

@ 19k and a groaning noise? Hmmmmmmmmm, ask the mechanic/or service advisor to show you the service interval schedule that warrants his suggestion because it sounds like total BS to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 cossieh

thanks all.
    so .. if thats dubious that the rear-diff oil needs replacing after less than 20k kms, any ideas what the problem could be?
    either way, is it reasonable to drop it to the dealer i bought it from and let them diagnose and fix under warranty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

thats what a warranty is for and you paid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

+1 to what he said.

Even with a LSD I cant imagine changing the oil after 19,000 km of normal road use.

Sounds more like a power steering pump. Do these Honda's still have the engine in the wrong way round? Would explain the noise being on p/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

cossieh wrote: »
    thanks all.
    so .. if thats dubious that the rear-diff oil needs replacing after less than 20k kms, any ideas what the problem could be?
    either way, is it reasonable to drop it to the dealer i bought it from and let them diagnose and fix under warranty?

power steering pump, clicking or groaning on full lock???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Groaning on full lock could be normal or it could be air getting into the system, a sticking pressure relief valve, faulty pump, faulty rack, blocked pipe/filter etc etc

Just bring it to your main agent. Chances are if it is faulty it wont be the first time it has happened and they will know what the problem is from the start.

Advertisement