Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Number plate on windscreen.. Legal ??

• 15-06-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with having your numberplate inside your windscreen.. is it legal ?

(I cant find the piece of legislation / SI that deals with number plates )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Only trade plates can be displayed inside the windscreen afaik, normal plates have to be fixed to the car at the front & back !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Yeah it improves aerodinamics of the car significantly, lot of (boy)racing cars arounds with the plate on the windscreen. I never seen plate on the back screen for some reason :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Can anyone point me to the relevant legislation.
    I've been looking around http://www.irishstatutebook.ie but with no luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The 'side effect' is that they can be instantly turned around at Free Flow Toll plazas .

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The 'side effect' is that they can be instantly turned around at Free Flow Toll plazas .

if its legal to have it on the dash... i'll put it on the dash.

Thats why i'm looking for the relevant legislation.
    All i can find is the prescribed size etc.. nothing about positioning

• Advertisement

I found this.. it seems to be that as long as the front plate is forward facing and vertical.. all is ok.

(7) Subject to the provisions of subparagraph (8), the identification mark of a vehicle shall be exhibited, in the case of a vehicle which has only one front wheel, on the back of the vehicle and, in the case of any other vehicle, on the front of and on the back of the vehicle in a vertical or nearly vertical position, so that every letter or figure of the identification mark is vertical or nearly vertical and is easily distinguishable, in the case of the letters and figures placed on the front of the vehicle, from in front of the vehicle and in the case of the letters and figures placed on the back of the vehicle, from behind the vehicle.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/plweb-cgi/fastweb?state_id=1245071509&amp;view=ag-view&amp;docrank=6&amp;numhitsfound=11&amp;query_rule=(($query1)<=YEAR<=($query2)) AND (($query3)):legtitle AND (($query4)):number AND (($query5)):sectionno AND (($query0))&amp;query0=front identifying mark vehicle&amp;docid=20316&amp;docdb=SIs&amp;dbname=Acts&amp;dbname=SIs&amp;sorting=none&amp;operator=and&amp;TemplateName=predoc.tmpl&amp;setCookie=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

pa990 wrote: »
    I found this.. it seems to be that as long as the front plate is forward facing and vertical.. all is ok.

(7) Subject to the provisions of subparagraph (8), the identification mark of a vehicle shall be exhibited, in the case of a vehicle which has only one front wheel, on the back of the vehicle and, in the case of any other vehicle, on the front of and on the back of the vehicle in a vertical or nearly vertical position, so that every letter or figure of the identification mark is vertical or nearly vertical and is easily distinguishable,

Thats where it will catch you. A vehicle registration plate is not easily distinguishable inside a windscreen. The glare from the windscreen would deminish the view of it. Also it states vertical......are you going to attach it to the windscreen...at an angle or make up a braket??

Thats where it will catch you. A vehicle registration plate is not easily distinguishable inside a windscreen. The glare from the windscreen would deminish the view of it. Also it states vertical......are you going to attach it to the windscreen...at an angle or make up a braket??

i'll cross that toll bridge when i meet it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

So why bother asking anyone here for advice or info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Interesting! So a reg plate has to be in a 'nearly verticle postion'. So if you have it flat on the dash and you're brought to court you can argue to the judge - "Your Honour, the regplate was on the dash and it was in a nearly vertical position. In fact, I'd only have to rotate it 90 degrees to be fully verticle but the legislation doesn't call for it to be fully verticle!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

I presume the near vertical qualification is to cover slopped bumpers on the front of cars.
    The text suggests that the char's should be printed to appear vertical, so streched letter to compensate for the angle.

So why bother asking anyone here for advice or info?

my original question was, whether or not it was legal to have a number plate behind the windscreen.
    From the SI i eventually found, my interpretation is that it can be anywhere, as long as it is forward facing ina vertical or near vertical position.
    That is all needed to know.

I appreciate that you highlighted the point about it being easily distinguishable, however, that matter will not be an issue for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Not so. The legislation says it has to be "on the front of and on the back of the vehicle". I don't think you could argue that inside the windscreen is on the front.

phutyle wrote: »
    Not so. The legislation says it has to be "on the front of and on the back of the vehicle". I don't think you could argue that inside the windscreen is on the front.

i agree to a point..

But it doesn't specify exactly where on the front of the vehicle. It could be argued that the windscreen is the front of the car..and that the plate is forward facing

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

i agree to a point..

But it doesn't specify exactly where on the front of the vehicle. It could be argued that the windscreen is the front of the car..and that the plate is forward facing
    You may argue that, but any judge is unlikely to accept it. Moreover, a district court judge will take a dim view of this kind of blinkered pedantry.

You appear to have already made up your mind on this and will adapt any statutory provision to suit. I take it you're asking this for less than noble reasons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

i agree to a point..

On a 1965 VW van, maybe.

On most cars, the bottom of the windscreen is a about a quarter of the length of the vehicle from the front. So I don't think it could be argued - at least not successfully.

I've seen matters dismissed in Dist Courts when the most ridiculous excuses / reasons / arguments were put forward.

Judges can only deal with the law as it is written, where there is any ambiguity, the presumption of innocence kicks in.

Anyway.. i have my mind made up.
    If someone can provide a link or detail of some other SI etc that gives specific information as to the positioning of a front number plate, I would be grateful.
    But for the moment "S.I. No. 318/1992:" is all i can locate

thanks

don't registration plates have to be lit when driving at night to be seen, so are you planning to place a light on the dashboard to illuminate the plate ??

S.I. No. 432 of 1999 which you refer to here only refers to the lettering and dimensions of the plate

It appears you're trying to get around paying tolls etc which is a bad thing and I would imagine any garda who stopped you would take a dim view of this !
    Anyway.. i have my mind made up.
    If someone can provide a link or detail of some other SI etc that gives specific information as to the positioning of a front number plate, I would be grateful.
    But for the moment "S.I. No. 318/1992:" is all i can locate

thanks
    Why don't you ring your local Garda station and ask them can they point you to the relevant legislation concerning the position of number plates before you potentially break the law rather than asking for legal advice on an internet forum !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

I have the solution ! Buy a Robin Reliant:D If the vehicle has only a single wheel at the front you dont need a reg plate at the front !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Judges can only deal with the law as it is written, where there is any ambiguity, the presumption of innocence kicks in.
    That's a weird kind of logic you have! What happens if the judge asks you why the plate is not where it should be? You appear to be prepared to commit perjury (a very serious offence) to cover for a relatively minor offence.

And would you present you vehicle for an NCT with the plate in the windscreen? Methinks not.

don't registration plates have to be lit when driving at night to be seen,
    Only the rear plate is legally required to be illuminated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

just put them on the car like everyone else does. your only drawing attention to yourself by the shades and the only reason why i think your mounting inside your windscreen is looks whick IMO is stupid. Wait til you see how cool you will look up in court over a stupid offence which your commiting known to yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭whippet

inside the windscreen of a normal car is not 'on the front' of the car.

Its simple really, it isn't illegal to have the plates inside the windscreen of a normal car.

That should answer the OP's question.

Sitec wrote: »
    and the only reason why i think your mounting inside your windscreen is looks whick IMO is stupid

The OP hinted strongly that his reason was to avoid toll charges on the M50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

What if the OP simply breaks a small corner off their reg plate? (across where a mounting screw would go) but it still clearly displayed the full reg number,

so if he/she is stopped by the Guards they can say "sorry guard, somebody must have reversed into the reg plate with a towbar and cracked it so I had to take it off until I get a new one, so the only place for it was the windscreen" type story

mullingar wrote: »
    so if he/she is stopped by the Guards they can say "sorry guard, somebody must have reversed into the reg plate with a towbar and cracked it so I had to take it off until I get a new one, so the only place for it was the windscreen" type story

When I put it to the OP that there was a side effect he did not deny that the side effect was the desired effect , ie toll evasion .

The Best reason why this is a completely stupid idea and why the ONLY place for it is in the BOOT of the car and not on the windscreen .....is called Newtons First Law Of Motion

Apart from being illegal , as others have explained, it is also stupid .

Illegal and Stupid on a Motorway is bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The toll will read the back plate anyway and make the plan pointless will it not?

Stekelly wrote: »
    The toll will read the back plate anyway and make the plan pointless will it not?

It will at some stage but it does not right now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

How would they describe "vertical".....we're assuming the plate is fixed vertically or tilted back ,but if the plate was pointing towards the ground by that same degree would that be legal.?....just curious.:confused:

Advertisement