Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you tip the delivery man?

• 15-06-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

I can't help it, I do, everytime I receive something in post, I have 2 euro ready.

Frankly, it's annoying sometimes because, sometimes I don't have the change, so I feel like a douche.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Yes.......usually a comment on his cloths or appearance is sufficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Are they not paid already by An post ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

is it that time already?

I think this is one of the more common AH threads after anti english/foreigner threads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

No, they don't tip me for selling them carpets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If it's an An Post or FedEx guy then no.

If he's delivering me pizza or the like then yes.

If he's delivering herbs then no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Only food delivery. Not if they take ages though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

i tend to give a few quid to the pizza guy... then one day I had one stand there with his hand out expecting a tip. (not a usual driver, so i hadnt tipped him before) and after that I don't tip any of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Rabies wrote: »
    is it that time already?

I think this is one of the more common AH threads after anti english/foreigner threads

Oh yea, forgot about those ones, I'm gonna one now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Nope.

I invite them in for tea and crumpet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭jigglywoo

I like to tip them over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I used to until the guy delivering my chinese one night decided to add 3 euro on top of the bill.

When I told him what price I received over the phone he showed me the bill where the idiot had clearly scribbled out the original price and written his own one.

I told him to bugger off and since then I either collect food myself or do not tip delivery guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

I tip the Pizza man. Never have I heard of someone tipping the Postman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

CyberGhost wrote: »
    I can't help it, I do, everytime I receive something in post, I have 2 euro ready.

Frankly, it's annoying sometimes because, sometimes I don't have the change, so I feel like a douche.

I'd be kinda insulted if someone randomly handed me €2 like that. Food delieveries are different. If my food comes to about €20, I'd hand him €25, and he'd automatically know what the extra is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I tip every delivery man. Why just this morning I was buying a pack of my preferred cigarettes. Handed in the tenner and told the shopkeep to hold onto the change. I mean he did deliver them from behind the counter right to my hand. He was thoroughly pleased that I appreciated his service and informed me that there's some unscrupulous individuals who just look blankly at him for their change :eek: Some people just have no manners.

Abigayle wrote: »
    I'd be kinda insulted if someone randomly handed me €2 like that. Food delieveries are different. If my food comes to about €20, I'd hand him €25, and he'd automatically know what the extra is for.

Why?

They are being paid by the company that employs them. I know someone will come on and say it's a low paid job but thats not my fault and I'm not going to compensate the delivery person for that either.

Takeaway food is hideously expensive anyway, €16 for a medium pizza is lunacy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

splinter wrote: »
    then one day I had one stand there with his hand out expecting a tip. (not a usual driver, so i hadnt tipped him before) and after that I don't tip any of them
    was traveling with a ruf'n'ready souf londoner a while back and when a hapless porter extended his hand and murmered the the 't' word he was met with "...tip? I'll give you a tip: dont be so fu cking rude, you two bob c***"
    Harsh, but fair.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Why?

They are being paid by the company that employs them. I know someone will come on and say it's a low paid job but thats not my fault and I'm not going to compensate the delivery person for that either.

Takeaway food is hideously expensive anyway, €16 for a medium pizza is lunacy!

I always tip the person delivering my food, for me its not just because its a low paid job, its a lousey job. The tip is also an unspoken pact that the next time he delievers my food he wont snot/sh1t/ or jizz in it :pac:

Tell me, does your pizza ever taste a bit.. funny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I never tip them unless my total say comes to 9.80 and I give them a tenner and just say keep the change.

I'll never ever tip Domino's because afaik their drivers are paid by the hour.

• Advertisement

I always tip the person delivering my food, for me its not just because its a low paid job, its a lousey job. The tip is also an unspoken pact that the next time he delievers my food he wont snot/sh1t/ or jizz in it :pac:

:D

Nope, cos I take it out of the oven myself! Takeaway food is off the menu for the moment, stupidly expensive. Much nicer cooked at home anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

bigkev49 wrote: »
    :D

Nope, cos I take it out of the oven myself! Takeaway food is off the menu for the moment, stupidly expensive. Much nicer cooked at home anyways.

You're damn right there. €4 for a Goodfella's pizza >>>>>> greasy overpriced take away pizza any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I usually give the delivery guys from the local Chinese and Indian 2-3 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

My two local takeaways are pizza and Chinese. Chinese charge less than €2 delivery charge (we live 1.5 miles from it). Pizza place charges over €4 for same distance! So I don't bother tipping them anymore...they're also ridiculously overpriced.

Re: Snot/sh1t/jizz....meh, what I don't know can't hurt me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    If he's delivering herbs then no.

I want someone to deliver some herbs to me.

That_Guy wrote: »
    You're damn right there. €4 for a Goodfella's pizza >>>>>> greasy overpriced take away pizza any day.

Does anyone find these new Goodfellas ads a bit gratuitous? They promote how their pizzas are so much less than takeaway pizzas (which fair enough, they are)...but I still think nearly €5 for a mediocre frozen pizza is a ripoff!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

I tip the Pizza man. Never have I heard of someone tipping the Postman.

Ya give the postman money for xmas tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

If at all possible tip the delivery man! I worked for a pizza place during college and tips are the only way that delivery people can make money. Was getting €5.50 p/h, €1.50 per delivery and whatever tips I made. That's grand on a busy weekend but during the week it costs more to run the car. One Tuesday I started at 5 and didn't have one delivery til half ten. While it might be late or cold, then they don't deserve a tip but if they get it on time then please do tip. People use that job for way to help supplement paying a mortgage or something. It's not a nice job at all from my experience so please do tip! :)

Does anyone find these new Goodfellas ads a bit gratuitous? They promote how their pizzas are so much less than takeaway pizzas (which fair enough, they are)...but I still think nearly €5 for a mediocre frozen pizza is a ripoff!

I think they're lovely. And they're oly €3 (or €2.99, to be precise) aren't they?

I wouldn't mind if there was a lot of hassle and effort involved in making pizza, but all you have to do is throw it in the over and take it out 20 minutes later. How people can justify paying 4 Star or Dominos' prices are beyond me (though in fairness, I did order pizza before a lot of the time, but after getting Goodfellas ones before, i learned my lesson).

I never tipped a post man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Cook them right and Goodfella's make great pizza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Ross O'Carroll-Kelly is that you?

I think they're lovely. And they're oly €3 (or €2.99, to be precise) aren't they?

I wouldn't mind if there was a lot of hassle and effort involved in making pizza, but all you have to do is throw it in the over and take it out 20 minutes later. How people can justify paying 4 Star or Dominos' prices are beyond me (though in fairness, I did order pizza before a lot of the time, but after getting Goodfellas ones before, i learned my lesson).

I never tipped a post man.

No, the new campaign is advertising them at €4-something "Takeaway pizza for less than a fiver" or something along those lines. I think there are much better frozen pizzas for a much smaller price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

For food delivery, yes.

For mail delivery no.

But I generally like food much more than the crap I get in the mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,189 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You know its strange

I'd tip a pizza guy

But the guys who delivered my furniture and brought it upstairs? I never even thought to give them a glass of water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sunset V wrote: »
    If at all possible tip the delivery man! I worked for a pizza place during college and tips are the only way that delivery people can make money. Was getting €5.50 p/h, €1.50 per delivery and whatever tips I made. That's grand on a busy weekend but during the week it costs more to run the car. One Tuesday I started at 5 and didn't have one delivery til half ten. While it might be late or cold, then they don't deserve a tip but if they get it on time then please do tip. People use that job for way to help supplement paying a mortgage or something. It's not a nice job at all from my experience so please do tip! :)

Why? If you choose to work for less than minimum wage, why should the customers supplement your wages if they're already paying a fee for the delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Overheal wrote: »
    You know its strange

I'd tip a pizza guy

But the guys who delivered my furniture and brought it upstairs? I never even thought to give them a glass of water.

You know, that is strange. I'm the same way, only I offer refreshments and sometimes dessert to those who deliver furniture. But never a tip. Only people who deliver food get a tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Why? If you choose to work for less than minimum wage, why should the customers supplement your wages if they're already paying a fee for the delivery.

It wasn't so much a choice as a necessity to cover college fees. It was all that was availble to me at the time and what I could fit around my final year activity. I would've loved a part time job that paid €40K a year for 5 hours a day work but it didn't really fall like that!:pac:

mathie wrote: »
    Ross O'Carroll-Kelly is that you?

Lulz. Love that goy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Magic.Marker

I only tip food delivery & I only tip €2 maximum (can't afford to tip more than that at the moment). I don't tip if the food is late -- I had to find a new chinese takeaway a few weeks ago cause the delivery fella was taking over an hour to deliver (it's only a 5 minute drive away). I've never heard of anyone tipping the postman before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Katniss everMean

Food delivery people I tip, but only if there is change in the cash I gave him tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭!

CyberGhost wrote: »

Everytime you receive somethingi in the post! :pac:

Do you only get post once a month or something. I nearly get it every day of the week. That'd be €10 at the most. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

No, where do ya think ye are? America land or something!?!?!:mad: Most I can do is tip my hat, if I happen to be wearing one at the time which I normally do not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Never have I heard of someone tipping the Postman.

If he knocks twice, his the one that does the tipping

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭C0ward

Never have, never will.

C0ward wrote: »
    Never have, never will.

Still have the communion money too, I'll bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

I'm a delivery driver and i would never expect a tip but its nice to get it. I only tip other drivers if their quick getting my food to me, but i dont get deliverys very often, quicker and cheaper to get staff discount on my nights off and bring it home myself.

The only thing that annoys me is when im delivering food and someone starts counting piles of change in front of me while i can see enough in notes to pay me sticking out of there purse/wallet.

Or this one person I deliver to who gives out if I get to their house early. I was 5 minutes early one day and she sent me away.
    I left did some deliveries and came back half an hour later with the same food. Her husband answered the door and looked a bit embarrased about what had happened and tipped me pretty well even though at this stage they were waiting probably over an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Or this one person I deliver to who gives out if I get to their house early. I was 5 minutes early one day and she sent me away.

Why on earth would she do that? The wagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

stovelid wrote: »
    Why on earth would she do that? The wagon.

i think you answered that question in a slightly more polite way than i would have:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

why should i give extra money to someone who is getting paid to do their job already?

• Advertisement
Advertisement