Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you tip the delivery man?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

I do mostly, Domino's pizza are sum muhfuggaz though, proficient in all the dirty lil tricks. Caught them givin me non-priced food twice, and miraculously both times had a receipt in the car for c. FIVE euro less than the requested price.

Other times they hand you a €20, then do the "I cant find any change, it's not like I'm a delivery driver who should have some at all times" dance when u hand them a €50 for a €25-28 etc bill, in the hopes you'll tell them to keep the change. I also make a point of not tipping these kundz when they start this tomfoolery.

I was waiting an hour for a dominos once and attempted to claim me sum free pie based on their "40 mins or free" promise. The Indian guy deliverin it FREAKED at me; Started by begging, saying he'd lose his job - Then got aggressive and said I was wrong, so I showed him the time I called it in on my mobile - Then said he "was parking", and said my house was very difficult to find (it's in an 8 house cul de sac on a main road, 3 mins drive from Dominos), he got fairly nasty all in all. In fantastically ironic fashion in his anger I copped him drop one of the €20 notes I gave him and off he went on his merry way, not before forgetting to give me the drinks I ordered till I reminded him. I popped out after he drove off and scooped up my porchside karmaic reward, and returned to my pizza which tasted almost sweet! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, because it is stupid. It is understandable to do it in America, not here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

The guilt usually gets the better of me and I'll throw them €2 but Im only a student myself and often wonder why am I actually giving them money?

I actually think its a pretty silly thing that has arisen from people getting the wrong idea about the practice in the states. As far as I know a lot of workers in the US earn absolute pittance and rely on tips for their income. This is an accepted practice and is understood by the employer, the employee and the customer. It also means prices will tend to be lower as the employer is not spending huge wages.

Its different over here but I have a feeling people just cottoned on to this idea they saw on friends or something and it has become standard.

As for tipping the post man...lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I usually tip the Pizza guy (about €2).

What how about (Tesco etc...) grocery deliveries? I never tip them. What's the etiquette for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Sunset V wrote: »
    If at all possible tip the delivery man! I worked for a pizza place during college and tips are the only way that delivery people can make money. Was getting €5.50 p/h, €1.50 per delivery and whatever tips I made. That's grand on a busy weekend but during the week it costs more to run the car. One Tuesday I started at 5 and didn't have one delivery til half ten.

Am I reading this right?

You got paid €5.50 an hour to do no work for five hours and your complaining?

To be fair I have had much worse jobs. When I was developing frostbite from stocking sh1te into freezers in some crappy shop nobody felt the need to slip me a few quid. Ive also never had the urge to tip the bloke behind the McDonalds counter or the person answering the phones in Dominos or the ones making the pizza for that matter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭high horse

CyberGhost wrote: »
    I can't help it, I do, everytime I receive something in post, I have 2 euro ready.

Frankly, it's annoying sometimes because, sometimes I don't have the change, so I feel like a douche.

PM me your address OP, I've loads of letters i need to send to you...I'm trying to help put your postman's kids through college :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

I used to tip the delivery guy. Then one day he turned up driving a better car than me so I stopped.

Now hes also selling fake designer gear and pirate DVD's on his rounds so the fool is raking it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

This post has been deleted.

I don't think its really that excessive. I'd feel a bit scabby handing someone a €2 tip. I wouldn't buy much for €5 tbh. Well I'll put it to you this way, if I'd had a glass or two of wine and couldn't drive into the town to go collect the food myself, it would cost me €8 in a taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

€5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Depends on how quick it gets here, I'd usually give them the odd 2 euro here and there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

^^^ nah, tipping ~25% (€5 into €20) on a food order is just mentalism tbh. Someone knows the value of a €!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Am I reading this right?

You got paid €5.50 an hour to do no work for five hours and your complaining?

To be fair I have had much worse jobs. When I was developing frostbite from stocking sh1te into freezers in some crappy shop nobody felt the need to slip me a few quid. Ive also never had the urge to tip the bloke behind the McDonalds counter or the person answering the phones in Dominos or the ones making the pizza for that matter!

Apologies, I didn't make that clear at all. No, I was still working in the shop, lifting carrying cleaning tables, taking orders etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

I always tip the pizza dude they get paid no money and work sucky hours etc etc .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

If its a fast delivery Ill tip em €2. Slow pokes get nada tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I gave the delivery driver a horrible tip earlier on by accident..I wasnt thinking and I just said "you can just give me 2 euro back please" when I had closed the door I realised that I had only tipped him 65 cent...I felt kind of bad...I always get that guy so I will be more generous next time:pac:
    I remember when I was in London I was waiting nearly 2 hours for my food delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

That_Guy wrote: »
    You're damn right there. €4 for a Goodfella's pizza >>>>>> greasy overpriced take away pizza any day.

I concur!

My friend used to work at a pizza place and he'd hook me up with some free pizzas from time to time and they tasted SOOOOO good, really big, packed with everything, amazing.
    He quit after a while and I went and bought the SAME pizza and it was a drab, ****ing awful, I never went back.

He used to make them special

Goodfellas is much better than the crap you get, IF you don't have a man on the inside.

! wrote: »
    Everytime you receive somethingi in the post! :pac:

Do you only get post once a month or something. I nearly get it every day of the week. That'd be €10 at the most. :rolleyes:

No, only the couriers, signed for, mail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭C0ward

Abigayle wrote: »
    Still have the communion money too, I'll bet.

Is there something wrong with not tipping people?

I would rather keep the money than give it to some Polish drunk. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

C0ward wrote: »
    Is there something wrong with not tipping people?
    I think so, yeah.
    I would rather keep the money than give it to some Polish drunk. :o

If you have had take-away delievered to you by anyone drunk, you should take their registration and report them to the police and their employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Stopped getting deliveries as the food always turned up cold or just warm but never hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

poisonated wrote: »
    I gave the delivery driver a horrible tip earlier on by accident..I wasnt thinking and I just said "you can just give me 2 euro back please" when I had closed the door I realised that I had only tipped him 65 cent...I felt kind of bad...I always get that guy so I will be more generous next time:pac:
    I remember when I was in London I was waiting nearly 2 hours for my food delivery

Thats not too bad ive delivered to people who say sure just give me 2 euro back and all they are owed is 1.50 or so in change. The confusion on their faces when you try to explain simple subtraction and that you are not trying to rip them off. 20 - 18.50 is 1.50 not 2.50, so many people do this regularily sometimes i think they are trying to screw me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I always tip something for a food delivery - 2 euro normally. It is scabby not to tip something. Even 1.50 or whatever depending on the cost of the order.

Regards postmen? Never, sure you may as well tip the courier.

Taxi-men I normally give em a euro or that on top of the fare unless they are assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Warper wrote: »
    I always tip something for a food delivery - 2 euro normally. It is scabby not to tip something. Even 1.50 or whatever depending on the cost of the order.

And is the food always hot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

I tip other guys like food delivery etc... like say keep the change

id hate to be in america... you have to tip o everything

but tipping the postman,thats just weird

Advertisement