Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you call your partner when talking to other people? Why?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I reffer to her by her name with friends, or 'herself' with people I don't know to well.. Or sometime joking with strangers "The boss".. I.e. guy in sales shop trying to sell me something more expensive then a cheaper just as effective product "I'll have to run that by the boss"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I hate the term wifey. Absolutely loathe it.

Xiney wrote: »
    I hate the term wifey. Absolutely loathe it.

+1

I also hate when mothers refer to their kids as DD(darling daughter) Or DS (Darling Son) as usually the truth is far from this description.

If more parents washed the crap out of their eyes and released there little angles are ****ing brats and smacked them accordingly the world would be a better place.

But no, they'd rather let them run wild and jump on anyone from a great height who so dares as mention the actions of their kids, of course "Their angles would never do that". In fact the parents need to be smacked and then they can pass it onto the kids.

</rant>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Mrs Fed

I use his first name when talking to people that know him or my husband when talking to people who don't know him.

Simple as that!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LauraLoo

I like partner. Leaves open the possibility that you might actually be a cop.

i never quite liked partner... until now:cool:

"can it wax works"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

If I'm talking to people that know him, I'd say his name. Otherwise I'd refer to him as "my boyfriend" or "my fiance". Generally "my boyfriend" if I don't know the person I'm talking to well, because I'm quite young to be engaged and if I say "my fiance" the conversation tends to go off on a big tangent.

He usually refers to me as "herself" or "the missus" :rolleyes:

yeah... it's the whole "aren't you a bit young to be married?" thing that makes me somewhat avoid saying "husband" online.

Not so much now, but when I was 20... boy did I ever dread the inevitable "holy crap you're mental"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭valery

aoibhebree wrote: »
    If I'm talking to people that know him, I'd say his name. Otherwise I'd refer to him as "my boyfriend" or "my fiance". Generally "my boyfriend" if I don't know the person I'm talking to well, because I'm quite young to be engaged and if I say "my fiance" the conversation tends to go off on a big tangent.

He usually refers to me as "herself" or "the missus" :rolleyes:

Thats just the wiring difference between" us and them" AND THATS OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

yeah... it's the whole "aren't you a bit young to be married?" thing that makes me somewhat avoid saying "husband" online.

Not so much now, but when I was 20... boy did I ever dread the inevitable "holy crap you're mental"

Bollix to that tbh, you are happy enough to have married him and are pleased what he is your husband then not acknowledging that due to other people's retarded assumptions is just, just wrong imho.

Sorry but I can get very riled up when it comes to people not observing/honouring the law of the couple or showing their spouse the courtesy and entitlement due them.

Xiney if you are happy and proud to be married to him then do by all accounts say that he is your husband and if other people have a problem then that is their problem don't let their issues mean you don't honour the man you are married to by not saying he is the man you are married to.

Sorry rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I call my wife, my "wife" unless I am talking to people who know us (and thus who she is) and I user her name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

It's not that I'm ashamed of being engaged - couldn't be happier or prouder to be honest. It's just that if I'm talking to someone I don't know well and probably won't talk to again, it's a bit pointless to mention "my fiance" in conversation because I almost invariably get the whole, "What? What age are you? What do your parents think? Shouldn't you be off travelling the world/focussing on your career/having fun?" etc.

I wouldn't have a problem with defending my relationship when needs be to people who I actually know, and whose opinion I respect, but I really don't feel the need to justify it to the rest of the world.

(For the record, I'm not that young - 24 - and I am travelling, focussing on my career, and having a whole lot of fun ... I'm just lucky enough to have met an amazing guy to share it all with me :D)

It's not that I'm ashamed of being engaged - couldn't be happier or prouder to be honest. It's just that if I'm talking to someone I don't know well and probably won't talk to again, it's a bit pointless to mention "my fiance" in conversation because I almost invariably get the whole, "What? What age are you? What do your parents think? Shouldn't you be off travelling the world/focussing on your career/having fun?" etc.

I wouldn't have a problem with defending my relationship when needs be to people who I actually know, and whose opinion I respect, but I really don't feel the need to justify it to the rest of the world.

(For the record, I'm not that young - 24 - and I am travelling, focussing on my career, and having a whole lot of fun ... I'm just lucky enough to have met an amazing guy to share it all with me :D)

People like that get right up my nose, talk about rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I got married at 24 :D When nosey people say that is very young I think about telling them to shove it but I am too nice so simply point out that in times gone by I would have been married before I even did my Junior cert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

My imaginary friend.

God I'm so alone.

Sob.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

hobochris wrote: »
    +1

I also hate when mothers refer to their kids as DD(darling daughter) Or DS (Darling Son) as usually the truth is far from this description.

If more parents washed the crap out of their eyes and released there little angles are ****ing brats and smacked them accordingly the world would be a better place.

But no, they'd rather let them run wild and jump on anyone from a great height who so dares as mention the actions of their kids, of course "Their angles would never do that". In fact the parents need to be smacked and then they can pass it onto the kids.

</rant>

Well, theoretically, it could be "damn daughter", "damn son" or just DK (damn kids!) :pac:

skywards wrote: »
    Well, theoretically, it could be "damn daughter", "damn son" or just DK (damn kids!) :pac:
    here's hoping.. I'm not holding my breath though, usually the ones that use it are so pretentious that the only times they take their heads out of their own arses is to check if the weather has changed.

here's hoping.. I'm not holding my breath though, usually the ones the use it are so pretentious that the only times they take their heads out of their own arses is to check if the weather has changed.

But surely you don't mean their little prince could ever POSSIBLY do anything wrong? SHAME! :pac:

Yes some people are idiots and some of them have children this is hardly news.

skywards wrote: »
    But surely you don't mean their little prince could ever POSSIBLY do anything wrong? SHAME! :pac:

I know, who could imagine such a thing? there will be no platinum MasterCard for their 10th birthday.
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    fair point,we have drifted off topic a bit.

<back on topic>

I sometimes also call her "the misses" in the company of strangers.

Speaking of idiots, my mother had me convinced until I was 7 that there was a test to be a mother and those who failed became fathers. I should have known then and there that there was a divorce coming :p. I can't believe I fell for that one though :eek:.

Drifting back on topic, I have no idea what I'd refer to someone as, probably mr skywards unless I was feeling clever and invented something else :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

the lack

Bollix to that tbh, you are happy enough to have married him and are pleased what he is your husband then not acknowledging that due to other people's retarded assumptions is just, just wrong imho.

Sorry but I can get very riled up when it comes to people not observing/honouring the law of the couple or showing their spouse the courtesy and entitlement due them.

Xiney if you are happy and proud to be married to him then do by all accounts say that he is your husband and if other people have a problem then that is their problem don't let their issues mean you don't honour the man you are married to by not saying he is the man you are married to.

Sorry rant over.

Oh no, I'm very happy to be married to him and it's not a question of not honouring him at all.

It's more the fact that discussions would get sidetracked and my opinions on things would be thrown into suspect territory because I'm "the crazy person who got married young". I would have rather avoided that whole thing because the fact that I'm married is really none of their business anyway, nor is it usually pertinent to the discussion at hand.

Like I said though, it doesn't happen so much now. And probably these days I wouldn't care if it did :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

O the Sisters of Mercy, they are not departed or gone

"the crazy person who got married young". I would have rather avoided that whole thing because the fact that I'm married is really none of their business anyway, nor is it usually pertinent to the discussion at hand

If you got married when you were 12, that is one thing. However, I'm fairly certain you were a bit older than that, at which point it really isn't anyone elses effing business when you got married!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

online, on boards, usually 'my fella', on other boards that we're both on, i refer to him by his screen name usually, in real life, my fella, or 'my X'

(where x is obviously his name).

he tends to refer to me as 'the missus' (seems to be a very kiwi thing), 'irish', or 'the immigrant'. at which point i get distracted singing a certian song, usually.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

"This is my boyfriend, X", usually. I like when he introduces me as his girlfriend, and I always wonder why he didn't when he doesn't. My problem is that my boyfriend has a nickname that's much more commonly used than his real name, but I always feel ridiculous introducing him by his nickname. I call him by his real name to him, my family, and acquaintences, and by his nickname to my friends.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,918 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I get the same thing as you, I'm 23. One woman even asked me had we a kid together, as if it was some sort of shotgun wedding!! :eek:

Before we got engaged, I used to refer to him as my partner (we're together ages so to me 'boyfriend' just sounded like we were only seeing each other) but now I refer to him as my fiance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

I refer to my OH as his first name to people who know him, or I know pretty well. As you can see, I call him OH on Boards. Or to people who my OH and I grew up with, I use his nickname.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

My moon and stars of course.*

*As she may read what I write

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

By only their first name, always, regardless of the situation.

Advertisement