Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stumped over Waste vent in attic

Options
  • 15-06-2009 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hello all,

The waste pipe in the attic has my head done in.

I have a seperate post here to do with mould on bedroom ceiling ,which seems to be under control since leaving windows open more often.

Anyway I emtied a full bucket of water out of the waste drain in the attic (fairly smelly water at that) about 6 months ago.

I checked the attic yesterday and again the waste flexi pipe has become undone from the roof vent - due to the weight of the pipe with water in it.

Its really doing my head in as I cant believe it could be rain water getting in the roof vent ,I'm afraid somehow its vapour build up from the waste pipe collecting in the pipe (although I'm not sure if its possible to end up with as much water in the pipe from this)

Has anyone any similar type of experience or know much about the set up ?

The house is 7 years old . The yellow flexi pipe is fed from the wall from a solid type striaght pipe ,when this solid pipe is rocked there is a olt of play in it - like its not fitted securely to whatever its meant to be connected to.

Any lighht on the set up would be appreciated or ideas of what do do,
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

When you say the "waste pipe" I assume you mean the vent pipe from the main drain? If there isn't a continuous fall in the pipe from the roof vent back then the pipe will always fill with water. Condensation from the steam from hot water from the shower/bath etc would easily fill it in six months. Personally I have never had any time for flexible vent pipes, especially the corrugated types, as they sag and retain water too easily. If I were you I would measure up for some rigid plastic pipe and elbows, all of which can be obtained from builders suppliers. When fitting, make sure that there is a fall by using 45 degree elbows, and use a short (say 6 inch) piece of flexible fitted vertically to connect the solid vent pipe to the roof vent to take up any expansion of the plastic. If you do that then it wouldn't matter is rain did get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Have the same problem as OP, including the mould on cieling. In my case i assumed it to be build up of vapour from the vent - due to the distance from the ceiling fan to the vent been too long (appox 12 ft ) and the vent is about 4/5ft above the ceiling level. I have emptied it a couple of times (at least a litre each time)

Would like to hear any opinions how to rectify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

Thanks Art,

The vent pipe is not the one coming from the ceiling fan (the bathroom has no windows,has a ceiling fan which does not have a vent pipe connected to the roof , whatever air is taken out is brought into the attic)

The vent pipe that gets filled with water is connected from the side wall right above the toilet ,I'm thinking it is meant to vent out bad odours from the waster pipe in the bathroom. What you say about the fall in the pipe is correct - itts too long in the attic and lays horizontal for most of the stretch.

Does this set up make sense ? Dont know if its the proper regulation. As Art says I will re-arrange the pipe at least so there is a proper fall to the pipe at side of the wall.

thanks,
    blu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

blueyedson wrote: »
    Thanks Art,

The vent pipe is not the one coming from the ceiling fan (the bathroom has no windows,has a ceiling fan which does not have a vent pipe connected to the roof , whatever air is taken out is brought into the attic)

The vent pipe that gets filled with water is connected from the side wall right above the toilet ,I'm thinking it is meant to vent out bad odours from the waster pipe in the bathroom. What you say about the fall in the pipe is correct - itts too long in the attic and lays horizontal for most of the stretch.

Does this set up make sense ? Dont know if its the proper regulation. As Art says I will re-arrange the pipe at least so there is a proper fall to the pipe at side of the wall.

thanks,
    blu

I assumed that you meant the toilet and sewerage pipe vent. A flexible laying horizontally will always fill with water and sag. A quick fix is sometimes to simply tape it to a wooden batten that has legs to create the right fall. It's a lash up that can give you time to make a proper job later:D

Advertisement