Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DHL VAT charge - but it's marked as a gift - do I have to pay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Aziraphale wrote: »
    Okay. I get most people think I should pay the tax. Any more ideas on what will happen if I don't, or if it's paid after DHL's deadline?

If you don't pay within the 7 days, DHL will send it back to the sender. They won't hold on to it any longer than that. So, either pay before then, or it's gone. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Being honest, I would say the internet site you bought from is well known by customs and as soon as they saw 'gift' it flagged alarms with them straight away.

'Gift' although sometimes works with ebay sellers and internet stores, customs have copped onto this and with things the way they are with the economy, biffo needs all of the customs money het can get

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

. Any more ideas on what will happen if I don't,

That was covered early on. it'll be sent back to Japan.

Whatever chance you have of gettign a refund, it definately wont include the postage cost.

As already stated , it's your responsibility to know the local tax requirements.

As for the question a few posts up, if you dont know anythign about Vat or who the revenue are, why did you have them mark it as a gift and how did you know to do that? What did you think the purpose was if not to defraud the revenue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Aziraphale

Stekelly wrote: »
    As for the question a few posts up, if you dont know anythign about Vat or who the revenue are, why did you have them mark it as a gift and how did you know to do that? What did you think the purpose was if not to defraud the revenue?

They said: do you want me to mark it as a gift so you don't have to pay tax? I said yes. I do know what VAT is (I admit I didn't know it was 21.5%, I thought it was 20.6%), but I have never been charged import tax/VAT on something before. I thought that bit was kind of theoretical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

I thought that bit was kind of theoretical.

no our nice revenue people do not have any theoretical taxes all are real and must be paid. unless your a builder ;)

• Advertisement

They said: do you want me to mark it as a gift so you don't have to pay tax? I said yes. I do know what VAT is (I admit I didn't know it was 21.5%, I thought it was 20.6%), but I have never been charged import tax/VAT on something before. I thought that bit was kind of theoretical.

Now you have learned a very valuable lesson in buying online. You'll be much wiser next time and will include the cost of vat/duty when you buy from outside the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No, I'm asking for advice on how to prevent the Revenue from defrauding me. I don't even know who the Revenue are. Are they the same people who charge income tax on wages?

I'm finding it hard to believe you are being serious. The Revenue are not defrauding you by asking that you pay Taxes you must pay by law. As for not knowing who they Are - come off it. What age are you???

You bought an item outside the EU , pay your taxes and stop moaning about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

dade wrote: »
    you can go through the green side if what you are taking into the country is under a certain value or quantity

If buying duty free on the way out of Ireland, you're not supposed to subsequently bring it back into Ireland, without declaring it. Duty free on the way out of a country is supposed to be consumed, or left in the destination country. But that's an aside.
    They said: do you want me to mark it as a gift so you don't have to pay tax? I said yes.
    Some sites offer this, but it's meaningless, especially for something of any value. Also, gifts aren't normally sent from a commercial entity, so marking an obvious non-gift as gift, only serves to draw attention to it.
    I do know what VAT is (I admit I didn't know it was 21.5%, I thought it was 20.6%), but I have never been charged import tax/VAT on something before. I thought that bit was kind of theoretical.

Not sure where you got 20.6% from, but it wouldn't have made a whole lot of difference to your bill anyway. You won't always be charged, but you'll never know when it will or won't, so you should always factor it in when buying that bargain from outside the EU, to see if it really is a bargain.

Srameen, I thought there was a department which dealt with importation and cross-border controls, and another department which dealt with tax on income within the country. In Ireland, I thought 'the Revenue' were related to income tax, so I assumed they weren't related to customs. Now I've checked Wikipedia and see that there's just one agency which covers both. Why isn't this covered in schools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭dfer

Sorry for thread jacking but its on the same subject,

I do not mind pay VAT on anything coming into the country from outside the EU but one thing that annoys me is that they add Shipping costs into the Tax ............ WHY?!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Because VAT is levied on shipping / couriers within Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

dfer wrote: »
    Sorry for thread jacking but its on the same subject,

I do not mind pay VAT on anything coming into the country from outside the EU but one thing that annoys me is that they add Shipping costs into the Tax ............ WHY?!!! :mad:

Shipping is a service. Services, like goods, are subject to VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It would also leave them open to loopholes, laptop €1, postage & handling€1000.

It is why I always ask sellers for the cheapest postage possible.

In theory if you got a letter couriered to you that costed €22 to send I think you could be charged for it. i.e. they would say the paper inside is worth 1cent but AFAIK the limit includes the postage cost from the start, but this would rarely if ever happen.

A more plausible situation would be if you had a dvd costing €22 and postage of €5. I think it is rare the postage in the original valuation, but will be added in if the product is over the €45 (as €22 is rarely used).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Why isn't this covered in schools?

Its covered in both the accountancy & business sylabus. - And you will be happy to know that a small portion of the vat / duty paid will go towards the provision of the free education you have had.

as regards 20.6%vat - this is the french rate. - If the item was delivered to France you would still be liable for 20.6% VAT. If you bought it in Japan, their VAT is 5%, in the USA it ranges from 6 - 13%, in the uK its 15%

Also afaik, there is no duty on laptops, so the invoice if for VAT only on the cost of the product + cost of delivery and then a admin fee of about €15.
    I would guess the cost was about €500 including delivery.

darc wrote: »
    Also afaik, there is no duty on laptops, so the invoice if for VAT only

What is duty? I thought that was the same as VAT.

I never had classes in accountancy or business...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Brudder, duty is anudder tax like vat .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

your so blatently trying to defraud the revenue although you keep denying this for some reason ??

your replies have ranged from "what if i told them its for my dads business"

then later "what if i told them i was going to export it out of ireland"

just pay your damn taxes like ev eryone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I wouldn't expect there to be any excise duty on the laptop as computer equipment is typically exempt. The feel will most likely be VAT at 21.5% plus a handling fee for DHL. Just pay it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Maybe its time you took the initiative to learn about it.
    Key in "Import Duty" on Google and learn! - Especially if you are going to purchase more items from outside the EU.

Most countries in the world operate a duty regime. In Ireland European Duty is applied to a range of goods, but many goods are duty exempt. - If you are importing items from outside the EU, it maybe be wise to have the Taric number attached to the invoice as this determines the rate of duty. If a taric number is not attached, a general duty rate of approx. 4% is applied.

madmik wrote: »
    your so blatently trying to defraud the revenue although you keep denying this for some reason ??

your replies have ranged from "what if i told them its for my dads business"

then later "what if i told them i was going to export it out of ireland"

just pay your damn taxes like ev eryone else

Okay ... any advice on how I can get financial compensation out of them for the delay?

• Advertisement

Okay ... any advice on how I can get financial compensation out of them for the delay?

ROFL. :D You're joking, right??? :eek:

You've some neck, I'll tell you.

In short, you have NO CHANCE of getting any compensation at all, because you are delaying the delivery by not paying quicker.

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

Why should you get compensation, what loss have you suffered as a result of the delay?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Aziraphale, your posts are nothing but hilarious :)
    keep them coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Now you're just trolling. By not paying, you're making the delay longer. Pay now and you'll get it quickly. Pay later and you'll get it later.

jor el wrote: »
    Now you're just trolling. By not paying, you're making the delay longer. Pay now and you'll get it quickly. Pay later and you'll get it later.

Pay too late and it'll be shipped back to Japan, and then you'll have to pay the company in Japan to ship it back again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Maybe you should ask a solicitor about this. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

ok its official,you have just confirmed to everyone youre a cream cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Who do you think should you for the "inconvenience"?

a.) The Japanese company who has sent the item as requested

or

b.) DHL who have delivered the package to the Revenue as required by law
    (They are likely to charge you for the inconveince of storing your item and dealing with the Revnue

or

c.) The Revenue Commissoners who are collecting tax which is due on the item and which everyone else has paid by either buying the product from within the EU or by paying their tax on imports

(They may take a dim view of someone trying to evade taxes by instructing a foreign company to mark an item as a gift)

As for your suggestion of using your Dads VAT number, VAT would still be payable on the product at port of entry.

If the product is shipped back to Japan for non-payment of local taxes, the company will probably charge you a "re-stocking" fee and keep the original postage amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Maybe you should talk to Daddy about it. As he has a business and is registered for VAT, he should be able to get it into your thick head. He may also be able to give you a good slap for asking dumb questions and wasting his time, as many of us here would like to be able to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I can't believe anyone is so clueless about what tax is :eek:. Various posters have told you in various ways that this is the law etc, yet you keep trying to get ways out of paying tax.

I too suspect that you are a troll.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement