Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trackday insurance

• 15-06-2009 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Didnt know whether to post here or in motors but here goes, does anybody know of anyone doing insurance for trackdays in Ireland, want to do a couple of trackdays but my life insurance for the mortgage wont cover me so looking to get trackday insurance to cover injury, death and the car (if possible)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Generally speaking when you bring your car onto a track it tough cookies if you wreck it. Same goes if somebody else runs into your car. Same goes for your own body as far as I am aware, you sign a waiver when you do a track day. Usual stuff like if you die on the track its your fault not the owners of the track etc.

Which is why I'm looking for insurance, plenty of companies in the Uk do track day insurance, just looking for someone over here who does it. Anybody who considers going out on track who has a family and mortgage is an idiot imo as if anything happens your family could be left in serious financial sh1te. I never said anything about the track offering insurance:rolleyes:

If you behave yourself and do anything stupid you really shouldnt need insurance.

Same can be said for driving on the roads and yet very few people would even consider taking to the roads without insurance. I wouldnt even consider placing my family in a situation where they MIGHT be left financially devastated and imo anyone who would is an idiot.

A track is very different than a public road, their are no lamp posts, people, buses to watch out for or to hit. Their are also nice run off areas complete with sand/gravel and also tyre walls in case it really goes bad. You also have those nice people waiting nearby to put out any fires and will pull you out of a car even if you are unable to. Not to mention the ambulance is about 30-60 seconds away.

But in anycase it is your choice, Ill ask around and see if can source any info for you.

Speeds are also far higher, cornering forces are also far higher, drivers partaking in trackdays(myself included) might also be very inexperienced at driving at speed for extended periods, armco also doesnt tend to be too forgiving.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

MIS appear to quote for track days. They're run by an Irishman and cover a lot of people on Irish events so they might be worth a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭afatbollix

prepare to be shafted tho... a driver i co-drive for was given a quote of 30,000 for his car for i think 2 rallys... ( only insured the car worth 100 grand or so.. )

if you can use a UK insurance broker for the life insurance that same driver has out of work/ life insurance at £200 a year.. hasent needed it yet in 5 years but we will have his money back in a month if it does go wrong... ill get on to him and find out who he is insured with...
    I was away doing a event over seas there two weeks ago.. not a good health system on the island i was on so after a long search on the internet i found travel insurance at 130 euro.. which wasent too bad heres the link http://www.getcover.com/travel_hazardous.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,545 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There is a company doing insurance for adventure type sports here very cheaply. I found then when I looked into hanggliding & paragliding. Id say life insurance for a trackday would be next to nothing. There is little risk involved to be honest and would be a great little earner.
    I dont think there would be anyone offering cover for your car though. Too risky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

afatbollix wrote: »
    prepare to be shafted tho... a driver i co-drive for was given a quote of 30,000 for his car for i think 2 rallys... ( only insured the car worth 100 grand or so.. )

if you can use a UK insurance broker for the life insurance that same driver has out of work/ life insurance at £200 a year.. hasent needed it yet in 5 years but we will have his money back in a month if it does go wrong... ill get on to him and find out who he is insured with...
    I was away doing a event over seas there two weeks ago.. not a good health system on the island i was on so after a long search on the internet i found travel insurance at 130 euro.. which wasent too bad heres the link http://www.getcover.com/travel_hazardous.asp
    mickdw wrote: »
    There is a company doing insurance for adventure type sports here very cheaply. I found then when I looked into hanggliding & paragliding. Id say life insurance for a trackday would be next to nothing. There is little risk involved to be honest and would be a great little earner.
    I dont think there would be anyone offering cover for your car though. Too risky.

Little risk involved? Wrong. Read the policy booklet linked from that Getcover policy - all forms of motor racing are excluded with the exception of rallying (doesn't go into detail either so I wouldn't be too confident that what you think they mean is what they think they mean). And categories 2,3,4 attract an additional premium over and above the already increased "hazardous" premium you're paying.

Insurance companies pay a lot of money for stats and actuaries for a reason. They know the breakdown of payouts and risks better than we do which is why they don't cover track days.

Advertisement