Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entertainment for 16yr old niece in dublin/ July

Options
  • 15-06-2009 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

Hi!

My 16yr old Niece is coming from abroad to spend two weeks in Dublin mid-july.

She comes from a small remote town so Id like to show her some city/crowd scene rather than lovely scenery :)

Any ideas on teen-concerts or open air events. I was thinking of a day at Oxyegn. Ive no idea whats out there for teens. Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Day at Oxegen is a good one, only thing is tickets are €100 each for a day ticket. (Line up http://www.oxegen.ie/2009/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51:line-up&catid=41:line-up-2009&Itemid=174)

A day of shopping maybe, bring her around town and stuff, see all the buskers, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Shopping! Ah yes that is definitely on the list. I was thinking about a trip to the theater too perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

My little sister's that age and she loves going into town and browsing around Temple bar and all the little stalls and shops around George's street and the arcade back there. Funnily enough, a day in the zoo went down a storm with her aswell! (I've no idea how she ended up there but she really liked it!). She likes Captain Americas on Grafton St and Thunder Road cafe and Bad Ass cafe in temple bar, places like that, for food. Are there any concerts on in the Point that you might get tickets to?Oxygen would be good, but the tickets are really expensive, and you'd want to pay for bus tickets too since the traffic is appalling for just a day there.The Bodies exhibition in the Ambassador is running til the end of July if she's into that kind of thing. Try the sea safari aswell, it runs from down on the North Quays somewhere. Check out dublin.ie for events and things that are on that might interest a 16 year old. I'm sure there's probably a good few other websites giving info about free events around the city, there's usually a lot of them in the summer. Oh yeah, this may be a very long shot, but if she has any theories on where she might like to go to college or what she might like to do, you could take her out to whatever one she's interested in. I know it might be a very early for that but if she's interested and has any ideas where she might like to go, then maybe it's an idea to suggest.Not necessarily the historical parts of trinity or anything, just a stroll around, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is a maritime festival on in july. that and other events are listed here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Shopping! Ah yes that is definitely on the list. I was thinking about a trip to the theater too perhaps.

Theatre for a 16 year old? I'd say go to the cinema.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 chappy_chap

Hi!

My 16yr old Niece is coming from abroad to spend two weeks in Dublin mid-july.

She comes from a small remote town so Id like to show her some city/crowd scene rather than lovely scenery :)

Any ideas on teen-concerts or open air events. I was thinking of a day at Oxyegn. Ive no idea whats out there for teens. Help!

what country is she coming from?????

Theatre for a 16 year old? I'd say go to the cinema.;)

I sound boring! but I meant Chicago or Riverdance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

How about taking her to wander around some markets, like the Black Horse Market, or the Cow's Lane Market and then the food market in the Meeting House Square?

http://theblackhorsemarket.com/

http://www.templebar.ie/home_nav_2_t_3_c_11_e_36.html

http://www.templebar.ie/home_nav_2_t_3_c_11_e_34.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

- The Science Gallery in Trinity College

- Lots of art galleries.

- Lots of musicians playing around

- Activity centre in Wicklow, where you can go white-water rafting

If she is from a remote countryside, she has to see something that is not there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The open-topped bus tour is worth doing. I went on it recently with a visiting teen and was surprised myself at how much she enjoyed it. Get the one with a live commentary, not the tape. Maybe the Viking Splash to follow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Farmleigh events are starting next month. Its in the phoenix. The had music events last year that was free. Not sure what type of music though. But its a nice spot in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I've deleted some posts from this thread, ffs lads, grow up

Thanks for all the very usefull information guys!!! I'll be making a plan and going to some of those events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

take her to dinner on the mv cill airne on the liffey. its down at the conference centre. this is their website. is a great different way to have a meal

Thanks for the excellent ideas. Shes arriving in two weeks or so. I think a trip to Croker is on the cards now too! :)

Advertisement