Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lesbian New Zealand--does it exist?!

Options
  • 15-06-2009 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey all

I've lived in Sydney for almost two years and as my visa is running out soon, I was thinking of going to New Zealand.

I was wondering where in New Zealand has a good lesbian scene.....I like the sydney scene but even that is pretty smalll after a while! Would NZ be a bad or good choice?

A few tips from anyone who has been there would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

very little clue, tbh. i know there's a few gaybars around town, but know nothing about any scene bar the music one over here (and i tell you this, it's not really worth moving for ;)).

but then, im in lil old christchurch. bigger cities could be something to look out for...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Where were ya livin, Newtown? I doubt there'll be anything like that in NZ. You'll get small patches but nothing like a whole area/district.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

I had a friend who did well meeting people on nzdating.com

Probably your best way of finding out before you arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I know a few lesbians in Wellington but as far as I know they're isn't a big scene. We have a few male gay friends too and I've never heard of them going to gay bars etc. Although Wellington can be a bit bohemian and is quite liberal so that can only be good. I'd imagine there is a small scene but I haven't heard of it. I can ask around if you like? I'm meeting friends tomorrow that will know about it.

I'm quite impressed with gay rights in NZ in general. I have perm residency because I'm in a de facto relationship with a kiwi. Residency through partnership can also be used for same sex couples which I think is awesome. You certainly wouldn't get that in Ireland. If my partner and I want to move back to Ireland we pretty much have to get married first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I've never met more lesbians than I have in New Zealand. I would say there is a good scene there. A friend of mine has set up an lgbt trust. I'll find out what it is called and post back if it helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I asked my friends last night and apparently the lesbian scene in Wellington is "small and incestous"!. They all know each other and the scene seems pretty active and revolves around gay bars mostly.

Advertisement