Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to rent allowance?

• 15-06-2009 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if I am entitled to Rent Allowance? I'm renting a room in a house (cash in hand) since last September and I'm wondering if I'll be able to claim it and if so, how much? I'm on a contract earning a measly €11 and hour and my rent is €400 which is a quarter of my wages (well more after tax). Any help would be great because I find it hard to get buy especially since my travel to work alone costs so much.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

you wont be entitled to rent allowance but you will be entitled to rent relielf (tax credits)

many people confuse the 2.

Also if your only renting a room €400 probably over the odds in the current market. Id suggest you renegotiate your rent with the owner occupier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

D3PO wrote: »
    you wont be entitled to rent allowance but you will be entitled to rent refield (tax credits)

many people confuse the 2.

Also if your only renting a room €400 probably over the odds in the current market. Id suggest you renegotiate your rent with the owner occupier.
    Rent refield? Do you mean rent relief? I did that last year, I hate the way it just goes to your tax credits.

Well it's a double room with all my bills included (with Sky in my room) so I'm happy with the price, just a bit of help would be nice if possible.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Rent refield? Do you mean rent relief? I did that last year, I hate the way it just goes to your tax credits.

Well it's a double room with all my bills included (with Sky in my room) so I'm happy with the price, just a bit of help would be nice if possible.

Thanks!

Rent allowance is not normally paid to people who are letting rooms in private accommodation- you have to rent a full unit (be it an appartment, house or whatever). I know it doesn't make a lot of sense- particularly if you really don't need a full apartment etc- but its how they do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,451 ✭✭✭✭Victor

smccarrick wrote: »
    Rent allowance is not normally paid to people who are letting rooms in private accommodation- you have to rent a full unit (be it an appartment, house or whatever). I know it doesn't make a lot of sense- particularly if you really don't need a full apartment etc- but its how they do it.
    You don't need to rent a full unit, its available to pretty much everyone. However, I've not specificly heard of it paid to lodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

cpu-dude wrote: »

Thanks!

yep i meant rent relief it was a typo. who wouldnt like a bit of help ? unfortunatly you arent eligible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

D3PO wrote: »
    yep i meant rent relief it was a typo. who wouldnt like a bit of help ? unfortunatly you arent eligible
    No worries, thought it would be worth the ask. Thanks for your help all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I would have thought that you could claim your credits. As an owner occupier myself I declare all income received, even though it comes below the threshold, and did receive rent relief at the end of the tax year myself, when I rented from an owner occupier myself in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fishface

I am looking for some information. I recently applied for rent allowance. I moved to Dublin a few months ago with the hope of finding work. I am living in a one bed apartment with a friend. I know this probably sounds dodgy but he has the bedroom and I have my bedroom space in the large sitting room. At the moment it's fine but obviously not a permanent situation. I cannot afford to move anywhere else with deposit and month in advance. So I have been paying money from my JA everyweek to my friend. The CWO came to visit and said that the situation was not good. And it would look like a couples situation. However she did seem pretty happy leaving and said that she didn't feel like it was a couples situation but that it might not satisfy health regulations or something. I got a letter today from the housing authority saying that I am in a position to provide accommodation from my own resources and have no long term need for Social Housing.
    I am awaiting a reply from my CWO about my situation as she needs to pass on all of the information to her superior and then get back to me on that decision.
    Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement