Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue returns

• 15-06-2009 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

6.30pm tonight
    Wonder will they settle on a particular host or carry on HIGNFY style
    BBC article

Who was the best of the guests? 8 votes

Stephen Fry
    0% 0 votes
    Jack Dee
    25% 2 votes
    Rob Brydon
    75% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yay!

I really hope Stephen Fry considers doing this full time.

Will be listening in anyway.

Thanks for posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

\0/

Game of Mornington Crescent in honour of this anyone?

I propose the Langley-Beaufort (1978) Rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I think I will spoiler this for those going to use Listen Again....
    Very good show, some bellyaches. Hamish and Dougal. Legends. But I dunno if Stephen was trying too hard. I've seen a video clip of Rob Brydon doing it, and, tbh, he looks made for it.

Sh1t I missed it. To the bat-cave or BBC player thingy.

edit, when you try the iPlayer click low-bandwidth option the hi-fi linky no worky.

Okay just finished it, would it wrong to say that Fry sounded like he'd been chairing the show for the previous 50 series? I and DMC appear to disagree on this. Hamish and Dougal was lovely if too brief while Victoria Wood had a rather good mucky pun early on. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I thought it was well...eh...a bit like TV?
    It was engaging enough and funnier than other episodes of Sorry... but it seemed slicker. TV slick. Probably has something to do with instant voice to facial recognition for me.

I'd still prefer to know someone was settling into the chair permanently though...I'd still like to hear Mark Lemar being given a go if they're playing spin the chair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Being honest, I was disappointed with SF - I think he respects the game too much to have the level of disdain needed.

Anyway, looking forward to Rob Brydon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00l0xxg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Enjoyed it, but yeah, Fry did seem a bit reverential. From the clip, Brydon seems perfect, maybe too perfect? Dee, with his shambolic disdain for, well, everything, may yet be the winner.

I don't know what Mark Lemar is up to these days and hope that remains the case

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

MoominPapa wrote: »

I don't know what Mark Lemar is up to these days and hope that remains the case

I don't know either. He had an excellent weekend lunchtime show on BBC2 up to about 4 year ago. He has a very different natural persona than the one he projected on the TV panel gameshows he hosted.

He has a very good radio head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Des wrote: »
    Game of Mornington Crescent in honour of this anyone?

I propose the Langley-Beaufort (1978) Rules.
    With, or without 'punitive NID'?

Well, at least they took my advise and got Stephen Fry in. I reckon it'll take him a couple of shows to settle down.

Dee would be an excellent host too.

• Advertisement

That was an excellent trait Humph had. His world weariness showed. Stephen was too, well, giddy. He's not world weary, everything fascinates him. Jack Dee is has the ho-hum attitude in spades.

I thought the Sven gags were excellent, mind.

Each brings thier own shtick, I'll enjoy each for what they are, not what they are not :)

And after that bland platitude I'll just say Bayswater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I'd almost forgotten to listen until I came to a roundabout near Drogheda with a big signpost for "Mornington"....

A bad ISIHAC is better than a bad..well..anything really.

Blackfriars!

Are we allowing Sideways Lateral?

If so, Bermondsey

Yes...Langley-Beaufort rules.

World's End.

Don't you mean Finsbury Park??

Shepherd's Bush

Well played Des....that was pure class although it does limits my options a bit.

I'll play it safe and say Parsons Green

exaisle wrote: »
    Don't you mean Finsbury Park??

Langley-Beaufort (1978) rules allow a player to nominate a site adjacent or forced lateral away from the underground system.

If we take the reversed perpendicular from Parsons Green...

Tottenham Hale

• Advertisement

Here's something that might interest you...

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/demento/lul.gif

Good God man, there is only one reference map for the London Underground

http://www.afn.org/~alplatt/tubemap.gif

What you posted is a representative diagram.

What I posted is a map showing the actual location of stations (and underground lines) in relation to one another, and to scale.....just for interest.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Can we keep this somewhat on topic please. Discussion of the various merits of London Underground maps, while interesting, only vaguely relates to the topic at hand.

If discussing ISIHAC a game of Mornington Crescent is perfectly acceptable in fact required I would say.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'm not disbuting the game, I'm disbuting the tangent of discussing maps!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Think it's a repeat that's on now.

But unless one has a photographic memory, or an intimate knowledge of the London Underground system, surely a map is essesntial to a game of Mornington Crescent?

While I'm at it...Preston Road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Dan Dare

Missed the darn thing but heard an extract on Pick of the Week, very funny.

• Advertisement

There's a map?

*boggle*

Gospel Oak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Richmond

Well played Bond.

Harrow-on-the-Hill

Wonder why I cant listen to the latest episode?

I thought they were available shortly after they are broadcast...

exaisle wrote: »
    Wonder why I cant listen to the latest episode?

I thought they were available shortly after they are broadcast...

funny - I was thinking the exact same thing, I was hoping your post was a link :)

any reviews?

Ah, it was just a matter of time. Listened to it.

High point was perhaps right at the end....I wont spoil it for you but the guys have wit in a barn dance.

As regards a permanent chairman, I'll have to reserve judgement. I'll be interested to see how Jack Dee fairs out. He might have the kind of deadpan delivery that such a slick script demands.

• Advertisement

Is the new one on demand now?

I'll have a listen later if so.

Heh, Boardeaux got a mention on ISIHAC this week :D

Queen's Bishop to Old Kent Road. Checkmate!

Genius :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I just don't get it.
    I've never listened to it before, but have listened to the last two, and it's not working for me. I wonder are there just too many in jokes?

Part of the problem is that if you have not been listening since you were knee high you won't get quite a bit and the rest of us forget that.

• Advertisement

deRanged wrote: »
    I just don't get it.
    I've never listened to it before, but have listened to the last two, and it's not working for me. I wonder are there just too many in jokes?
    mike65 wrote: »
    Part of the problem is that if you have not been listening since you were knee high you won't get quite a bit and the rest of us forget that.

Hmm.

I found the show about 18 Months ago when I got my Internet Radio with On-Demand. I was hooked immediately tbh. I'm 29 now, so certainly haven't been listening since I was small.

Then BBC R7 was playing some old-episodes, so I listened to them and got more into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

deRanged wrote: »
    I just don't get it.

I would prescribe a dose of Just a Minute once a day for seven days, after food. Once the course has been completed take one episode of the new series of ISIHAC once a week, until all episodes have been consumed. Supplementary doses of archived episodes may be taken as seen fit.

Any nasty rashes of "not getting it" should have cleared up without leaving any scares and a general sense of well being should permeate both mind and body

Uxbridge

I hope to have all of the episodes up to 2006 shortly....

PM me for details.

So Jack Dee then? While I was hoping it would be Rob Brydon this week, I really enjoyed Jack Dee. Very like Humph :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dumac

I heard the opening show with SF. He was a bit reverential. Jack Dee would have a bit more of that deadpan aloofness of Humph.

The innuendoes don't seem to work as well either when it's Stephen and Sven rather than Humph and Samantha.

I thought Jack Dee sounded all too obviously scripted, although up to Sunday he would have been the one I felt most likely to get the job full time.
    A little less reverence would probably go down well.
    SF would probably go down well too.... ;-)
    Maybe JD will be better next week.

Are we being unfair in expecting a new presenter to in some ways impersonate Humph? That's a rather large ask. Better perhaps to allow a new presenter to bring their own personality to the party and make the chairman's seat their own.

It will never be the same without Humph, it will just be different. Certainly no better, hopefully no worse.

I thought Dee was better than Fry.

His deadpan delivery suits the show much better than Fry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Dee/Fry not sure, both seemed to be trying to hard and just not getting the point. Dee seemed better in one respect that he more authority but spoilt it by trying to be too straight. But really no ones going to be perfect, don't forget the script writers were churning out stuff for the same chairman for donkeys years and now what should they do write to the strengths of the new chairman or write just as if Humph was still in the seat?

I did have one really stupid thought to day when I was listening to "look back now" - Garry Richardson, now he's an appology for an innuendo before you start and talk about a guy who really needs a "Clue".

Just listening back "on demand", one song to the tune of another was inspired this week. Psycho Killer scans remarkably well to the tune of Ruler of the Queens Navy by Gilbert and Sullivan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement