Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue returns

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yep, had a good laugh at that myself.

The part where Jack Dee gave the wrong song/tune to someone was also very funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

exaisle wrote: »

Are we being unfair in expecting a new presenter to in some ways impersonate Humph? That's a rather large ask. Better perhaps to allow a new presenter to bring their own personality to the party and make the chairman's seat their own.

I was thinking about this, and I thnk it's because, out of context, the games are quite purile, so you need the host to have a touch of disdain for the whole proceedings. That way, you're not laughing at stupid puns, you're laughing at the disdain shown by the chairman TO the puns, if that makes any sense. Don't get me wrong, I laugh like a drain throughout the whole show, but Humph being all imperious made it all the sweeter....

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dumac

Spot on, tbh.

It's funny how Nicholas Parsons works really well on "Just a Minute" (very different game, I know) because he gets really into it and he's a bit of an old-fashioned git, and he occasionally gets into the innuendo too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Spot on, TBH....nicely put. The disdain that Humph showed for the games and the show in general, is the key. I think we had interpreted Humph's dry tone as being just that...dry, but TBH has hit the nail on the head. Humph acted as if he had wandered into the wrong studio and was obliging somebody by staying for the show.

Both JD and SF have shown too much reverence. What it needs is somebody who behaves as if he would really rather be elsewhere....that he's got something better to be doing.

From that perspective....who could we suggest? I'm sorry...I havent a clue!

What it needs is somebody who behaves as if he would really rather be elsewhere....that he's got something better to be doing.

Why do we want a Humph impersonator?

I don't.

Nobody can be Humph, and that's a good thing. I've laughed as much as ever at the new series, isn't that the point?

It took so long for people to agree to "step into Humph's shoes",when all the while all we wanted was another chairman. Now we have three new chairmen.

What would actually be nice, would be some new games, let the new chairmen get a personality of their own.

Stop comparing the new fellas to Humph, because that will always result in disappointment. "oh but SF/JD/RB did it this way, Humph did it that way, I preferred Humph"

Of course you preferred Humph, he is the reason we are discussing this. But Humph is gone (:() . Let the new guys put their own mark on it.

Now, I'm shunting Northwards and taking a Queen's Corgi Method (Paragraph four (4) if you must know :rolleyes:) and saying Mile End

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Spot on, TBH....nicely put. The disdain that Humph showed for the games and the show in general, is the key. I think we had interpreted Humph's dry tone as being just that...dry, but TBH has hit the nail on the head. Humph acted as if he had wandered into the wrong studio and was obliging somebody by staying for the show.

Both JD and SF have shown too much reverence. What it needs is somebody who behaves as if he would really rather be elsewhere....that he's got something better to be doing.

From that perspective....who could we suggest? I'm sorry...I havent a clue!

afaik Humph used to arrive at the venue with just enough time to read through the script on his own and then he'd leave a soon as the show ended. So you might say it was a real life performance.

As far as a replacement goes anyone who is or thinks of themself as a comedian probably need not apply. Excentrics only, and don't forget anyone who thinks they are excentric isn't excentric ;)

How about someone completely aloof like John Cleese (funny guy but not someone who is just a comedian)

Des wrote: »
    Why do we want a Humph impersonator?

I don't.

Nobody can be Humph, and that's a good thing. I've laughed as much as ever at the new series, isn't that the point?

It took so long for people to agree to "step into Humph's shoes",when all the while all we wanted was another chairman. Now we have three new chairmen.

What would actually be nice, would be some new games, let the new chairmen get a personality of their own.

Stop comparing the new fellas to Humph, because that will always result in disappointment. "oh but SF/JD/RB did it this way, Humph did it that way, I preferred Humph"

Of course you preferred Humph, he is the reason we are discussing this. But Humph is gone (:() . Let the new guys put their own mark on it.

We want a Humph impersonator because the show was Humph + of course 4 comdians at the top of their profession.

If a new chairman doesn't do a good impersonation then they have to do their own thing and very quickly establish a unique style and there own "in" jokes which isn't going to happen with this changing around of chairman. The whole show is built around "in" jokes where the audience know the tag line even before the joke is told but laugh anyway, so why I want to know don't they invite Mrs Trellis to be chairman?

Unfortunately, Cleese lives in Montecito, California.....doubt if he'd be ar**d.

However, that probably makes him ideal for the job.....

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dumac

mike65 wrote: »
    Just listening back "on demand", one song to the tune of another was inspired this week. Psycho Killer scans remarkably well to the tune of Ruler of the Queens Navy by Gilbert and Sullivan.

Just heard this afternoon's repeat and psycho killer was excellent. The one to the dambusters tune was also quite good

Dee isnt bad but yeh he feels scripted. Next they'll be trying out Will Self, so maybe Cleese should be contacted immediately with a big cash offer or they should scrap the cynical/aloof approach altogether and use Billy connolly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 noiseannoys

Yep, that's the first full show of the post-Humph era that I caught and I was pretty impressed. Dee threw in a few asides that I'd say were his own. After a while I think one'd get over the Humph (lack of) because of the overall show. All the points I most enjoyed today were already mentioned above and there's the added bonus of having had enough of RTE and Newstalk by mid-day :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

i thought Dee was excellent on yesterday's show. He can come across as scripted I suppose, but that's his style as much as anything. As for disdain, very few people do disdain better than Jack Dee :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just a gentle heads up that BBC 4 are screening

Legends
    Humphrey Lyttelton
    A profile of the jazz musician, band leader and broadcaster Humphrey Lyttelton.

on Sunday 11 pm.

I'm interested to hear what the verdict was on Rob Brydon.

My view is that RB was surprisingly good....

I listened a bit earlier, I enjoyed the rounds esp the alternate words. Brydon was fine, I'm reluctant to say more or I'll just fall into the "but not as good as Humph" trap. He was fine, maybe a bit stiff at times :)

I'm interested to hear what the verdict was on Rob Brydon.

My view is that RB was surprisingly good....

Would have been nice to hear it on the first broadcast but """"blooody"""" cricket on Radio 4 LW prevented any chance of that. I would listen online but 64k ISDN dialup does seem an expensive way to listen ;)

• Advertisement

I liked Brydon.

I don't like Phil Jupitus though.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm not normally a huge fan of his, but I thought Rob Brydon was by far the best (and most naturally Humph-like) of the guest presenters. I loved the way, after the first round, he sighed, "There, that's the first round over..."

Croc-o-diaaaaaaaaaaal sho-hooss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Thats all 6 done now, more in the autumn.

I really liked Rob Brydon, I hope Tim's dig at the end of the last show wasn't actually a portent for him not returning!

I knew Brydon would be good, but Jack Dee did surpass my expectations. As for Phill Jupitus, I did like his impression of Sting. :)

One gripe.... drop the computer voice from the next game of Mornington Crescent. It was funny only once.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I thought Brydon's material was too lewd for the the show. I wouldn't be a prim prude at all and I do enjoy a good knob joke as much as the next man but there's a place for it and a place not for it. Just thought he had too much sexual innuendo directed material.

I thought Dee about the best from that bunch. Least favourite was PJ.

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    I thought Brydon's material was too lewd for the the show. I wouldn't be a prim prude at all and I do enjoy a good knob joke as much as the next man but there's a place for it and a place not for it. Just thought he had too much sexual innuendo directed material.

I know what you mean - I howled with laughter at some of the stuff, but did wonder if maybe they were pushing it a little. Especially the bit about the archivist tossing himself off after seeing Samantha beaver up a ladder. Superb :)

I thought Dee about the best from that bunch. Least favourite was PJ.

I'd be the same. Rob was good, but Jack was perfect. PJ is a bit too cool for school if you know what I mean, he seems to be very popular among other comics, I just don't find him that funny tho.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Fully agree TBH it was very funny. I was just left scratching the nog after listening and thinking to myself...hmmm a bit too often and strong for that show.

I'd vote for Bob Brydon, the humour isn't anything we didn't hear from Humph.

Can anyone be bothered to do a pole?

Samatha has been at the hub of worse than last nights quip.
    As is customary, Samantha spent some time down in the gramaphone library earlier, fetching the hit singles she's chosen. She's become quite friendly with the two elderly archivists, Jack and Arthur. They've recently gone part time, so Samantha's come to a working arrangement - she does the paperwork, Arthur gets her 45s out and Jack's off all afternoon.
    Samantha spent many hours in conversation with the BBC gramaphone library research staff for this round, deliberating over the fine old 7 inchers they presented for inspection. She says before deciding which she was going to spin she had to think about each one long and hard.

and so on!

ttm wrote: »
    I'd vote for Bob Brydon, the humour isn't anything we didn't hear from Humph.

done :)

No Atari Jaguar, I refuse to vote. :(

ttm wrote: »

Samantha?
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

As for Sound Charades and Lionel Blair... they are never anything but near to the nuckle.

This week's was a classic.... Una Stubbs eyes popped out on stalks when Lionel was on his knees with the Naked Civil Servant, trying so hard to succeed.

It appears that Jack Dee got the job....for the next series anyhow. I would have preferred Rob Brydon, but Dee was a close second, imho.

I suppose the upside is that it leaves Rob Brydon free to be an occasional guest and not restricted by the shackles of chairmanship....

It appears that Jack Dee got the job....for the next series anyhow. I would have preferred Rob Brydon, but Dee was a close second, imho.

I suppose the upside is that it leaves Rob Brydon free to be an occasional guest and not restricted by the shackles of chairmanship....

Jack Dee was on Jonathon Ross a few weeks ago and said he's gotten it permanently.

• Advertisement

Anyone been listening to the new series? Finishing next week.

I loved episode's three and four.

I also think Jack Dee is doing a great job.

I wasn't even aware it was back and gone :(

mike65 wrote: »
    I wasn't even aware it was back and gone :(

Get on the iPlayer, but I warn you, Jo poxy Brand is the guest this week.

We've had Rob Brydon and David Mitchell previously, twice each iirc.

Des wrote: »
    Get on the iPlayer, but I warn you, Jo poxy Brand is the guest this week.

We've had Rob Brydon and David Mitchell previously, twice each iirc.

Jack Dee has been good, in fact whole show has been so embarassingly good it almost sounds like its been rehearsed.

Hmmmmm? Jo poxy (I better go and wash my mouth out) Brand was good, she does seem to be the one thats pushing the envolope a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭auerillo

It's not the same without Humph and I think the show is a shadow of its former self. It comes over now as if everyone is trying too hard, and for me the show just doesn't work as well without Humph.

While the show has always been rehearsed, now it seems over rehearsed and comes over as being rehersed, and Jack Dee's delivery of Iain Pattinson's lines lack the finesse and apparant bewilderment that made Humph such an integral part of the show.

Who can ever forget Humph's wonderful inflection and innuendos, and there were times I ended up having to hang on to the kitchen sink i was laughing so much.

"...and who can forget the look on Una Stubbs face as Lionel Blair tried to pull of 12 angry men in under 2 minutes...."

I like Jack Dee, but find myself no longer compelled to listen to the show, and often find I don't listen to it anymore.

"....pull off 12 angry men..."! :)

Dee does a decent job, no point comparing him or anyone with Humph. I'm sure if JD sticks with it it'll gradually be shaped by him bit by bit.

It's back again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭jacaranda

I have been a listener to this show since about 1980 and,, together with Just A Minute, consider it to be one of the gems of radio.

Since Humphrey Lylleton died, I haven't enjoyed it much. Maybe it seems too rehearsed? Maybe it seems they are all trying to hard to keep the show going rather than enjoying it. Maybe Ian Pattison's script suited Humphrey Lylleton and doesn't suit Jack Dee.

It sounds to me as if the jollity is now forced, and not erudite and relaxed.

Certainly, i don't enjoy it as much as I once did, and now do the previously unthinkable and don't mind if I miss it altogether.

• Advertisement

jacaranda wrote: »
    I have been a listener to this show since about 1980 and,, together with Just A Minute, consider it to be one of the gems of radio.

Since Humphrey Lylleton died, I haven't enjoyed it much. Maybe it seems too rehearsed? Maybe it seems they are all trying to hard to keep the show going rather than enjoying it. Maybe Ian Pattison's script suited Humphrey Lylleton and doesn't suit Jack Dee.

It sounds to me as if the jollity is now forced, and not erudite and relaxed.

Certainly, i don't enjoy it as much as I once did, and now do the previously unthinkable and don't mind if I miss it altogether.

could not agree more. I don't hate the new show or anything, but...

Great to hear Hamish and Dougal make an appearance plus some rather good alternative defintions and a splendid Bob Dylan

You'll Have Had Your Tea? (shocking thin sound but stick with it)

Here is a much better audio clip (sadly no download *cough*)

http://smellslikedeadlobster.xanga.com/audio/02c671636485

Hilarious.

Monogamy - celebrating New Year in Scotland by yourself

The two most recent editons are here, plus an oldie with Kenny Everett.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qnwb

Advertisement