Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamer numbers?

Options
  • 15-06-2009 3:03pm
    Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

I'm really sorry if this one is too general but does anyone have any figures on online gaming usage in ireland today? Ive googled it hundreds of different ways to no avail? I know its a difficult one to measure but if anyone has even comparitive data it would be a great help.

Can anyone point me to anything useful?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

If we try get the information, do we get free fast BB? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

You could see if you can find info about demographics of users on Steam. If you can't you could contact Valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You could try emailing Gabe Newell or Robin Walker over at valve. They might be cheerful enough to oblige you with their Irish figures. Similarly you could ping an email to the Xbox Live people.

Im afraid though with all the different ways people play online (MMOs, Steam, Battle.net(ancient yet functioning!), EA, etc) you will have to do a bit of digging. I doubt eircom/bt/etc or anyone is that able to discern which are gaming packets and which are not. Though I could be wrong about that.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

true gents, and gentesses.....ill pass that one on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Not sure if they would play ball but ya could give Microsoft's and Sony's Irish offices a call and see if they give a rough estimate of how many accounts are made in Ireland. Large chance of being hung-up on though.

If your after Windows and Mac gamers, try Xfire (dunno if its on Macs). You can sort by game and maybe by region too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I've written about this before. IF I recall correctly was asked to get numbers by the section editor, but trying to get firm numbers or even estimates from games companies -- as I knew it would be -- was like trying to get blood out of a stone.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

thanks again guys, really appreciate this stuff.

Advertisement