Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra marathon down ...just Half Ironman and Sub 3 Marathon to go

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

unbelievable results , reading your report its seems like you were very comfortable up as far as mile 20 or so , well dine again , you must be delighted , where to now goal wise ?

was just checkin out results there , your DCM running partner came in third irish female i see , claire mc carthy , 2:48:58 , made the summary results page , i am sure you can take some credit for that , acting as pacer and all ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Carb wrote: »
    Oh what a PC bunch we have on here, falling over over each other in the their rush to express their congratulations when what they really want to say is; what are you going to do next and when is the log going to start.

Congratulations BTW:D. A fantastic time and a brilliant way to finish off a super year. Your log has been an inspiration and you are living proof that there is not such thing as not enough hours in the day.

Kind words Carb. Cheers. Not sure about another log in this format but maybe some other blog type.
    I'll be following your with interest ;)

I imagine this is massively significant in your improvement.

4kg yes definately. Would love to trim another 2-3kg off by spring
    Seres wrote: »
    unbelievable results , reading your report its seems like you were very comfortable up as far as mile 20 or so , well dine again , you must be delighted , where to now goal wise ?

Rest for a couple of weeks! No running Was hoping to do the Wickoow 5k on 26th Dec but we have decided to head to UK for the Christmas. Going to suss out a race over there though as I need a short term goal.

As I was not successful for London it looks like a spring marathon in Cyprus in mid March. If all goes well there'll be a tricolour on the podium that day.
    4 weeks later I intend to be lining up in the Conn Ultra again.
    My winter training will be geared towards the Ultra though.

After that tri season starts. Hopefully a HIM (weather permitting this time!) but some people are now saying maybe I should stick just with the running totally and do some proper running training.

Seres wrote: »
    was just checkin out results there , your DCM running partner came in third irish female i see , claire mc carthy , 2:48:58 , made the summary results page , i am sure you can take some credit for that , acting as pacer and all ! :)

It worked both ways for us. No doubt about it.

Abhainn wrote: »

After that tri season starts. Hopefully a HIM (weather permitting this time!) but some people are now saying maybe I should stick just with the running totally and do some proper running training. .
    god i have the very same delemma myself , am torn between the two sport , in winter tend to focus on running and then as the summer approached i get the itch for the tris again .
    best of luck anyway with the training , onwards and upwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Jeez that race report was some read. Thanks for that A and a heart congrats on what you achieved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

but some people are now saying maybe I should stick just with the running totally and do some proper running training.

Have you any thoughts on what could be achieved if you did this or are you expecting to hit a plateau very shortly.

Have you any thoughts on what could be achieved if you did this or are you expecting to hit a plateau very shortly.

In the lifecycle of a runner I have not been done this very long. I've been very lucking as I've seen a linear improvement in 2.5 years I'm doing this and PB'd in nearly every race.

Earlier in the summer I hoped someday if I put a lot of work in I would be good for a 1:20 HM. My best up to that was 1:24. A 1:18 4 weeks ago put that target to bed fairly quickly Now ? I guess I should be aspiring to a sub 1:15. That would be some feat. We'll see.

I thought maybe a 2:53 or so would be realistic target for the full at some point. I never even dreamed of a 2:47. I'll be lying to say I haven't got the ability to go quicker. The marathon is a beast but a sub 2:45 may be something to aim for some day.

If you had a crystal ball and told me I'd was almost reaching my peak now Id probably find it extremely hard to find the motivation to train. What drives me is the desire to go quicker, to find out what is the maximum I can get out of this enginer. And I want to enjoy finding out.
    I'm 38 today, hopefully I've got a couple of improving years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

In the lifecycle of a runner I have not been done this very long. I've been very lucking as I've seen a linear improvement in 2.5 years I'm doing this and PB'd in nearly every race.

Earlier in the summer I hoped someday if I put a lot of work in I would be good for a 1:20 HM. My best up to that was 1:24. A 1:18 4 weeks ago put that target to bed fairly quickly Now ? I guess I should be aspiring to a sub 1:15. That would be some feat. We'll see.

I thought maybe a 2:53 or so would be realistic target for the full at some point. I never even dreamed of a 2:47. I'll be lying to say I haven't got the ability to go quicker. The marathon is a beast but a sub 2:45 may be something to aim for some day.

If you had a crystal ball and told me I'd was almost reaching my peak now Id probably find it extremely hard to find the motivation to train. What drives me is the desire to go quicker, to find out what is the maximum I can get out of this enginer. And I want to enjoy finding out.
    I'm 38 today, hopefully I've got a couple of improving years to come

Well you're the best judge of what you engine can do, and given what has been achieved in such a short space of time, you have good reason to expect many more PBs.

I have to say, from a personal prespective, been 29 myself and only really developing an interest in this now, you achievements are a massive motivation for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

I have to say, from a personal prespective, been 29 myself and only really developing an interest in this now, you achievements are a massive motivation for me.

+1 on that..

Abhainn, can I ask what was the thinking behind the fast paced runs the day before doing your long runs?? Was that to get u moving a bit quicker over the Long Runs, or was it to get a big distance covered over them weekends to prepare you for the 26 miles..??
    (Lot of people may be annoying you in future over your training log:):)!!)

Great marathon time btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Happy Birthday Abhainn :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Wow Abhainn savage report and a fantastic achievement!

Must go thru ur ;og someday in detail. Fantastic! O and Happy Birthday :-)

"For the level of conditon that I have now, that was without doubt the hardest physical thing I have ever done" Lance Armstrong .

Armstrong finishes 2006 NYC Marathon in under 3 hrs: 2:59:36.

For some reason this was my motivation since Sep 2008. It is printed directly over my two PC screens. He had 4 pace makers and had just won his 7th Tour De France in 2005 but this drove me.
    In 2007 he ran 2:46:43.
    TJC wrote: »

Abhainn, can I ask what was the thinking behind the fast paced runs the day before doing your long runs?? Was that to get u moving a bit quicker over the Long Runs, or was it to get a big distance covered over them weekends to prepare you for the 26 miles..??
    (Lot of people may be annoying you in future over your training log:):)!!)

No problem TJC. If I can be of help.
    Actually the pace run before the long run is directly from Hal Higdon marathon training plans Intermediate up to Advanced

Advertisement