Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buffy really was a great show

• 15-06-2009 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

So a few weeks ago I dug out my Buffy DVDs after they spent around 7 years in the top of my wardrobe. My girlfriend's friend was really getting into it and telling my gf about it which got her interested and I wanted to watch them again so we started going through them. On season 3 now and have to saw that with the exception of some things in season 1 and/or early season 2 that show has really aged well.

If anyone else out there hasn't watched the show in a few years and thinking of watching them, it's well worth it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Having watch all 5 seasons of Angel, I decided on watching Buffy. I always seemed to miss/forget Buffy when it was shown on BBC2 on Friday nights.

Am halfway through Season 4 and am getting a bit worried about Willow ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

To be fair I think the Buffy peaked in the season when Angel was evil. After that it got frustrating to watch as she cried and whinged her way all through to the end of the series. I stopped enjoying it completely when Damn came into it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah I loved this series and angel too, good watching as a youngster, and of course had a thing for buffy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

God, i loved buffy! After watching it i used to feel like a major disappointment to the world, i can't fight evil vampires with those moves... But i can pretend i can. Alone. In my room. And knock things over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Scráib wrote: »
    To be fair I think the Buffy peaked in the season when Angel was evil. After that it got frustrating to watch as she cried and whinged her way all through to the end of the series. I stopped enjoying it completely when Damn came into it.

Season 2 had some of the best moments, but some of the worst episodes. Season 3 doesn't have as many highpoints but it's a lot more consistent.

And come on, Faith was bad ass...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

nah,was a good ass. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

We're up as far as season 4 of Buffy and season 1 of Angel now (disc 3 of each season). Still 2 really good shows. I forgot a lot of them over the last few years :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Onto Season 5 of Buffy now. Am watching 3 or 4 episodes a day. But I can stop whenever I want too. :pac:

Last night
    Joyce died. Very sad and well acted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

galactus wrote: »
    Last night
    Joyce died. Very sad and well acted.

Followed by the first ever lesbian kiss on American network tv.

Don't forget to read Buffy: Season 8, Angel: After the Fall and Spike: After the Fall Once you're done with the tv series. They do continue things quite nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Have to say, the Buffy S8 comics are considerably better than the actual show's last season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I really rate Season 2 and Season 3 as some of the best television I have ever seen. I think creatively the storyline of the show was at its' strongest in both these seasons as I don't think there is one episode that I didn't like (except for Bad Eggs, awful).

Season 4 was a bit underwhelming, I think the main reason for this is that the "Big Bad" (Adam/The Initiative) weren't as strong as previous Big Bads such as Spike/Dru, Angel, Faith, The Mayor and The Master. I couldn't get emotionally involved in the storyline because that all depended on you caring for a new character (Riley), whom I couldn't care for.

Season 5 was a somewhat return to form, a bit patchy but certainly better than Season 4. A better villain and a better storyline can make the world of difference. :pac: Plus, The Gift is probably one of my favourite episodes, if not THE favourite episode of mine. The Body and Forever are Buffy classics too.

Season 6 would have been a lot better if the villains were stronger. I wouldn't have minded seeing
    evil Willow take centre stage much earlier (ala Angel turning bad midway through S2). The trio were probably the weakest villains that the show ever had.
    That being said, I do understand that the storyline of Season 6 was all about Buffy more so than about the villains.

Season 7, well, I didn't much care for it. It felt like Joss Whedon was just saying to his straight male audience "Hey, thanks for sticking with the show for so long, but this last season is just for the females so do you mind ****ing off?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Buffy was one of the greatest, most innovative series ever. And it was funny, never took itself too seriously, which was what put it above any other teen show. In fact it soon ceased to be simply a teen show and grew with its characters, introducing adult themes and ideas. It stayed consistently high-quality.

On a separate note, why are spoilers still being blacked out on this thread? I can understand it if a series hasn't been shown yet on terrestrial television, or is fairly recent and hasn't been released on DVD, but Buffy has been over for about 5 years, how many people haven't seen the series already? What is the statute of limitations on spoilers? It seems ludicrous to me that people are being protected from finding out any information that might spoil their enjoyment of a show that finished a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Season 6 would have been a lot better if the villains were stronger. ......That being said, I do understand that the storyline of Season 6 was all about Buffy more so than about the villains.

Whedon has said that he specifically chose some fairly pathetic villains for season 6 as the real "big bad" was life itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

iguana wrote: »
    Whedon has said that he specifically chose some fairly pathetic villains for season 6 as the real "big bad" was life itself.

That does make sense, I do find S6 to be the most depressing season in the entire Season. Willow was being corrupted by the temptation around her. Same for Buffy and Spike. Even for Xander too.

Advertisement