Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

brake pads and fluid

• 15-06-2009 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi

Quick question - i let me car in to have the brake pads changed this morning and they rang me to say they need to chage the fluid as well - now they charged me €60 to change the pads and 30 for the brake fluid - is that expensive for the changing of brake fluid !!!

also they told a left caliper would need to be replaced soon Is this a big jobs ? ?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

€30 is not bad to change the fluid (especially at Irish hourly rates).
    Did you supply the pads?

Whats wrong with the caliper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Cheap tbh. Is it a small common car. Must be if they supplied the pads too for that figure

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭rocally

its a fiesta yeah - Its a new garage so taught id give them a go - - they said the seal on the caliper is broke if that makes sense !!!!

All in all it was €93 for change of brake fluid - new pads and fitting and tightening of hand brake - so very happy to be fair

Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

i'd consider that very cheap, considering the brakes have to be bleed aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

rocally wrote: »
    its a fiesta yeah - Its a new garage so taught id give them a go - - they said the seal on the caliper is broke if that makes sense !!!!

All in all it was €93 for change of brake fluid - new pads and fitting and tightening of hand brake - so very happy to be fair

Thanks for the replies

If the seal on the caliper is damaged then it needs to be replaced now, not down the road...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

job sounds cheap to me, but the caliper will cost more, I would guess around 100-150 for the part + labor.

And if the seal starts to give more trouble, then someday it might either start to leak the brake fluid or even worse, the piston gets stuck and then your brake pads will be on constant contact with the brake disc. So expect smoke and smell of burning brakes and it will destroy both brake pads and disc if you are unlucky.

So better fix it soon, that would be my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Darragh29 wrote: »
    If the seal on the caliper is damaged then it needs to be replaced now, not down the road...

He'll be down the road by the time he stops.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Id b getting the caliper done now if its the actual seal on the brake piston and not just a perished dust cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 poxx

sounds cheap allright. Too cheap in my mind, did they just suck out old fluid and refill resivour? as bmw charge €200 for fluid change and it is just as easy on a bmw as it is on a fiesta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭evogirl

get the caliper done as soon as you can. the seal went on mine and it was too late before i noticed. had to replace caliper, pads and disc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement