Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvesting spuds

Options
  • 15-06-2009 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

How do you know when potatoes are ready to be harvested? I can't quite remember when I planted them. If the shoots flower, am I too late?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

You have to wait until they have finished flowering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭silversurfer

With earlies: wait until flowers open or the buds drop. Then carefully remove soil from a small part of the ridge and have a look at the tubers. They are ready for harvesting as new potatoes then they are the size of eggs (like hens eggs).

With maincrops: for storage cut off the haulm once the foliage has turned brown and the stems have withered. Remove the cut Haulm (stalk of potato plant) and wait 10 days, then lift the roots and let the tubers dry for several hours. Place them in a wooden box and store in a dark, frost-free shed and they should keep until the spring.

Advertisement