Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotts Porage Oats

Options
  • 15-06-2009 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

anyone able to tell me somewhere in Ireland that i can get some good Scotts Porage Oats, PLEASE:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

does anyone even know if i can get it up North, Newry or Enniskillen??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Do you mean Porridge Oats as in rolled Oats?
    Flavahans do a very nice organic porridge oatmeal.
    Most good supermarkets should have them?

14e54ec.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sorry can't help there, never even seen that brand here.
    How are they different?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Sorry can't help there, never even seen that brand here.
    How are they different?
    i don't know how they are different as i have never sampled any others, all i can say is these are delightful and are the ones i will always go for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭filmifan

About four months ago, they were having an amazing sale of boxes of Scott's Porage Oats, for 50 cents a bag. That's not a typo, I swear. And it was a proper sized box, too. We only bought two boxes, because we'd never heard of Scott's Porage before (I even thought the word 'porage' was spelled wrong - I've never seen it spelled any other way besides 'porridge'), and we had no idea if we'd like it...not that there's much difference in how one porridge tastes from another...or so we thought!

I have always loved porridge. Always. Since I was a kid. I've mostly liked Flahavan's over any other brand (I think theirs tastes less processed than Odlum's or Quaker Oats). But never in all my porridge-loving years have I tasted anything (in the way of porridge, I mean) as amazing, as delicious, as Scott's Porage. Silky smooth tasting...like velvet on a spoon. It was so delicious that - I kid you not - this winter, with all the horrible cold weather and never-ending snow, all I wanted to eat each morning, as well as each lunchtime, and also as a sweet after dinner (no...I didn't have it for dinner:), but it wouldn't have been rejected, if that's all that was on offer).

So yes...there definitely is a huge difference between Scott's Porage and any other porridge I have ever eaten. To go back to Flahavan's now is kind of a letdown. I've even tried the organic stuff in the health food shops, as well as Odlum's that promises to be smooth and creamy tasting. But, as Sinead once sang in that Prince song, 'nothing compares to....Scott's Porage.' For those of you who've never had it, you won't believe anything I've written here until and unless you've tried it yourself. Even you die-hard, super loyal Flahavan's traditionalists out there (I was one of those, myself, not too long ago).

The tragedy of this whole thing is that those boxes of Scott's Porage they got in at Eurospar that week were just a one-off. A guy came around with lots of discontinued stuff or over-orders of stuff from supermarkets up in Northern Ireland (possibly ASDA in Enniskillen, maybe?) and these precious few boxes of Scott's Porage were amongst the stuff he had on offer to whichever supermarket wanted to take them. In our town's case here, Eurospar won out over SuperValu. Which isn't to say that maybe somewhere else in Ireland, some SuperValu branch might have Scott's.

Since then, cold mornings just haven't been the same. When I long for porridge, I know that it's going to have to be either Odlum's or Flahavan's or, perish the thought, Lidl's brand of something that they try to pass off as porridge (but it isn't, believe me). None of them come even remotely close to Scott's Porage. If I could find some supermarket somewhere in Ireland (preferably west of the Shannon, where I am) I'd buy about 20 boxes of the stuff, just to have and to keep for as long as possible. I doubt I'd ever be lucky enough to get them for 50 cents a box, but I'd be happy enough even if they were a euro or two per box. That's how much I miss my beloved Scott's Porage.

Has anyone found it anywhere and want to share? Go on...don't horde it all for yourselves. Share the love...and share the gorgeous porridge...I mean, porage (it still looks weird to me being spelled that way, but I don't mind one little bit, if it tastes as gorgeous as it did three months ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dinelli

I have purchased it many times in Sainsburys up north

Sainsbury's? Where / how far up north would I have to go? Jaysus, I sound like Gollum trying to find 'his precioussssssss'! I'm about an hour and a half's drive south of Enniskillen. So nowhere here in the Republic carries it (besides that one-off at the Eurospar a few months back)? Say it isn't so! I really was hoping that either Tesco's or SuperValu in Dublin would carry it - especially Tesco's, as that's a UK-based/UK originated chain.

Thanks Dinelli, for the info. At least now I know I wasn't just imagining that I'd eaten this amazing stuff.

Oh yeah...I forgot to ask you, Dinelli, about your thoughts on Scott's Porage. Do you think it's better than any other porridge you've eaten, or not much difference in taste and texture (which I'd find hard to believe, but I guess it's possible).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

filmifan wrote: »
    Sainsbury's? Where / how far up north would I have to go? Jaysus, I sound like Gollum trying to find 'his precioussssssss'! I'm about an hour and a half's drive south of Enniskillen.
    The third one down here is probably your nearest so. Is Sainsburys much more expensive than Asda?

Sainsbury's or Asda...I'm not bothered about the price difference, to be honest. Probably one will be cheaper or dearer by a few cents (or would that be pence...yeah, it'd be pence, as it's NI), but either way, it won't break the bank. I'd be happy to pay whatever price they were asking (well...as long as it's not outrageous, of course), and I won't fool myself into thinking that just because I bought them for 50 cents a box at our local Eurospar means that that's the going rate for them everywhere else. I'd be happy as Larry to shell out even two euros...emmm...a quid and change, I mean...for one box. And I'd buy much more than one box, believe me. I'd take at least 5 boxes with me back down south.

I'm still wondering if the Asda in Enniskillen might carry it on a regular basis. If anyone reading this is living near Enniskillen or in Enniskillen itself and shops there, or knows someone who shops there, it'd be brilliant if I could find out for definite if it's sold there. If it is, then that's where we'll go in our quest for the perfect porage.

Thanks for the info, MASTER of the Bra (very cool log-on name, btw).

Sainsbury's or Asda...I'm not bothered about the price difference, to be honest. Probably one will be cheaper or dearer by a few cents (or would that be pence...yeah, it'd be pence, as it's NI), but either way, it won't break the bank. I'd be happy to pay whatever price they were asking (well...as long as it's not outrageous, of course), and I won't fool myself into thinking that just because I bought them for 50 cents a box at our local Eurospar means that that's the going rate for them everywhere else. I'd be happy as Larry to shell out even two euros...emmm...a quid and change, I mean...for one box. And I'd buy much more than one box, believe me. I'd take at least 5 boxes with me back down south.

I'm still wondering if the Asda in Enniskillen might carry it on a regular basis. If anyone reading this is living near Enniskillen or in Enniskillen itself and shops there, or knows someone who shops there, it'd be brilliant if I could find out for definite if it's sold there. If it is, then that's where we'll go in our quest for the perfect porage.

Thanks for the info, MASTER of the Bra (very cool log-on name, btw).
    GOOD NEWS PORAGE FANS!!!:)
    I checked last night (2 nights ago now!) and I seen it on the Asda website. I was up yesterday (enniskillen) and yup they have them in aisle 23 for £1.51 or €1.75, bottom shelf. Quakers own Scotts now just so you know.

I don't like porridge (I don't think:o) but bought it because of the raving filmifan review above. Have to try.

My username?....lot of thought went into that:D. Good story behind it.

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing the info (and the porage love) with the rest of us who need a porage fix. I will definitely be making the trip up there soon, then. Pretty reasonable price, too, so I'll be making the most of the distance travelled and buy at least five boxes (probably more, as I've heard that there's more icy cold weather and a real possibility of more snow next week, so I'll need that extra warmth that only a brekkie of Scott's porage can provide). It's Aisle 23 for me, then. :)

So...Master of the Bra...go on...tell us about the story behind the name. My curiosity is officially piqued.

Oh, and one more question for you. Have you tried the porage since you purchased your very own box? I was chuffed when you'd written that even though you're not a big fan of porridge, you went ahead anyway and bought some Scott's, simply because of my singing its porage-y praises. I think Scott's should send me a free box for my advertising success.:D

Take care, and have a lovely weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Scotts available in Supervalu Crossmaglen today seen it at £1.69 a box I think.

If anyone wants me to get some for them let me know and we can arrange some means of delivery if necessary.

cotts available in Supervalu Crossmaglen today seen it at £1.69 a box I think.

If anyone wants me to get some for them let me know and we can arrange some means of delivery if necessary.

Thanks for the very generous offer, Gernon. I'm half-tempted to take you up on it, but we're planning a trip up north (Enniskillen or thereabouts) this weekend (weather permitting, that is - I've heard there's going to be more snow on the way...unbelievable, I know), so I'm going to take home at least 5 (probably many more) boxes of my beloved porage when we're there.

Have you ever had Scott's Porage yourself, then? If you have, what do you think? How does it compare, in your opinion, to the other brands out there? And MASTER...of the Bra? I'm still waiting to hear your verdict and first impressions.

My other half thinks this whole porage quest of mine is adorably hilarious. But for me, it's serious stuff (in a foodie sort of way, I mean...not in the scheme of existence or the meaning of life sort of way). I've recently had some porridge for brekkie - Flavahan's, if I must name names - but I sadly realised that after having Scott's, even my traditional, long-time revered and much loved porridge of choice that was Flavahan's is simply no match for Scott's porage.

Thanks again for offering a delivery service. Maybe some folks out there who've also found it next to impossible to get Scott's (or whose curiosity has gotten the better of their Flavahan-preferred taste buds) can take you up on it.

Thanks for the very generous offer, Gernon. I'm half-tempted to take you up on it, but we're planning a trip up north (Enniskillen or thereabouts) this weekend (weather permitting, that is - I've heard there's going to be more snow on the way...unbelievable, I know), so I'm going to take home at least 5 (probably many more) boxes of my beloved porage when we're there.

Have you ever had Scott's Porage yourself, then? If you have, what do you think? How does it compare, in your opinion, to the other brands out there? And MASTER...of the Bra? I'm still waiting to hear your verdict and first impressions.

My other half thinks this whole porage quest of mine is adorably hilarious. But for me, it's serious stuff (in a foodie sort of way, I mean...not in the scheme of existence or the meaning of life sort of way). I've recently had some porridge for brekkie - Flavahan's, if I must name names - but I sadly realised that after having Scott's, even my traditional, long-time revered and much loved porridge of choice that was Flavahan's is simply no match for Scott's porage.

Thanks again for offering a delivery service. Maybe some folks out there who've also found it next to impossible to get Scott's (or whose curiosity has gotten the better of their Flavahan-preferred taste buds) can take you up on it.

Haven't tryed it yet.:o

But you have two people converted, I bought a couple of boxes for the folks (eat porridge every morning) and they both agree it's the nicest they have ever eaten!!! Now this is some statment because I've picked them up every sort under the sun at some stage, all different brands with fruits or berries, organics.

They would have this over any of them!!!

I was shocked, they laughed when I told them where the recommendation came from.

Yes! Another two converts! And from two loyal every-single-day porridge enthusiasts, no less. Wow - that truly is high praise indeed for Scott's.

As much as I love my porridge ... emmm... I mean porage in the morning (especially the cold mornings), I confess that I don't/can't eat it every single morning, and do need a couple of days' break from cereal of any kind. So for your parents to sing Scott's praises out of all the other brands they've eaten, this confirms exactly what I'd been rabbitting on and on (and on...) about from the start. Once you've had Scott's, you can't really go back to 'ordinary' porridge. And I swear to you all, I am NOT a secret insider for Scott's (or is that Quaker's now? Shame that they had to go the way of so many smaller brands and be bought out by the mega companies, like Quaker's....ah well... but that's for another thread altogether) nor do I work for any supermarket trying to promote the brand :D.

So, MASTER...after all this fine testimony and high praise, don't you think it's time to jumped into the pool and had a bowl yourself? I know you'd written that you weren't a big fan of porridge...but then, this isn't porridge. This is PORAGE. Glorious, wonderful, velvety-smooth, warming and comforting on cold Irish mornings PORAGE.

Go on...try some today...you know you wanna.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Remembered reading this thread ages ago. Filmifan, I've good news for you. Amazon are now delivering groceries to Ireland and Scotts porage oats are one of the items they deliver:) http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_76_1?rh=n%3A340834031%2Ck%3Aporage+oats%2Cp_76%3A419159031&bbn=340834031&keywords=porage+oats&ie=UTF8&qid=1307817975&rnid=419157031 Free delivery over £25 so stock up:pac:

• Advertisement

Thanks for letting me know, Lindtee. It's good to know that if I'm running low on porage and can't get up to Enniskillen (nearly two hour drive from where I am), then amazon is a good go-to alternative. I'm not sure about the free shipping though - I think that only applies to UK residents.

When we went up to Enniskillen about a month ago, people were probably thinking I either have a h-u-g-e family to feed or I own a cafe (I wish!) or that perhaps I've some food 'issues' that have yet to be resolved, as I brought ten boxes of Scott's porage up to the check-out. The weather's been crazy enough lately (cold, rainy, damp, blustery) that I enjoy the comfort and the warmth that only gorgeous porage can provide as a start to the day.

I've got a fair few boxes of my 'preciouses' to get through before I need to re-stock (I'll probably get jittery when I see the supply has dwindled down to five boxes from the original ten), but for now, I'm good.

Thanks for this, though. I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future. And then of course there's the complete thrill of getting something as brilliant as my beloved Scott's porage in the morning post - talk about special delivery!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

Iceland in the Ilac Centre sell them. I don't know the price though.

That's brilliant news for porage addicts like me. Had I known this a few weeks back when we were in Dublin for a short overnight stay, I'd have gone straight into Iceland and bought another 10 boxes (can never have too much porage on standby).

Next time we head out east for another Dublin mini-holiday (I love spending time in Dublin, where my hubby's originally from), first stop will definitely be the Ilac Centre (where I might also pick up some other goodies, as well). It's been ages since we went there for a browse.

Thanks for letting me know,Merlie. You're a gem.:)

Advertisement