Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant connect to network in US - HELP

• 15-06-2009 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭

I am using an unlocked LG Renoir on the Vodafone network here in the US, but it has just said "searching" for the past 2 days without finding a network. Because its unlocked from a previous network (3 in the UK), do i have to put in seprate settings for it to work abroad, like you do to get Vodafone Live working on it?

Seriously anyone who could help, itd be greatly appreciated cos its driving me mad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Customer Care while roaming dial 00353 1 203 8232, ring and confirm roaming is activated on your account.

Try changing the network settings to 2g/gsm only.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Davy wrote: »
    Customer Care while roaming dial 00353 1 203 8232, ring and confirm roaming is activated on your account.

Try changing the network settings to 2g/gsm only.

I cant do anything with it, cant make calls or send texts so i cant call customer care. Theres probably an easy answer but its driving me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Corholio wrote: »
    I cant do anything with it, cant make calls or send texts so i cant call customer care.

Think outside the box. Use a different phone to call them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Corholio wrote: »
    I cant do anything with it, cant make calls or send texts so i cant call customer care. Theres probably an easy answer but its driving me mad.

You don't have to enter any settings to roam. The phone will pick the settings up automatically, assuming you have roaming set up.

I would say with 98% certainty, roaming is not enabled on your account.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    You don't have to enter any settings to roam. The phone will pick the settings up automatically, assuming you have roaming set up.

I would say with 98% certainty, roaming is not enabled on your account.

I was thinking that since their is a UK and US version of this phone with different bands for 3G that this may be the problem, hence me saying switch to 2g. Other than that cant think of anything else, apart for the roaming end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Davy wrote: »
    I was thinking that since their is a UK and US version of this phone with different bands for 3G that this may be the problem, hence me saying switch to 2g. Other than that cant think of anything else, apart for the roaming end.

Would it not switch to 2G automagically if it can't find a 3G signal?

In theory it should, but if the OP changed the settings, or rang vodafone it would clear things up

Thanks for all the replies seriously guys. 1 or 2 questions.

Any idea how you change to 2g on the renoir, ive had a look and cant find an option to do it?
    Ive talked to customer care online and theyve removed all possible international barrings, confirmed I am on roaming and refreshed my account but still no luck, it still says "searching" on the front screen.

Another note, it says "No PLMN" when i try and change to manually selecting networks. anyone know if this has anything to do with it? This PLMN?

Any further help is grateful as its vital i get this working.

Well PLMN means public land mobile network.

Can you get someone else's sim to try in the phone to proof its not blacklisted in the US

Was searching the net and i came across the site which has user comments, the 3rd last comment is exactly whats happened with mine, unlocked 3 Uk network not picking up any signal

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/08/22/lg-kc910-gets-official-viewty-what/

So i take it looks like i wont be able to use the phone at all while im here from the looks of that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Try going to the settings and going into connectivity, then network settings, then Network Mode. Change this to "GSM only". Then go back and go to Select Network and tap Manual. If anything comes up tap it. f that doesn't work it's unlikely anything will. If it says "No PLMN" then it means it's not picking up a network, so if that happens it's unlikely anything will work.

There is no option to change to "GSM only".

Thanks anyway though, looks like im out of luck in trying to get it to work.

Advertisement