Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Collecting money to go on a holiday in the name of charity

• 15-06-2009 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Walking the great wall of China, working a week in a Moldovan orphanage, building houses in South Africa, climbing Kilimanjaro...while puting their hand in everyone else's pocket except their own to fund their holiday.

You know who you are. You're part of the problem not part of the solution.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The money was just resting in my account! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Walking the great wall of China, working a week in a Moldovan orphanage, building houses in South Africa, climbing Kilimanjaro...while puting their hand in everyone else's pocket except their own to fund their holiday.

I got a flyer the other day from somone looking to go to Peru on a stranger funded jolly/charity trip working very hard for the dis-advantaged. So long as they stay out of Yemen they should be ok.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Some times you can take it too far as I proved when I tried collecting for a "sponsored Whore-a-thon" in Amsterdam in aid of Ruhama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Ruu wrote: »

Hand it over - I have to go walking in China, work in some orphanage, build a few houses and climb some mountain.

I need a holiday after all of that!

Robbo wrote: »
    Some times you can take it too far as I proved when I tried collecting for a "sponsored Whore-a-thon" in Amsterdam in aid of Ruhama.

Maybe it was just that the whores of Amsterdam have been done too much ? Everyone and his uncle have done that one - you might have got further picking a country where the whores were not quite so done to death. A 'sponsored whore-athon to Iceland' would have had the novelty factor going in it's favour. Lots of key demographics will jump on that one straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Couldn't agree more.

You are ment to get sponsored for unpleasant things.

Walk 1000 miles in a wet Irish bog
    24 week fast
    Cut you legs off

Not go on a free holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭CAPSLOCK365

They're always so self-rightous about it too.
    They don't like their selfishness being pointed out. The money for their food, accomodation and flights comes from the money collected. That money would pay the wages of 5 or 6 staff/workers for a couple of months in most of the countries they go on holiday to. Also, because it's paid to local people, it helps to encourage a local economy.
    They don't care though and I should just shut my face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I dont have a problem with people raising funds to go and actually do charity work but the hike up a mountain and ones like that really get my goat. I had a friend recently begging me to give up my Friday night to help her pack bags in Tesco to raise funds for a trip to Peru to hike up some mountain in the name of charity. I told her to get stuffed. Thats a holiday not charity. If you really cared about charity you would do something worthwhile like helping build houses or distributing aid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

My parents tried to get me to do that this year but I find it a bit hypocritical.
    I have no interest in helping the Irish poor so why should I fly halfway around the world to help their poor and then feel superior to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Ruu wrote: »

It was restin for a long time ted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

*cough* Isn't this a classic ranting and raving thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

yeah.

no problem if someone's going to engage with a community. it doesn't even have to be f*cking life threatening. at least go and encourage some of the people you're going to help.

my main thing is...if they're at least honest about it, i couldn't give a toss, people can then make up their own mind if its worthwhile. it's the sugar coating of of what people are doing, to make it sound like they're doing something worthwhile, when we all know they're not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

can i have a free holiday please?

smk89 wrote: »
    I have no interest in helping the Irish poor so why should I fly halfway around the world to help their poor and then feel superior to others.

That's a good point - if this really is some unselfish act why not do it in a way that does not involve

a) money from other people to pay for your
    b) going on a holiday halfway round to the world to somewhere sunny ?

There is no shortage of poor, disadvantaged/elderly etc etc in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Agreed that most are looking for money for things that aren't a sacrifice in the first place. But some of the newly trained nurses from my local hospital go to the Romanian orphanages every year and they collect money for it. I'd gladly donate to them.

Senna wrote: »
    Agreed that most are looking for money for things that aren't a sacrifice in the first place. But some of the newly trained nurses from my local hospital go to the Romanian orphanages every year and they collect money for it. I'd gladly donate to them.
    I wouldn't be staunchly against trained people going, but wouldn't exactly be for it either. There are nurses in Romania. Instead of wasting money on flights, etc, give them the money to work there.

I would also give to them to be honest. I think there is a difference in somone doing it in a professional capacity - ie a skilled nurse going to a romanian orphanage. I would not put that in the same category as some others I have seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

My answer is always....
    The local hospice is always looking for volunteers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 HL

My favourite was those guys last year who were ''travelling around the world in a hummer'' for charity. Maybe I missed something in all the fawning coverage they got from the papers at the time but it seemed wrong on so many levels that I actually wondered if it was a hoax meant as a parody of all these charity holidays - kind of like bruno adopting an African baby and calling it 'OJ' in his new film. Still makes me laugh today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

eah, my sisters always at it. The scroungin crusty cnut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Who is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I wouldn't be staunchly against trained people going, but wouldn't exactly be for it either. There are nurses in Romania. Instead of wasting money on flights, etc, give them the money to work there.

I dont think you understand what happens at all. Do you think these Irish nurses go over there to "take a job away from a Romanian nurse"? The Irish nurses are unpaid and are needed over there as ALL of these orphanages have next to no staff (and even less qualified staff) looking after 100's of kids with HIV etc
    Who gives a fcuk about the cost of a flight if they help these kids, maybe you should google the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Why not bitch about the government altogether?
    It's their fault that Crumlin's children hospital has to arrange these (aka walk in China) to raise much needed funds.
    And a lot of people do pay their own way btw...
    Hell...I bet you never did anything for charity in your life. :rolleyes:

I dont think you understand what happens at all. Do you think these Irish nurses go over there to "take a job away from a Romanian nurse"? The Irish nurses are unpaid and are needed over there as ALL of these orphanages have next to no staff (and even less qualified staff) looking after 100's of kids with HIV etc
    Who gives a fcuk about the cost of a flight if they help these kids, maybe you should google the subject.
    I don't think you understand.
    The cost of feeding, housing and accomodating these people would pay for a few Romanian nurses for a couple of months.
    As I said, I'm not really down on professionals heading over, but there are better ways to spend the money collected.

Of course most of the money wouldn't be collected at all unless these people were getting something out of it.

Also, most of the orphanages aren't full of kids with HIV.

Why not bitch about the government altogether?
    It's their fault that Crumlin's children hospital has to arrange these (aka walk in China) to raise much needed funds.
    And a lot of people do pay their own way btw...
    Hell...I bet you never did anything for charity in your life. :rolleyes:
    You sounf like one of these types.
    How much would you bet?
    You get a free car journey to my gaff to deliver the winnings. Hell, I'll even give them to charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I know someone who is off to Haiti, the poorest country in the western hemisphere. It's costing her a fortune on top of the couple of grand she is raising.

Good luck to her, it's better than these people who **** off to Oz for a year curtesy of Daddies credit card who then make out they are super cool seen the world types

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

The ones that get me are the people going to Build houses in different countries. People who couldn't hang a shelf at home but off they go to build houses in underdeveloped countries. Surely the benefit and cost saving of one trained tradesman would be far greater than bringing three untrained people who don't know one end of a spade from another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I know someone who is off to Haiti, the poorest country in the western hemisphere. It's costing her a fortune on top of the couple of grand she is raising.

Good luck to her, it's better than these people who **** off to Oz for a year curtesy of Daddies credit card who then make out they are super cool seen the world types

There is a girl here in UL that is raising money to go to Haiti as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I applied to do that but they didn't pick me to go the snobby bastards I didn't realize it was a Christian mission until I started the interview. So I was a little bit, very hungover when I did the interview, so I may have a bit of a criminal record and laughed when they asked if I would attend the daily mass. I'm not perfect big deal. In fairness I botched the interview big time after I discovered it was a Christian mission. They asked how would my friends describe me and I said lazy.

• Advertisement

You sounf like one of these types.
    How much would you bet?
    You get a free car journey to my gaff to deliver the winnings. Hell, I'll even give them to charity.

I did the NY marathon last year for Crumlin.. but also dedicated 4 nights out of every week training for it...plus off the drink for the 11 months...
    Got injured at the 14 mile mark but kept slogging on....be very unfair on those that sponsored me if I didn't finish it..
    90 people did it and over €495,000 was raised...and all of it went to Crumlin...so I fail to see how you can complain about the people that raised this money..
    Crumlin market it this way as they know that they will get more people involved this way and thus raise more money.
    I also donate a lot of money to Crumlin as I know all the good they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

No ones saying that all charity is terrible. The nurses and students helping in Romania is a good example of charity work but pointless examples such as trekking across China or cycling across Pakistan.
    What difference does it make whether you trek across Ireland or China. It just wastes money that could be spent on the poor instead of a free holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

I agree with you Senna.There is obviously a difference betweeen a nurse helping out in an orphanage and someone looking for sponsership to go walkabout in the Himalaya's!

I went on a trip to Romania a few years back (paid for by me), and a lot of people brought up the usual comments like 'why don't the locals just get in there and sort it'. Problem is a lot of the locals can't or just won't!
    Most of these people are so so poor they don't have the 'where with all' to do anything. There were a couple of Romanians running the orphanage and they were great with the kids but we hepled paint, build walls, dig and plant flower beds etc...
    It's a great boost for the orphanage workers to get this injection of cash and practical help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

heh heh heh heh

This is a growth industry folks, look around you and take cognisance.

Z list celebs are using this to get free holidays, plus RTE punters.

Don't be taken in by the rhetoric, it's a load of codswallop and I wouldn't touch it with a forty foot pole.

There are people who use this as a career path.

Just use your common sense people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭mollypop

I did the NY marathon last year for Crumlin.. but also dedicated 4 nights out of every week training for it...plus off the drink for the 11 months...
    Got injured at the 14 mile mark but kept slogging on....be very unfair on those that sponsored me if I didn't finish it..
    90 people did it and over €495,000 was raised...and all of it went to Crumlin...so I fail to see how you can complain about the people that raised this money..
    Crumlin market it this way as they know that they will get more people involved this way and thus raise more money.
    I also donate a lot of money to Crumlin as I know all the good they do.

How much would they have raised if you'd all done the Dublin marathon and 90 flights and hotels etc didnt have to be paid for? It's a complete joke TBH. Hope you had a nice holiday. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

mollypop wrote: »
    How much would they have raised if you'd all done the Dublin marathon and 90 flights and hotels etc didnt have to be paid for? It's a complete joke TBH. Hope you had a nice holiday. :rolleyes:

They paid for their flights and hotels etc themselves.

They did a hell of a lot more than most people will do.

If they didn't do the marathon Crumlin hospital would not have received almost €500k so you can roll you're eyes all you want mollypop.

• Advertisement

mollypop wrote: »

Holiday my bollix...I couldn't walk for 3 days after the marathon...bet it's a lot more than what you have done mate.;)
    And they do organise the Dublin one as well...a lot of people had done both that week..was my first marathon so never realised Crumlin did other fundraising events.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Relevant wrote: »
    The ones that get me are the people going to Build houses in different countries. People who couldn't hang a shelf at home but off they go to build houses in underdeveloped countries. Surely the benefit and cost saving of one trained tradesman would be far greater than bringing three untrained people who don't know one end of a spade from another

Worse still when it's not even untrained people but the puniest and scrawniest teenagers who look like they never leave the house or do any sort of physical activity asking you for money to let them try and build a village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Yeah I think its silly.

I know some people collect sponsorship money to run the New York marathon and that pays for their flights and accommodation:eek:

That just seems mental to me, essentially getting others to pay for your holiday. At least with things like building houses in Africa its going to be a bit of a sacrifice/not all fun and games (still think its taking the piss though).

EDIT: I see its already been discussed ;)

Holiday my bollix...I couldn't walk for 3 days after the marathon...bet it's a lot more than what you have done mate.;)
    And they do organise the Dublin one as well...a lot of people had done both that week..was my first marathon so never realised Crumlin did other fundraising events.

Eamon Coughlan is doing his job then.:cool:

Yeah I think its silly.

I know some people collect sponsorship money to run the New York marathon and that pays for their flights and accommodation:eek:

That just seems mental to me, essentially getting others to pay for your holiday. At least with things like building houses in Africa its going to be a bit of a sacrifice/not all fun and games (still think its taking the piss though).

EDIT: I see its already been discussed ;)

You've obviously never ran a marathon..it's not something you just turn up on the day and say "hey..i fancy a 26 mile run.." :)

but this has all been discussed time and time again..the thing is people give their time to charity..so they get a holiday out of it..big deal...ask Crumlim how they feel about all the people that raise them money this way every year and they won't complain.
    I think most of the begrudgers are people that think giving to charity is throwing €2 to the black baby box in order to assuage their feelings of guilt over doing fcukall to help them.
    And I hate to say this "but odds are some day your child will end up in Crumlin...and you'll be damn glad someone like me ran his heart out for 26 miles so your kid could get proper treatment".
    I'm not saying this out of meanness...but from coming across people for sponsorship it's astonishing to see how many have had kids in Crumlin or have been in there themselves when they were younger.

Indeed it's pisses me off at all the money that FF and HSE have wasted and to see sick kids suffering in hospitals like Crumlim and suffering because there's no treatment available, no beds available etc etc...:mad:

• Advertisement

TheZohan wrote: »
    They paid for their flights and hotels etc themselves.

They did a hell of a lot more than most people will do.

If they didn't do the marathon Crumlin hospital would not have received almost €500k so you can roll you're eyes all you want mollypop.

Ahem - my point was they would have recieved that + more if they didnt have to pay for flights etc. People that work for me have done it. I know for a fact(cause I asked them) that they money they raised partly paid for flights etc. What makes you so sure they paid for their own??
    I'm more the do charitable acts type than a use charity as an excuse to do something I've always wanted to do & achieve a personal goal. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ye know those people who go to Africa to build houses? Why not employ unemployed Africans to build houses? The money would go a lot further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

My uncle set up a Charity helping set up AIDs-Prevention workshops in the Transkei region of South Africa. I can't express how much I admire him - while he was there, he had to buy a coffin for a 20 year old girl who'd died of AIDs and her family couldn't afford to pay for the casket. What he saw was harrowing, disgusting and psychologically troubled him for quite a while.

Anyone who uses 'charity' as an excuse to go off on a jolly should burn in hell.

/rant

brummytom wrote: »
    My uncle set up a Charity helping set up AIDs-Prevention workshops in the Transkei region of South Africa. I can't express how much I admire him - while he was there, he had to buy a coffin for a 20 year old girl who'd died of AIDs and her family couldn't afford to pay for the casket. What he saw was harrowing, disgusting and psychologically troubled him for quite a while.

Anyone who uses 'charity' as an excuse to go off on a jolly should burn in hell.

/rant

Agreed..however by getting people over there to see what's going on they might make more of an effort to fundraise etc

An ex-boss of mine went over last year year building houses...it's wasn't a bloody holiday in Africa let me tell you...he was so upset by what he saw he vowed to do more.
    This year he decided a better way to raise money for the people who do this...he's doing a solo rowing voyage across the Atlantic by himself in September and he's raised a huge amount of money..
    He's donating all money raised for house building in Africa...so how the hell can people complain he's doing this for personal reasons or a holiday...lol...in the Atlantic ocean for 3 months being wet and miserable...away from his family...eating army rations etc...yeah..it's some holiday alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

You've obviously never ran a marathon..it's not something you just turn up on the day and say "hey..i fancy a 26 mile run.." :)

Actually I have and I found it an immensely rewarding experience (not to mention one I paid to do).

but this has all been discussed time and time again..the thing is people give their time to charity..so they get a holiday out of it..big deal...ask Crumlim how they feel about all the people that raise them money this way every year and they won't complain.
    I think most of the begrudgers are people that think giving to charity is throwing €2 to the black baby box in order to assuage their feelings of guilt over doing fcukall to help them.
    And I hate to say this "but odds are some day your child will end up in Crumlin...and you'll be damn glad someone like me ran his heart out for 26 miles so your kid could get proper treatment".
    I'm not saying this out of meanness...but from coming across people for sponsorship it's astonishing to see how many have had kids in Crumlin or have been in there themselves when they were younger.

See I think the difference is you see the money raised and the New York marathon as inextricably linked, I do not.

If you had run Dublin (or Edinburugh/Paris/Berlin/London/Rotterdam/Amsterdam or any European marathon and paid for yourself) would people not have sponsored you?

The bottom line is a large amount of money was spent on flights and accommodation, you did not pay for it yourself so who did? The people who sponsored you.
    Indeed it's pisses me off at all the money that FF and HSE have wasted and to see sick kids suffering in hospitals like Crumlim and suffering because there's no treatment available, no beds available etc etc...:mad:

You keep having a go at the government but surely if it is necessary for Crumlin hospital to provide flights to and accommodation in New York to get people to do their bit for charity the problem is more with society than with the Government?

You keep having a go at the government but surely if it is necessary for Crumlin hospital to provide flights to and accommodation in New York to get people to do their bit for charity the problem is more with society than with the Government?

Of course it's the Government's fault.
    If Crumlin had enough money they wouldn't have to close wards or send out begging letters every year to make ends meet.

Load of rubbish.

These punters who do "challenges" are nothing more than attention whores who crave recognition from the masses.

It's gone beyond a joke pal.

What will it be next.??

Climb Kilinamjaro with a red hot poker up your hole and pole vault down on a fcukin pogo stick??

If you REALLY want to do something, give your TIME, I say again ,TIME in Ireland doing the unsung mundane things the charities thrive on.

However there is no dividend for the dooer in that.

Have a bit of sense,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I know of two people collecting money for these kinds of trips.

One wants to 'raise awareness' for a charity that isn't remotely related to the Caribbean island he wants to cycle around.

The other wants to build houses in Mozambique, for all three weeks of his trip.

I don't think it fair to lump these two kinds of trips together.

Agreed..however by getting people over there to see what's going on they might make more of an effort to fundraise etc

An ex-boss of mine went over last year year building houses...it's wasn't a bloody holiday in Africa let me tell you...he was so upset by what he saw he vowed to do more.
    This year he decided a better way to raise money for the people who do this...he's doing a solo rowing voyage across the Atlantic by himself in September and he's raised a huge amount of money..
    He's donating all money raised for house building in Africa...so how the hell can people complain he's doing this for personal reasons or a holiday...lol...in the Atlantic ocean for 3 months being wet and miserable...away from his family...eating army rations etc...yeah..it's some holiday alright.

If someone came round to my desk and said I'm raising for x charity by:
    - Fasting for 24 hours
    - Running the Dublin marathon
    - Climbing the Sugar Loaf(easy I know!)
    - Running the NY marathon
    - Rowing around the world
    They would all get the exact same ammount of money.

I have more time for people who organise BBQ's. table quizes etc with no personal goal at the end. You get something for your money and some of your money goes to charity. The only reason someone would say they're going to row to America is if they want to achieve this goal. Charity is just an excuse.

I want to do a parachute jump, but it's too expensive :( oh wait.....I'll have 10 euro off everyone please. Charity TBD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Fair play to all those who do this stuff to raise money. At least they are getting off their holes to do something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement