Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of paper error soars to €1.7m??? HOW?

Options
  • 15-06-2009 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

According to the independent at http://www.independent.ie/education/latest-news/cost-of-paper-error-soars-to-836417m-1770995.html

"
    THE cost of re-running the English exam paper last Saturday has risen to €1.7m, almost double what was originally estimated.
    The new figure was revealed by Education Minister Batt O'Keeffe, who apologised to the 50,000 students and their families for the inconvenience caused. Mr O'Keeffe also spelled out the errors made by the superintendent who distributed English paper 2 instead of English paper 1 at St Oliver's Community College, Drogheda, Co Louth.
    The mistake meant details of paper 2 were leaked online and the exam had to be rescheduled for last Saturday. The cost of rearranging it was initially estimated at €1m, but is now likely to be €700,000 more.

The costs of rescheduling the examination are estimated to be up to €1.7m, and arise from the extra cost of school transport, payment of superintendents, attendants and examination aides."

now this is way way way more than what this would cost in the reality i live in, so can anybody help me understand how in the hell they round it off to 1.7million???

my instinct is that this is robbery hidden in plain view...

what do you all think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Cant for the life of me work that one out. How many supervisors are there? 50,000 students, makes a max of 2,000 I would say, costs max €250 pp = 500,000. Bus? How many students take a school bus, cant be that many? Say 1,000 buses at €150 per bus. lots of other costs like overtime for staff to open the building and so on but €1.7m is a lot. Sendingthe papers down couldnt cost that much either. The guesstimate figures I gave here would I think be exaggerated so I think on this one O'Keefe needs to explain the breakdown. Or have I got this arseways?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,250 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

And I presume the man who caused this is still in a job?

Can't imagine any private sector worker keeping their job after losing 1.7 million tbh.

Advertisement